window tint

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The video makes it look badass. Still skeptical though.

o yea me too but I've seen it in office windows and have hit it before with a hammers and its strong but won't keep you out if you really want to get in but im thinking of order it just for the hell of it its cheap and I need tint

After doing some more research, this stuff works pretty well. The only downside is, a thief can hit the window with a hammer, then "fold" down the broken glass. Still takes alot more work/effort/time to get into the car.
I would defiantly buy it if I was confident enough to install it myself.

I good friend on mine had this stuff on his 93 Mustang when he worked at car audio shop. The thief was able to break the glass and fold down the window all WITHOUT the glass break sensor going of on his alarm. Good thing the thief set of the shock sensor trying to pull his box out the window.

man he really wanted that box most people would have gave up after it didn't shatter

anybody use this stuff yet?
if so, is it easy to install?

Wow real old thread but just wanted to up date this.I used this stuff on my ranger and I can not say enough good things about it SUPER easy to install and fit perfectly. Being the 4 mil security film its really easy to work with..... Highly recommended;)

Back done front not
20130630_160025_zps310d99a8.jpg

Before.old pic
20130330_182021_zpsfbff80cc.jpg

After
20130703_161308_zps3c5343a9.jpg

i have also ordered this same tint from ebay. easy and turned out great!
before(about the best i got):
IMG_20130416_181923_zps590a5b3f.jpg

after:
IMG_20130801_181613_zps3310bf7d.jpg

just the middle window:
IMG_20130801_154932_zps2150abda.jpg

Looks real good with the red paint.guess we should add both was 35%.

Also ill add, because your pics show it.things i did and you did to make it easier.the rear latch needs to be removed, biggest pain of the whole job.check around the gaskets on the rear window for any glue that may have been squished out, trim if any.remove the front door panels and lower window gasket, makes much eaiser.I left the gaskets out for a couple days just to let it fully cure.does not effect window working.
And clean clean clean clean the windows and use a razor blade to check for anything stuck to the windows...clean and clean again:salute:

It works to protect, I learned this lesson today. Some redneck seal coaters flung a rock with their Weed wackier, and smashed my passenger side window, the tint held it in place, it was surprisingly solid for it all being shattered... Bad news for me, They completely denied it happening, so now I am out $35 for new glass... Good news I now get 5%, which I wanted in the first place. I learned to tint from my Dad, who has been doing it professionally since the 80's, so if anybody wants me to make a video on how to apply it, let me know I can do it once I get the tint.

It works to protect, I learned this lesson today. Some redneck seal coaters flung a rock with their Weed wackier, and smashed my passenger side window, the tint held it in place, it was surprisingly solid for it all being shattered... Bad news for me, They completely denied it happening, so now I am out $35 for new glass... Good news I now get 5%, which I wanted in the first place. I learned to tint from my Dad, who has been doing it professionally since the 80's, so if anybody wants me to make a video on how to apply it, let me know I can do it once I get the tint.

Are you using the security film also or just regular tint??

Are you using the security film also or just regular tint??

Regular Johnson and Johnson tint. J&J is good quality tint, my Dad has been using it for many years, and it pretty much never turns purple, and has a very high scratch resistance. After this little, mishap I will call it, I am sold on tint for life. of course less quality tints I can not speak for, like stuff sold at Walmart, or Autozone.

Regular Johnson and Johnson tint. J&J is good quality tint, my Dad has been using it for many years, and it pretty much never turns purple, and has a very high scratch resistance. After this little, mishap I will call it, I am sold on tint for life. of course less quality tints I can not speak for, like stuff sold at Walmart, or Autozone.

This stuff we used is the 4mil security film.its way thicker and is shatter proof:hammer:
And from what I know its the ammonia in Windex or other cleaners that makes it turn purple or the old cheap dye tint.almost all the new tint is metallic or ceramic.

Metilized tint is awesome, and has completely mainstream. The Walmart tints are the older style which will turn purple. Ceramic tint cuts down on UV light a lot and can still be clear while reducing the UV light, only thing about ceramic tint is if you fold it once, you are done. The older tint would also turn purple due to age, and light hitting it, the ammonia in windex actually attacks the glue and the slowly over time and repeated uses will release the tint from the window. That is what we use to remove old tint actually it sucks to do, but it works so quick, it is totally worth it. So don't use Ammonia on any tint, or it will fail. I use invisable glass, it says tint safe, and I have had no issues, vinegar and water also works, just do a 50/50 mix and it works great! I have never had an issue with regular tint failing to hold broken glass into place. That security glass sucks to handle and install, and it has one HUGE flaw, unless you put it on the entire peice of glass you can still enter the vehicle, you cannot get anything blow the rain seal, and you should also leave a small gap all the way around the window so the seals don't peel back the film. So really no tint is perfect, it does help, but I do it more for looks, and I terror damage then security, then protection from theft, if they want something they will get it.

That security glass sucks to handle and install, and it has one HUGE flaw, unless you put it on the entire peice of glass you can still enter the vehicle, you cannot get anything blow the rain seal, and you should also leave a small gap all the way around the window so the seals don't peel back the film. .

I would totally disagree! !!! It is 50 times easier to handle and was 50 times easier to install......have you read any of this thread??? Was one of the best things about it..also if you read we removed the inside gasket to tint the front Windows, so the tint goes below it. .""rain guard""" are you installing tint on the outside??you only leave a SMALL gap around the sides and top of the front.the gap is so small that the glass stays together in the track and prevents it from being easily being pushed in or completely shattering. .all the other windows the tint fits flush up against the gasket...

This thread is about a certain type of tint being installed. .not a discussion of preference or lesson on tint..lets keep it on subject:salute:

I would totally disagree! !!! It is 50 times easier to handle and was 50 times easier to install......have you read any of this thread??? Was one of the best things about it..also if you read we removed the inside gasket to tint the front Windows, so the tint goes below it. .""rain guard""" are you installing tint on the outside??you only leave a SMALL gap around the sides and top of the front.the gap is so small that the glass stays together in the track and prevents it from being easily being pushed in or completely shattering. .all the other windows the tint fits flush up against the gasket...

This thread is about a certain type of tint being installed. .not a discussion of preference or lesson on tint..lets keep it on subject:salute:

I was just giving a general outline if tint I guess. I personally have an issue with the thickness of the tint, granted it doesn't blow around like other tints do, but bubbles are harder to get out, and shrinking it for curved glass is a huge pain. I cut the tint on the outside, and install it on the inside, customers do not take kindly to removing there inner seal to put on tint, especially if you need to take off the entire door panel. The small gap is really not that bad, but at the bottom of the window, where it attaches to the metal rail, is the issue I have seen. I am purely talking about tint from an installers standpoint, and experience, I know how to tint, because I have been doing it for over 10 years, my father has been doing it since the 80's...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was just giving a general outline if tint I guess. I personally have an issue with the thickness of the tint, granted it doesn't blow around like other tints do, but bubbles are harder to get out, and shrinking it for curved glass is a huge pain. I cut the tint on the outside, and install it on the inside, customers do not take kindly to removing there inner seal to put on tint, especially if you need to take off the entire door panel. The small gap is really not that bad, but at the bottom of the window, where it attaches to the metal rail, is the issue I have seen. I am purely talking about tint from an installers standpoint, and experience, I know how to tint, because I have been doing it for over 10 years, my father has been doing it since the 80's...

hey man, I noticed your location says mchenry. I'm in crystal lake, but I'm always out that way hangin with my buddies. Do you tint windows on the side?

Back