Window Tinting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window Tinting

JETZ

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Got the tint done on the car today, and picked up my Weathertech mats. Friday, I'm getting the 3M Venture Shield installed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what % tint is that? does it look the same as the factory back windows? My previous car I had them match the back windows, hard to tell a difference, but ended up being too dark for my liking

Seriously anyone know the %tage of the Stock tint? I'm thinking its time I do the fronts, cuz Lord knows if I end up going to Texas I will need it!

I've always thought the factory rear tint on most SUVs, minivans, etc is around 20%. Unfortunately, the legal limit for front driver/passenger in most states is 35% (not sure how tightly enforced state by state). Even when you go 20% on the fronts, it doesn't always look as dark since the windshield isn't tinted and allows lots of light. I'm getting mine done soon and will likely go 35% for legal reasons (though I've typically gone 20% in the past with no problems).

Seriously anyone know the %tage of the Stock tint? I'm thinking its time I do the fronts, cuz Lord knows if I end up going to Texas I will need it!

I tinted my fronts to 20% and they're a pretty good match to the rears. I'll get a couple pictures tomorrow when I pull it out of the garage.

Nice!! Looking forward to your pics too.

i think the rears are closer to 35%. when i had my windows done last week, he put the tint on the front windows first (35%) to see if i'd want the rears tinted, and with the fronts tinted, the back didn't look so dark anymore. so he added 40% to the back windows and now the backs are closer to 20%. and my tint guy mentioned that the factory darkened windows don't have UV protection.

and my tint guy mentioned that the factory darkened windows don't have UV protection.

Privacy glass does have UV properties BUT it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and further from window to window. For example, rear passenger privacy glass windows might offer say a 70% UV reduction whilst the cargo windows and rear screen might only offer a 20% reduction. Is this both UVA and UVB? I honestly don't know. I think the Tacoma is 80% on the rear cargo, ans 15% on the rear/bed glass.

From the Flex Forum:

I emailed the factory about the UV protection provided by the privacy glass on a Flex and this was the response:

<header snipped>
My name is Mayzel from Ford Customer Service Department. I sincerely appreciate the time that you have taken to write us with your feedback regarding the UV protection of the privacy glass of your 2011 Ford Flex.

In an effort to assist you, I have personally looked up my resources and found out that your 2011 Ford Flex privacy glass has a 98 percent of ultraviolet (UV) light. In addition, there are some vehicles that are also equipped with this specific feature, like the 2010 Ford Taurus and Lincoln MKS and MKT.

I hope this information helps you. Thank you for contacting Ford. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Sincerely,

Mayzel
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

Privacy glass does have UV properties BUT it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and further from window to window. For example, rear passenger privacy glass windows might offer say a 70% UV reduction whilst the cargo windows and rear screen might only offer a 20% reduction. Is this both UVA and UVB? I honestly don't know. I think the Tacoma is 80% on the rear cargo, ans 15% on the rear/bed glass.

From the Flex Forum:

I would imagine (wishful thinking) that our Dual Sunroof would atleast have it!

Too bad Cory doesn't come on this side of the house to confirm the Privacy Glass on the Explorer.

I can't imagine that the vista doesn't have something, I had read somewhere that they have a nickel coating to reflect rays, otherwise it would be unbearable in there during the summer.

Took a quick pic.

IMAG0001.jpg

Had all the windows done in 20%. I'll see how I like the fronts, maybe go darker.

Your tint looks good. I had the dealer install 20% on the rear and 30% up front. I do not like the blue hue on the windshield at the top. Any idea if there is a remedy for that or just get a new windshield? I use my 12 Ex for emergency responses and I have an interior lightbar which dims the light thus looking how to have a clear eyebrow up top. Per Safelite and another local glass dealer there is no glass without the tint up top. I find that hard to believe. Thoughts?

It's true most come with the hue.

What level of tint best matches the rear Windows? I have seen pictures of 20&30%.

20% matches closest on most SUVs.

I have my fronts tinted to 20% and it's a perfect match to the rears. I bought my tint on eBay pre-cut from elite tint and did them myself.

I have my fronts tinted to 20% and it's a perfect match to the rears. I bought my tint on eBay pre-cut from elite tint and did them myself.

Are you happy with them, I would get charged about $200.00 to do them here in Canada. They aren't legal, so you get charged an arm and a leg to have it installed. *Edited, I didn't read before i posted!
Thanks a bunch!

Are you happy with them, I would get charged about $200.00 to do them here in Canada. They aren't legal, so you get charged an arm and a leg to have it installed. *Edited, I didn't read before i posted!
Thanks a bunch!

This was my first attempt at window tinting and I am pretty pleased with the results. I watched the local tint guy do our 2010 Fusion and it didn't look hard at all. I have a couple little dust specs in the tint, but so does the job I paid $275 for on the Fusion. As soon as the weather warms up some, I'm going to order a full window kit for my '12 Mustang and give that a go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks a bunch!
Tint Law for Alberta is the same as for B.C. according to what I found on the Internet.
No film is allowed on the driver's or front passenger's side windows. The side windows behind the driver may have any kind of film applied and that also applies to the rear window as long as the vehicle is equipped with two exterior rear view mirrors.

Peter

Back