• Register Today It's free!

Window UN-tint

ghostbuster88

Reaction score
City, State
WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
Anyone know where I can get clear glass (if they even made it) for a 1992 explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's out there. Though very rare. I have seen un-tinted 1st gen windows on base stripped versions. Call a glass company up, like safelite & see if they can locate it.

Cool. Checked craigslist for some 1991 and there are a few with untinted. Don't know why i didnt notice earlier lol. Gonna find one for parts and see if theyll send the glass.

Curious why you want clear glass?

my 91 has tint in the rear but its very very very light, almost as if its untinted but i have been told that it actually is btu not much.. is this what you are tryong to get rid of or what you wanted? with mine you only realize its tinted when it gets dew on the glass over night.

Bulldozer - makin a Jurassic Park tour suv and the movie one had clear glass

Bulldozer - makin a Jurassic Park tour suv and the movie one had clear glass

Ahh gotcha. If you have any junk yards nearby I'd go look around, wouldn't be surprised if you can find it.

Junkyard for sure. I've tried the craigslist thing and it's hard to get someone to sell you just the glass. The clear glass isn't impossible to find but the rear hatch glass without factory defrost is the holy grail of the JP clear glass. Good luck!

I have a passengers rear that is clear.came with the door I pulled.know it doesn't do you any good but if you was close you could have it;)

jd4242 - no prob lol.

Was at the junkyard the other day and saw a bunch of explorers but they were all tinted. and 94

I looked at the OEM Ford site and the glass says green tint w/o defroster, is that considered the clear like in the movie or is there another kind?

I looked at the OEM Ford site and the glass says green tint w/o defroster, is that considered the clear like in the movie or is there another kind?

It should be NO tint, w/o defrost.

Blue91Ex - would you be able to post a pic of your glass, just want to see if it's what i need.

IT has the light green tint i believe, but i could see if i have any pics that show the possible tint. i also have rear defrost though and it was the decked out XLT model for 91.

undercoat.jpg

guess the rearmost ones are very slightly tinted.
oh and ignore the black on the rockers, i was seeing how undercoating would look using windows paint lol.

if you look at the bottom corner of the glass it'll say AS2 or AS3. AS2 is clear, AS3 is factory tint. Found a few Explorers with AS2 on the rear passenger windows but no luck on the rears and hatch yet... Hard to find!

Back