• Register Today It's free!

Window washer question

no1sirbutler

Reaction score
City, State
Fairmont, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I have a 99 XLT. The previous owner said the front washers quit working and since the rear wiper didnt work, "he switched the wires around". So now when you push in on the rear wiper button to spray the rear window, the front washers squirt. I have fixed the rear wiper and now want to fix the washers. Do you guys know what he might have been talking about by switching the wires? Ive looked and it seems to have only one washer tank on it. Is this correct also?

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes, only one washer tank. sounds like he was messing with the multi function switch. might have been the switch that failed all along. if he switched a wire.... should be in the steering column. if you feel like this is a project you want to tackle, i can get you the wiring schematic.

Yes Im up for the challenge. If you dont mind, I would love the schematic.

I was also wondering if maybe the guy just switched the hoses around. Is this even possible?

I'd imagine he switched the wires or hoses back at the pump. Since the front and rear washer buttons are so far apart on the dash, I doubt he did anything up there.

I think the pump is built onto the tank. Pop it open and see what you see. :)

There are two pipes coming out of the pump.

One goes to the windshield, the other goes to the tailgate.

The pump is a DC motor so reversing the polarity of the cables to the pump motor will cause it to change direction.

To wash the windshield (for want of argument) the pump turns clockwise, to wash the tailgate the pump will turn (again for want of argument) the pump will turn anti-clockwise.

It is possible that just the pipes were changed over on the pump.

There is very little spare pipe to play with and other bits have to be removed to get access to the pump.

Check the wiring harness to the pump to see if there is evidence that the cable were cut and reversed.

If they were then pressing the rear screen wash buttom would cause the pump to turn in the opposite direction than was intended and water would be sent along the pipe that goes to the windshield.

ok sorry it took me a while. They are on two different circuits. completely. the issue might be in the fuse box, or like phlawford said, pipes got switched. i honestly don't see any wires in the circuits that could have been bypassed besides at the fusebox.

Did some testing today and found out whats wrong. He switched the hoses around. Also found out that the switches are working properly and the pump is failing for the windshield. Can you guys reccomend a place to get one or is the local junk yard the best bet?

Mike

Dealer may sell it complete with the bottle. You would need to check.

Dorman, Cardone, etc may offer it. NAPA's service line may offer it. Worth a call.

Everyone's right on track... It's a bidirectional pump, controlled by a relay, controlled by the GEM. If the wiring checks out, you need a new pump. (Not uncommon). Any parts store should be able to get it for you. IIRC, it just snaps into the bottom of the tank.

-Joe

Mike. Just to check this out. On mine, the pipe for the Rear is closest to the inside fender and the one for the Winshiedl is closest to the Engine.

I am curious as to why the motor would run one way and not the other.
There are only 2 wires to the pump, so if there is a relay in the circuit, as mentioned above by Joe, it may be the relay.

Have you applied 12 volts direct to the pump and checked it runs both ways ?

Clip a multimeter to the connector and see if you get a changed polarity 12 volts output at the connector.

I don't have a schematic so can't help with detail. just the logic.

Peter ~

Back