• Register Today It's free!

windows and doors

soon2bsick

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mountaineer
I'm gonna pile all my questions into one regarding the issues with my 2000 mercury mountaineer that I just purchased, If you can answer all, or any I would appreciate the help

Even if you just link me to a similar post with an answer I would be very grateful.

1- Back/hutch door wont open, (handle doesnt feel like its catching at all) I have to remove the interior panel and pull a metal piece to unlatch it. It doesn't seem like the locks are making it unlock. Any tips?

2- Back door behind drivers side door will not open, inside or out. After fooling with it for a couple minutes the handle broke on one side. It opened once or twice yesterday but the handle would have to be pulled way up and out before it would open (like it was stretched out or something). but today it wouldn't open at all, and as a result of trying to fix it the outside handle broke and the inside handle doesn't open it like if the child safety locks were on.

3- The backdoor behind the passengers side door will not open from the inside, I fooled with the child safety lock latch but either way I set it, I could still not open the door from the inside.

4- Every window in the mountaineer rolls down, however they only roll down if you use the controls on the drivers door. None of the other window buttons work on the other three doors.

If you have any knowledge about any of these things I would greatly appreciate the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Merry Christmas Everyone,

any advise on my questions?

As for #4 there is a rocker switch below all the power window switches on the driver door. If it's in the lock mode only the driver can roll the windows down. I forget which way is locked. I think locked is to the right and to the left is unlocked.

1. Most likely you have a broken rear handle. You'll need a replacement form either a boneyard or a new one. The tabs tend to break off after time... At least that's what mine was doing when I got it. New handle fixed 'er up.

2. The rod may be off inside the door. Pull the interior panel and see if it is attached to the yellow clip by the door handle (exterior)

3. Your interior handles may be broken or stretched. Mine were sprung, and I needed to replace them. Basically they stretch (for lack of a better term) and have to be pulled way out in ordder to trip the door latch.

4. Check the switch like Dan said- sometimes the lettering gets worn off and you don't know it's a window lock... :)

I had the same problem with 00 Explorer I just got from a friend.
He always left his widows down and you could see the water marks inside with all the door panels removed.
Also he seldom used the rear doors so they froze solid. (child latches too)
after pulling the panels off all the doors I sprayed the with crc penetrant oil and worked them
with my hands and a big long screw driver after a while the guts worked loose and then I wiped all clean and sprayed them again .
I also had to bend some parts back in order from them being forced and not working.
They all work now but that darn ajar light stays.
I replaced one inner handle auto zone $9.99.
I even spayed the lock motor with WD 40 and worked them by hand and got more extension from them.
It is hard to get a look inside but you can with a flash light and looking at the right angle
A little patience and lube and all will be well.

Back