• Register Today It's free!

Windows stopped working

RoccoMitolo

Reaction score
City, State
Northeastern Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
In advance, thank you for any and all help and advice.

Saturday, my power windows stopped working. I stopped by an advance auto parts to pick up a new fuse...Checked them both, they are fine. Both relays are also good. I took the door latch panel off and the cover to window switches, had the tech at AAP check the plug that goes into the switches, no power. The rubber sleeve that covers the wires from the door into the vehicle is fully intact, so it doesn't look like there has been any pinching or damage to the wires. I don't know where else to look or what to check.

Thanks again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The breakage in the door wires comes from opening/closing the door not just from being pinched. You need to inspect/tug on the wires to see if any are broken.

My drivers window stops when its cold and if I hit the door panel it works again. Only when its cold though. Never when its warm.

My drivers window stops when its cold and if I hit the door panel it works again. Only when its cold though. Never when its warm.

If hitting the door panel makes the window work again then I would check the window switches for a sticky switch or check the wires that run thru the drivers door boot. More common for the wires to break from what I know.

If hitting the door panel makes the window work again then I would check the window switches for a sticky switch or check the wires that run thru the drivers door boot. More common for the wires to break from what I know.

Thanks. I have not even bothered to diagnose mine. Was just giving him something to try if he needed to get the window to at least move for now.

My Windstar did this same thing. After awhile the windows quit completely. After taking it apart multiple times and having it work for a short time I replaced the motors and it works great now.
My guess is the window motors are on their way to the boneyard.

Back