• Register Today It's free!

windshield interchangability

Webchar

Reaction score
City, State
Brantford
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 explorer xlt v6 4.0
hey guys i have a 2006 explorer xlt. my windshield has a massive crack in it and i need to replace it before winter. i thought instead of getting one from ford ill check my local scrap yard where I have had luck with other parts. when my hatch window was smashed i bought a third gen full hatch with glass and it bolted right up. also had to replace my mirrors with a third gen. anyways i looked and they have no fourth gens in the yard. i took a good look at the third gen windshield and they look similar but i need re assurance. i have found no threads or anything to help so im asking you guys if you know its possible or have seen it done. other parts have matched so im hoping the windshield will too. any help is appreciated thanks guys

hey guys i have a 2006 explorer xlt. my windshield has a massive crack in it and i need to replace it before winter. i thought instead of getting one from ford ill check my local scrap yard where I have had luck with other parts. when my hatch window was smashed i bought a third gen full hatch with glass and it bolted right up. also had to replace my mirrors with a third gen. anyways i looked and they have no fourth gens in the yard. i took a good look at the third gen windshield and they look similar but i need re assurance. i have found no threads or anything to help so im asking you guys if you know its possible or have seen it done. other parts have matched so im hoping the windshield will too. any help is appreciated thanks guys

Had my 2010 Front windshield replaced with a 3rd party windshield. I had them replace it with one from Ford within a week. I notice a considerable amount of excess wind noise with the third party. I did some research and found out that, only OEM part would work to elevate wind noise. Seems that 3rd party windshields have a slightly different curve to them, hence the wind noise.

Just the luck of the draw maybe, but I had windshields replaced on my '05 and '10 with aftermarket (Safelite) glass and never had a problem. I did, however, ask for OEM on my '14 Jeep GC because of the options (auto wipers, auto headlights, etc).

Back