windshield removal

Premier

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
How do I remove my windshield? Its smashed to **** if that matters.. Is there a special tool I would need?
TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd recommend calling a glass company.

Eneurb said:
I'd recommend calling a glass company.

word

-=bmacd=-

I assume this is on the black one, so a bit of prying won't be too scarry.
There is a trim ring all the way around your windshield. Work this loose and remove.
Now there may be a seal ring under there that will also be removed.
The window is held in place with this super sticky tar like stuff, and it will be a pain to get it all out of the window channel. With it being shattered you have a small advantage of not having to worry about damage, but It will be tedious. Installation is the reverse of assembly, Though hopefully someone will chime in with the name of the black goop.

Note I have never done this to an Explorer, but in looking at mine before writing this. It appears to ber the same as my mustang. I changed that one twice. It did leak a little though the first time :(

I just removed the windsheild from my 92 Ranger. What a pain! Glass was already cracked. Took awhile but was finally able to get a steak knife betwen the body and glass and started from there. The glue was super hard, so I ended up just kicking out the glass (what a mess) from the inside. Once the glass was out I took a boxcutter knife and removed the adhesive. Had a Moble glass installer come out the following week and install the new one. The reason I did this was that I needed to repair some rust spots under the glass. The windshield adhesive from what I was told was not available anywhere to the average consumer, at least here in Hawaii.

Well, yes and no.
You do not NEED special tools but it sure makes the job easier.

You can get the hand tool from Harbor Freight for less than twenty bucks.
Of if you are anxious to spend money they have power tools to do the trick.
( called window knife ) They come in both pnumatic and electric.
I would recomend having a pro do the task.

Dreamer, I am not too sure where your information came form but I don't think it is accurate for Explorers.

The main reason that I would also recommend a professional is not for the removal portion of the job, but to properly install the glass so it seals and remains sealed. Also (most) windshield companys have the chemicals and knowledge to deal with any rust that may be uncovered when the glass is removed.
dreamr said:
Though hopefully someone will chime in with the name of the black goop.

I believe it's called urethane.

MONMIX said:
Dreamer, I am not too sure where your information came form but I don't think it is accurate for Explorers.

dreamr said:
Note I have never done this to an Explorer, but in looking at mine before writing this. It appears to be about the same as my mustang. I changed that one twice. It did leak a little though the first time

I wasn't too sure about an explorer :D

Eneurb said:
The main reason that I would also recommend a professional is not for the removal portion of the job, but to properly install the glass so it seals and remains sealed. Also (most) windshield companys have the chemicals and knowledge to deal with any rust that may be uncovered when the glass is removed.
I believe it's called urethane.
I would also recommend a profession glass installer. But I disagree on the rust prevention. Most glass companys are out there to remove your old glass and install new (not to cure any rust problem). If anything they may slap on some rust converter or something, but that is about it. Take a peek at my Windshield Rust Repair thread. It has lots of pics and info on repairing the rust damage. I called my glass company and explained I needed a new windshield, but needed to repair window lip rust damage. They had no problem coming out twice to my house; Once on a Friday to remove the old glass and then again on Monday to install the new glass after my rust repair was finished.

It does have the little strip like dreamr said.. Im going to go pull it out right now, and then do what rscotts1 did, and use a steak knife to get in there(cutco :D). The glue shouldnt be that bad, because the windshield isnt even 6 months old :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. Oh, should I save that seal, or just get a new one? I plan to just silicone the **** outa the new one, if I cant find the urethane.

use urathane and urathane only.
Windshields are designed to support a certian amount of weight, and pressure.
With out urathane that aint gonna happen. This is a safety issue.

Visit a windshield shop. I don't think they will have any objections to you bying a tube of urathane. Just make sure you put on the right amount and keep the bead even and consistant. Too much and it oozes every where, not enough and it leaks.

Well, like dreamr said its on my black one, and wil be trail only. I cant get the windshield out anyway.. :mad:

I would still urathane it in.
Safety.

Trail rigs have been known to roll ya know :)

Back