Windshield wiper fluid delay is scratching my windshield. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windshield wiper fluid delay is scratching my windshield.

rs2k

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
My windshield has a glaze over it that is really noticeable at night. I'm planning on getting a new windshield but I want to fix the reason behind the problem before doing so.

When I press the button to spray fluid on the windshield the wipers will immediately start moving and will fully extend before the fluid starts hitting the windshield. I live in a dusty area which means dry wipers hit dry and dusty windshield. Most vehicles either have a delay or the fluid will hit before the wipers start moving. Any idea what I can do to remedy this? Maybe the fluid should be coming out quicker than it currently is? Maybe I can put a delay circuit in the wipers? (I have a 555 and 556 timers laying around that would do the trick)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My windshield has a glaze over it that is really noticeable at night. I'm planning on getting a new windshield but I want to fix the reason behind the problem before doing so.

When I press the button to spray fluid on the windshield the wipers will immediately start moving and will fully extend before the fluid starts hitting the windshield. I live in a dusty area which means dry wipers hit dry and dusty windshield. Most vehicles either have a delay or the fluid will hit before the wipers start moving. Any idea what I can do to remedy this? Maybe the fluid should be coming out quicker than it currently is? Maybe I can put a delay circuit in the wipers? (I have a 555 and 556 timers laying around that would do the trick)
I think there should be a check valve in the washer pump to prevent the fluid from draining out of the hoses. You will probably have to remove the washer fluid reservoir to remove the pump. Assuming that the hoses are in good condition.

ah, that makes sense. I should just be able to put a check valve in between the pump and the hoses then. The hoses seem fine.

The check valve helped a lot, the fluid motor is still delayed though. I think the relay is slow. I'm going to try replacing it and if it works, get a new windshield. Only $129 + tax for a new windshield installed.

The check valve helped a lot, the fluid motor is still delayed though. I think the relay is slow. I'm going to try replacing it and if it works, get a new windshield. Only $129 + tax for a new windshield installed.

That's odd. My ex sprays before it wipes.

I do know that sometimes the little T piece that splits from the pump to the wiper squirters will break/leak. Mine was leaking, so I replaced it with a plastic piece from like home depot or something. Quick and easy fix to that. Open your hood, have someone press wipers fluid and see if it leaks anywhere..

There's no leak and I bench tested the two relays that seem to be part of the washer motor system and they checked out fine. When I press the button to wash the windshield the wipers start immediately but the relays for the washer motor don't get power for at least half a second. This causes about 1/4 to 1/2 of the windshield to get rubbed by dry wipers.

Any ideas on where to look?

I'm going to start going over wiring diagrams.

There's no leak and I bench tested the two relays that seem to be part of the washer motor system and they checked out fine. When I press the button to wash the windshield the wipers start immediately but the relays for the washer motor don't get power for at least half a second. This causes about 1/4 to 1/2 of the windshield to get rubbed by dry wipers.

Any ideas on where to look?

I'm going to start going over wiring diagrams.

WFIW mine does just about the same thing. Push the button, wipers start moving, then the spray starts. I've considered it normal operation. I have even considered installing a push button just for the washer spray. I think it just takes that long for the spray motor to start. But then, my windshield is not getting scratched, yet. And I park mine under a tree where it gets leaves, dust, bird droppings, and anything else that blows around.

It's very dusty in Kansas. Leave the car outside the garage for an hour and there's already a layer of dust.

The washer motor starts as soon as it get power. Same with the relays. It's the power not getting to the relays for at least half a second that's causing the problem.

I think I'm going to find the wire from the MFS that leads to the button and run it directly to the relay so the motor starts instantly.

It's very dusty in Kansas. Leave the car outside the garage for an hour and there's already a layer of dust.

Quit exaggerating. it only takes 5 minutes--:(

I think most of it comes from Oklahoma--;)

Out of curiosity I tried the 2000 Mountaineer washer on our truck, and here was what I observed.

Upon pushing the washer switch, wipers moved about 4 inches before spray occured. This puts them above the spray, causing the "dry wipe" you suggested.
Lowering the wipers park position would help this a bit from the stock height, however, mine are already lowered.

When the wipers come to the return stroke, the windshield is wet, and wipers move it away. The wipe continues for 3 more cycles and stops.

Man, I can't think of anything worse than a dry wipe, and the problems it creates-:D
I'm glad you mentioned this. I had "noticed" it but not given much thought to it causing a cloudy windshield. This is a safety concern, as I see it. Hmmm---

I wonder if there is a way to "aim" the washers higher to get them above the wipers on the initial spray.

Yes, I blame Oklahoma and their red dirt! The dust is red after all. ;) It only takes 5 minutes on a windy day... and when's the last time you saw a windy day in Kansas? :rolleyes:

The haze at night is very annoying. That's why I want to replace the windshield.

I can move the wipers down one notch. I think I'll try that. I'll also look into delaying the wipers half a second with a 555 timer. That might be easier to wire in under the dash than running a new wire from under the dash to an unknown wire in a hard to reach spot under the air filter.

Or... easier than using a 555 time is creating a delay circuit like this:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...rs/2727-designing-your-own-delay-circuit.html

I can put it between the wiper motor's power source and the wiper motor.

Yes, I blame Oklahoma and their red dirt! The dust is red after all. ;) It only takes 5 minutes on a windy day... and when's the last time you saw a windy day in Kansas? :rolleyes:

The haze at night is very annoying. That's why I want to replace the windshield.

I can move the wipers down one notch. I think I'll try that. I'll also look into delaying the wipers half a second with a 555 timer. That might be easier to wire in under the dash than running a new wire from under the dash to an unknown wire in a hard to reach spot under the air filter.

Or... easier than using a 555 time is creating a delay circuit like this:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...rs/2727-designing-your-own-delay-circuit.html

I can put it between the wiper motor's power source and the wiper motor.

How about in line with the wiper relay signal? This way it could be near the relay box under the hood.

How about in line with the wiper relay signal? This way it could be near the relay box under the hood.

Yup, I was thinking that when I went to go look at the wires leading to the motor since the motor probably has power at all times. I was thinking about going into the wires near the motor though. I like the idea of keeping it near the other relays much better! Depending on how the wiper system works the delay timer might make it so the intermittent delay doesn't work. I'll do some testing and report back on my findings.

Depending on how the wiper system works the delay timer might make it so the intermittent delay doesn't work. I'll do some testing and report back on my findings.

That's what I was worried about with the ebay delay circuit I posted above.

From my quick look at a diagram, they doesn't explain "how" the delay/wiper switch actually works but it appears it does have multiple wires coming out of the switch

Does it send out a different signal for the wiper when you hit wash, or is it different when you hit intermittant etc.? If it sends different signals (power on different wires) you can put the delay there.

If this "black box" just outputs power to the wiper AND motor and does everything internal you would have to use a relay/cap (or something similar) so that when power was on the washer circuit it would stop the wiper for 1/2 second. The wiper would still move first but it would stop quickly and only dry wipe a very short section.

~Mark

First, let me say I am NOT very electrical savy on all these delay boxes and such. So there is a lot I do not know about that. I look for the simple things. Like I previously posted, wouldn't it be a lot easier/cheaper to just install a push button for the washer? Just curious.

Sure, that would be a lot easier, but where's the fun in that? :D

A switch that bypasses everything (and leave the factory wiring too) and just goes to the pump would make the pump run on its own..

You could then hit the switch to get the glass wet then hit the normal washer switch to run both the pump and wipers.

While that would be quicker/easier to setup (that includies reading wiring diagrams etc) it is less simple to use... Its now a 2 step process to clean the windhshield. If you can get the delay circuit (pre-built) in there then you just use everything like the factory intended...

~Mark

I got a delay circuit working and made a simple test harness that went between the aft wiper relay on the driver's side and the fuse box. It worked, but the delay was only about 1/5th of a second so it made little difference. I didn;t have large enough capacitors at home.

The delay I'll be adding does NOT interfere with the way the intermittent wipers work. I think I'll get one of those circuit boards off of ebay and put it in between the signal wire. It'll be much cleaner than the test harness I rigged up. I'll post my results and a short how to when I'm done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine will do almost the full wipe up before the washer fluid starts. It's annoying.

Back