Wine cheaper than gas!

Harry56

Reaction score
City, State
Scottish but live in France
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hi
I am in France and my 97 Explorer has just been to get its annual government health check. This is the first time I have taken it.
They put it on a rolling road to test the brakes and they had some difficulties but said it was Ok - ha, ha!!
I have an Auto, High 4x4 and Low 4X4 system and now when I put it into 4 wheel drive high or 4 wheel drive low, the front steering at low speeds on a tight corner is making some funny groaning noisies.
Has anyone got any idea what is happening??
Can you get transmission wind up with this system??

P.S Wine is about under $1 a litre and very good it is too - I may well have to hit the bottle

Many thanks

Ron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you using the 4x4 system on a dry paved road or offroad? If you are attempting to use the 4x4 system on a paved road the front end is binding. Those ranges of the transfer case are intended for dirt roads or snow covered roads.

Too bad the alcohol content of wine is so low, otherwise it might be cheaper to run the Explorer on cheap wine than on gasoline ;)

Yep, do not engage the 4x4 system on dry pavement. The front wheels need to be able to slip slightly, otherwise binding will occur.

Thanks for the help guys.
No I was not using it permanently on dry pavement but I did test it on the paved surface for 100yds - is this enough to cause this binding.
You're right, binding is the exact word I would use to describe what's happening.
We have snow forecast for tonight ( a rare thing in SW France!) perhaps I can test it better in the morning in the snow???
Do you think that the mechanics could actually have damaged something if they had fiddled with the 4x4 switch?? plus they are definitely not used to auto transmissions.

The truck has only done 32,000 miles since new and is a great vehicle.

Thanks
Ron

Yes, any driving on a hard pavement surface will cause binding when you try to turn even if it's only 100 yards. It doesn't sound like there is a problem unless this is happening in the Auto positon as well.

Thanks for the reassuring message.
We have 8 inches of snow here today in the sunny South of France!! Took the Explorer out to play and it gave a text book performance.
I have one other problem with the Ford- when braking at very, very low speeds ie 10mph, the ABS starts buzzing on the front brake and the pedal shudders - this on good paved roads - I presume this is not normal?? Any suggestions most welcome.

Rick - do you have any photos of the motor of the Dodge?? Is the Cummings diesel one that was built in Scotland? I have heard that they made a good job of building it??

Can I ask what the truck is like from a driving point of view - is the engine noisy or is it all calm inside the cab??
Thanks for your time
Ron

The vibration and noise is normal when the ABS activates.

Here is a page with a photo: http://www.sae.org/automag/globalvehicles/05-2002/

I don't think this model of the Cummins was built overseas.

The truck drives great. This latest generation of the Cummins diesel is very quiet and quite powerful. I have a performance "box" on mine which boost the horsepower to about 400 and the torque to more than 600 lb ft.

Back