Winter Camo Plasti Dip!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Camo Plasti Dip!!!

Hey guys after i do my lift and all I was planning on plasti dipping my truck white and then spraying gray and black plasti dip over it indifferent variations.
i.e. winter camo. I love the way that it looks, and i thought why not. Plasti dip comes off anyways.

Also... I am not feeling like buying from dipyourcar.com due to overpriced items....IMO. i was going to buy some rattlecans. But I am not sure what I should use to lay down the white base coat, and not really feeling likebuying a complicated sprayer. Thanks!!!

some examples. and yes.. ik that the plasti dip is matte.

snowcamo2.jpg

snowcamo1.jpg

Chris-Payne5.jpg

snowcamo4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone have any pointers or advice for me?

I have no idea and no experience with the stuff but I do want to subscribe and see how this turns out. Cool project.

Thanks! I am going to be buying the paint soon as I get my next paycheck. If its a good one :D I am probably getting the colors that are shown up above.

Thanks! I am going to be buying the paint soon as I get my next paycheck. If its a good one :D I am probably getting the colors that are shown up above.

I've got some pretty good experience with PlastiDip. Not sure about your area, but most hardware stores do not stock that grey color, and dipyourcar.com is pretty reasonable as far as price. I've ordered from them before and had no issues.

Doing it rattle can is going to be tedious. You'll have to spray the whole car first in your base color...probably white by the looks of the example. Since you're not using a gun, you run the risk of the whole car looking uneven, however in this case it may not matter since its camo and not a solid.

Temperature and sufficient can shaking is key with plastidip. If the can isn't shaken well and its cold, you will get a bumpy texture. I usually let my cans sit in hot water and shake them for about 1-2 minutes prior to spraying.
Once the base is down, let that dry for atleast 2 days. You will have to mask off in order to spray your camo black and gray spots, and you do not want to be sticking tape on plastidip that isnt fully cured, it will rip right off.

Generally, plastidip dries extremely fast. 10-15 minutes is good enough time between coats. It's dry to the touch in about 30 minutes.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

i actually think i am going with the http://dipyourcar.com stuff. Well at least for the white plasti dip. As for the black, i can go to home depot and get it for $5 a can. And a local hardware store and get the gray's for like 10, without having to wait for shipping.

I didnt do much prep when i recently redid my grill, and bumpers. The front bumpers and grill came out awesome. BUT my rear bumper just peeled right off today. ik exactly why. On a second gen bumper if you look at it there is like a millimeter raised area for the next part of the bumper. That prob bubbled and let water in, therefore making the plasti dip peel off. (So i think)

so have you had any progress on this? when i buy a sport sometimes this/next year i might be doing something similar with my current truck. i was thinking just flat white, grey, and black rattle can enamel paint?

so have you had any progress on this? when i buy a sport sometimes this/next year i might be doing something similar with my current truck. i was thinking just flat white, grey, and black rattle can enamel paint?

Just looked at his registry and as of 2-14-14 the truck is still green.

i am going to be painting it tan over the summer, i will update this thread and my registry with pics!

Back