Winter package promo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter package promo

TheMask

Reaction score
I have been following this forum for almost a week and some other forums, and let me say, this is by far the best forum for Ford Explorer, you guyss are doing great job.

Now in Canada we are having a winter package promo, and I forgot to ask the dealer for more details about the promo. So my question is are the winter rims/tires gonna be the same size or identical to the one im getting with the new Explorer (20") rims? Or different size and wheels

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good question. They put the value at $1,800 so I presume they are the same size (accounting for the higher cost?).

I'm hoping for December delivery, just in time to take advantage of this promo, Costco, low interest, and that employee pricing from when I ordered ;)

Ohh - as a Canadian, it is your duty to vote .... (Americans - we'd like your votes too!)

http://www.thefordstory.com/your-ideas/technologies/infotainment/sync-services-in-canada/

Thank you :)

Good question. They put the value at $1,800 so I presume they are the same size (accounting for the higher cost?).

I'm hoping for December delivery, just in time to take advantage of this promo, Costco, low interest, and that employee pricing from when I ordered ;)

Ohh - as a Canadian, it is your duty to vote .... (Americans - we'd like your votes too!)

http://www.thefordstory.com/your-ideas/technologies/infotainment/sync-services-in-canada/

I have the Limited with the OEM 20" wheels. I doubt the $1800 would cover 20" wheels, TPMS sensors and Winter tires.

My cost for the base model 17" steel wheels, 245/65R17 BF goodrich Winter Slalom KSI tires, TPMS sensors and the base model wheel covers came to just about $1560. With the environmental fee ($3), Ontario stewardship fee ($23.36) and taxes it came to $1762. I also receive a mail in coupon for a $50 rebate from BFG.
NOTE: This purchase was not part of the Winter Tire promo since I got my Explorer last March.

The tires were $169.45 ea. Looking at Winter tires in the 20" size on 1010tire.com, there are only 2 listed. The cheapest is the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow at $345.99 and the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 is $399.99
The 17" should also provide better performance in snow.

I have been following this forum for almost a week and some other forums, and let me say, this is by far the best forum for Ford Explorer, you guyss are doing great job.

Now in Canada we are having a winter package promo, and I forgot to ask the dealer for more details about the promo. So my question is are the winter rims/tires gonna be the same size or identical to the one im getting with the new Explorer (20") rims? Or different size and wheels
Welcome to the Forum TheMask. :wavey:
See my response above to calb. It is hard to say without knowing exactly what the promo fine print states. I am quite sure that Ford will insist that you use only 20" replacement tires. It is mentioned in the manual to use the same size replacement tire. I am sure that this is mostly for 'legal stuff' purposes.
I made a specific request for the 17" wheels/tires so that may let Ford off the hook for any subsequent consequences.
I downsized from 19" to 17" on my previous '09 Highlander as well without any problems.

Peter

I have the Limited with the OEM 20" wheels. I doubt the $1800 would cover 20" wheels, TPMS sensors and Winter tires.

My cost for the base model 17" steel wheels, 245/65R17 BF goodrich Winter Slalom KSI tires, TPMS sensors and the base model wheel covers came to just about $1560. With the environmental fee ($3), Ontario stewardship fee ($23.36) and taxes it came to $1762. I also receive a mail in coupon for a $50 rebate from BFG.
NOTE: This purchase was not part of the Winter Tire promo since I got my Explorer last March.

The tires were $169.45 ea. Looking at Winter tires in the 20" size on 1010tire.com, there are only 2 listed. The cheapest is the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow at $345.99 and the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 is $399.99

Both of you guys thanks a lot for the replies, really appreciate them :)

its unlikely as you said, we will get another new set of rims 20" with tires, however if this is indeed the case, I might just ask them to drop the rims, and get me a set of winter tires for the OEM wheels :)

Im gonna try to pay them a visit today and see what they will say about it, will update here as soon as I know :D

Hmm .... I was thinking I could get Winter wheels and tires for a grand ... so figured (hoped?) the other $800 was for the 20" size.

Hmm .... I was thinking I could get Winter wheels and tires for a grand ... so figured (hoped?) the other $800 was for the 20" size.
Well you can take $390 off my $1560 total if you don't use the TPMS sensors or wheel covers. Not sure if you can do much better on the tires. CTC lists the same ones I bought at $206.99 ea.

Deal comes with 4 steel wheels with TPMS. Pretty sure they will not be giving out 20" steel rims but I could be wrong.

My explorer is coming off the line today and I hope to get in on these but the promotion is only good until the end of the month.

My explorer is coming off the line today and I hope to get in on these but the promotion is only good until the end of the month.

Are you sure about the "end of the month"? Car Cost Canada showed it till December 15th when I was snooping around - but won't be the first time they had the wrong info.

Are you sure about the "end of the month"? Car Cost Canada showed it till December 15th when I was snooping around - but won't be the first time they had the wrong info.
I checked out Ford.ca and the promotion fine print doesn't actually state when it ends. It does say that it is valid for the Explorer if purchased or leased on or before November 30th.

That's what the dealer said but dealers have been wrong before ;)

I spoke with the sales man today, he told me the tires and rims are gonna be in different size, he didn't state what size they are gonna be because he wasn't sure, however he is positive that we can just take 20" winter tires for the OEM wheels and not take the winter wheels that they are offering, but he still gonna have to check with his boss and confirm it with me tonight.

Its a bit confusing however hopefully tonight we close the deal and finish all the papers, then the car would be here in 3-4 days.

I spoke with the sales man today, he told me the tires and rims are gonna be in different size, he didn't state what size they are gonna be because he wasn't sure, however he is positive that we can just take 20" winter tires for the OEM wheels and not take the winter wheels that they are offering, but he still gonna have to check with his boss and confirm it with me tonight.

Its a bit confusing however hopefully tonight we close the deal and finish all the papers, then the car would be here in 3-4 days.
Unless you are saving quite a bit of $$ by taking just the 20" Winter tires, I personally would go for the Winter tire package. Saves wear and tear on the rims and tires, twice yearly balancing, saves risk of damage to TPMS sensors and you won't have to worry about salt damage to your OEM wheels. My dealer will store my wheels/tires for $30/year. I guess the only thing I'll be paying for is programming the TPMS sensors into the vehicle's ECM although this was never brought up so far.
No charge to install wheels/tires in the vehicle this trip because I'm getting an oil change done which includes a free tire rotation. I was told that they will use that to remove and install the wheels/tires. It looks like with the promo, you would still have to buy the wheel covers, if you want them.

I just bought a set of 17" Edge wheels, TPMS from Tire Rack and Bridgestone Blizzaks for $1100.

Unless you are saving quite a bit of $$ by taking just the 20" Winter tires, I personally would go for the Winter tire package. Saves wear and tear on the rims and tires, twice yearly balancing, saves risk of damage to TPMS sensors and you won't have to worry about salt damage to your OEM wheels. My dealer will store my wheels/tires for $30/year. I guess the only thing I'll be paying for is programming the TPMS sensors into the vehicle's ECM although this was never brought up so far.
No charge to install wheels/tires in the vehicle this trip because I'm getting an oil change done which includes a free tire rotation. I was told that they will use that to remove and install the wheels/tires. It looks like with the promo, you would still have to buy the wheel covers, if you want them.

Actually the wheel cover is included, The deal includes as I was told are the winter tires/rims/wheel cover (not 20") and all season floor mats.

The sales man confirmed that i can get 20" tires instead of tires and rims, The car is gonna is garaged in in-door parking at home and office, plus its most likely im gonna be driving the other car most of the time.

Really appreciate your inputs :)

Actually the wheel cover is included, The deal includes as I was told are the winter tires/rims/wheel cover (not 20") and all season floor mats.

The sales man confirmed that i can get 20" tires instead of tires and rims, The car is gonna is garaged in in-door parking at home and office, plus its most likely im gonna be driving the other car most of the time.

Really appreciate your inputs :)
I just had the 17" steel wheels/tires installed for Winter. I also ordered the base model wheel covers. Guess what? The lug nuts from the 20" wheels will not hold the covers in place.:( The nuts require a washer type flange in order to hold the wheel cover on. The lug nuts for the 20" and I assume 18" OEM wheels will not work in this case. They will work fine to hold the wheel itself. The proper nuts are $14.28 each X 20. The parts manager offered to reimburse me for the covers or take the tax off the cost of the lugnuts ($37). I decided to go ahead with the covers. The other thing is that the lug nuts have to be ordered from Edmonton. None in Toronto.
Guess I'll be going back for another free coffee at the dealership in a week or so.:p:

Back