• Register Today It's free!

Winter Project: 347 Build

rs2k

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
I think building a 347 stoker is going to make a great winter project.

Plan:
Take a Ford Explorer 302
Put a 347 stroker kit in it.
Install it.
Tune it.
Possibly add a remote turbo later.

I'll be keeping my AWD. I want all four tires to have the ability to break loose on dry pavement. :D

I've never built a car engine before from the ground up, but I have built other engines and I know how to do it. What I don't know how to do is select the right parts to build the engine. I'm hoping I can get some help with that.

I want an engine with torque. I don't like revving an engine past 5K. I do some towing but even when I don't have a trailer attached I prefer power in the low and mid range. What kind of camshaft and comp ratio / pistons type should I be looking for? Are the stock 302 heads OK? Assuming I might due a turbo with less than 8 PSI boost, how is that going to change my build?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why's that? I was thinking the stock block was good to 500 HP. What block would I want to replace it with?

My goal is at LEAST 350 HP with at least that much torque. 450 is a much nicer number though. :D

I don't want a whole lot of boost on the turbo. The sound it makes is what I'm looking for. V8 Rumble + Turbo whine = Heaven.

Another option is to go with a 351... Maybe even stroke that. From what I understand the 351 has the same bolt pattern but has a taller deck. It uses different heads and intakes. It will require modifying the top of the firewall and possibly the hood.

Thanks! :D

I'm leaning towards the 347 stroker. I just happen to know where another 302 is laying around waiting for a truck. ;)

I need to figure out what to do for pistons, cam, and heads. I want to run on pump gas. Preferably 87, but I think 91 is going to give me the best bang for my buck.

keep compression under 10.2 :1 for 91 octane.
Lobe separation angle will be the key cam number for you. Lift high (500+), duration short (<220) for good vacuum--low RPM torque. Since you will be keeping revs low, and under 500 hp, the explorer block will be fine. I think you will want an intake lobe which opens a tad later, but ramps very fast. Slightly higher duration to the exhaust valve.

I was actually disappointed when I uncrated my brand new Ford Racing Sportsman block.
It had identical casting numbers, I could not find one thing different between it, and my stock explorer block.
Just a FYI

I know this has caused a debate before, but I stand to my word on this. :D

Thanks!

If I keep get the compression to 10.2:1 and add 6 lbs of boost, will 91 octane detonate? I'm guessing it would.

What would the RPM range be like with the cam you described?

Thanks!

If I keep get the compression to 10.2:1 and add 6 lbs of boost, will 91 octane detonate? I'm guessing it would.

What would the RPM range be like with the cam you described?

with boost, 9.5:1

Higher octane fuel will be hard to find on the road when you need it.

As far as cam choices, you should contact a cam vendor, and tell them your goals. IMO you will want good throttle response and power below 5700 RPM's. Keep the revs low, so you can save money on expensive valvetrain upgrades.

The Windsor will work you just gotta be creative with some factory parts, look at first Gen lightning mix in some stock ex, all the front stuff off the 5.0 with a little Modding and a little cut and reweld on a set of TM headers throw in a tune, what's the problem? Lmao, I agree a stock block will handle the 347 job BUT from what I have seen ( guys at the shop) when you add boost they dont last long

Hmmm always wanted a 427 and the Windsor 427 makes lots of power, sure its not a real FE but it would be cool ! And probably be the most powerful option if you really wanna go all out.

I think I'll avoid the 351 swap. I don't want my DD down for too long. I think I'm going to aim for 9.5:1 to keep my options open. I'm guessing that can do 87 octane without boost and 91 octane with boost.

Power below 5700 RPM is good.

Are heads going to be in the budget? A set of AFR's or Twisted wedge? They sure do seem to make a difference from what Ive been reading. That, and you shed some weight as they are aluminum.

Im not sure what would be required on the push rod length though. Also, Im unsure if the exhaust ports are still at the same height. Some of this stuff just isn't completely clear to me from what I can find on the net.

I'm kinda reading up to see what I can learn about what fits what on the explorer 302 also. As me motor has some miles on it, and experience on what happened to my 4.0 ohv under boost tells me I might be looking at a new motor down the road. Could just spend $10,000 on a ford strokers motor. I'll just keep dreaming about that.

351 will require a custom made oil pan, a custom made cam sensor , custom made headers, along with a butchered HVAC box. Idunno--

Its alot of little thing but I think it would be worth it, oil pan is easy cam sensor might be tricky, headers well its just a matter of cutting up a set of tms ( ouch) but think about the power, the last 427 Windsor we messed with was in a cobra clone and the guy had it dynoed with dual 4s and it was well north of 400hp I wanna say he was around 470 and the torque was over 500 :eek: :D ;) , sorry for the high Jack ,come on Jon you know you wanna try it :D

Oh by the way my friend is doing something like this in a first Gen ranger that has already been lifted with early bronco axles and powered by a 302, I'll try to post it when he starts back on it this winter

Look for a thread by a member here by the screen name of tmsoko

Then decide if a 351 sap is for you-- he has a lot of information posted.

If aftermarket heads are used, you will need custom torquemonster headers, as the exhaust port are not the same as gt40-p. Been there, had to send mine back for modifications back in the day using edelbrock heads.

What are aftermarket heads going to do for me performance wise?

So far after market heads seem like a lot of trouble. I need to know if they are worth it. :)

I'll have to do some research on the heads.

I'm planning on skipping headers and going for a turbo instead. I read headers make little to no difference when you add a turbo and anything header related seems to be a huge PITA with the 5.0's in these trucks.

9.5:1 comp ratio is my plan. Need to figure out how to get that ratio now. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Correct me if I am wrong, But I was under the assumption that most 302 blocks "split" when they are launched hard, at high RPM's due to the block flexing. Using a supercharger would stress the front bearings even more. I bet a small turbo on an explorer block would be safe, for a driver. Now, go laying down some time slips and you might want to reconsider things.

Back