Winter Rims / Wheels | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Rims / Wheels

At my local Ford dealer, Sterling Ford Ottawa.

Brian
Thank you! Here in Toronto they want $94 + tax. Need to visit your dealer when next time in Ottawa. Hope that happens before next winter. lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, this is weird.

Peter

Eastgate for is a great dealership in Hamilton Ontario. Actually bought my 2012 limited there then traded that in a few weeks ago for my 2020 ST with street pack..... Having the same issues as everyone else now though... Getting things ready for winter ...... Had a set of Interceptor 18"s with some 245 60 18 Nokian hakk 9 SUV tires from my 2012 I was hoping to use ( only had one season on them). Go in for a test fit and the center bore on the rims was too small for the ST..... Then also was told the tires were probably too small aswell...... So now looking at the new Interceptor rims from Eastgate ford/ new TPMS sensors and trying to figure out the best 18" tire size for the ST......

Any idea if running those 245 60 18s would work? Just scared of screwing something up with all the driver assistance stuff on the ST

Any idea if running those 245 60 18s would work? Just scared of screwing something up with all the driver assistance stuff on the ST

255/65/18 is a good size. 245/60/18 is too small a diameter. The police interceptor rims for 2020 will work.

Eastgate for is a great dealership in Hamilton Ontario. Actually bought my 2012 limited there then traded that in a few weeks ago for my 2020 ST with street pack..... Having the same issues as everyone else now though... Getting things ready for winter ...... Had a set of Interceptor 18"s with some 245 60 18 Nokian hakk 9 SUV tires from my 2012 I was hoping to use ( only had one season on them). Go in for a test fit and the center bore on the rims was too small for the ST..... Then also was told the tires were probably too small aswell...... So now looking at the new Interceptor rims from Eastgate ford/ new TPMS sensors and trying to figure out the best 18" tire size for the ST......

I had much the same issue. I had 18" steel Interceptor wheels that I had used on my 2014 MKT and 2017 Platinum but they changed the centre bore on the 2020 models so I couldn't use them on my Aviator. The dealer gave me $400 for the set and I eventually just ended up putting new Winter tires on the existing OEM wheels. First time I haven't had a dedicated set of wheels/tires. As the member above mentioned, the 2020 Interceptor wheels will fit. A member here in Ottawa put them on his Explorer.
The general rule of thumb is that you shouldn't exceed the maximum diameter variance of the OEM by more than 3%. Your 245/60R18 would be -4%/
The 255/65R18 comes in at 1% and a 245/65R18 would be -1%. Both would work. A narrower tire would be better in snow.
Here is a handy site you can use. There are several such sites. Tire size calculator: compare tires online

Peter

The general rule of thumb is that you shouldn't exceed the maximum diameter variance of the OEM by more than 3%. Your 245/60R18 would be -4%/
The 255/65R18 comes in at 1% and a 245/65R18 would be -1%. Both would work. A narrower tire would be better in snow.
Here is a handy site you can use. There are several such sites. Tire size calculator: compare tires online

Peter

245/65/18 would be better for snow, but good luck finding winter tires in that size. There's quite a few choices in 255/65/18.

245/65/18 would be better for snow, but good luck finding winter tires in that size. There's quite a few choices in 255/65/18.
Thanks. I never really checked the tire sites.

Alrighty it is getting close to winter and I finally need to look at ordering a set for the Ex. Are the PIU wheels any cheaper ? or are they still nearly 400 a piece?

Alrighty it is getting close to winter and I finally need to look at ordering a set for the Ex. Are the PIU wheels any cheaper ? or are they still nearly 400 a piece?
As I mentioned in my reply to your other post, it might be worth a road trip north.

Peter

uh, the border is closed to non-essential travel.

uh, the border is closed to non-essential travel.
Sorry, forgot about that. :( I wonder if that also applies to transport/delivery services?

Peter

There are no restrictions on commercial transport at the US-CA border. Essential workers that reside in one country and work in the other may pass. Americans traveling between Alaska and the continental U.S. can pass but may only stop for fuel, takeout, etc. and must stay on the normal transit route.

well I said screw it and ordered from my local race shop the cheapest rim they had that looked okay.

What is the smallest rim that will fit my 2020 ST for snow tires? I have the biggest brake package. I also wouldn't mind an actual all terrain tire.

What is the smallest rim that will fit my 2020 ST for snow tires? I have the biggest brake package. I also wouldn't mind an actual all terrain tire.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one.
Several are using the 18" steel 2020 Interceptor wheels. The 5th gen Interceptor wheels won't fit.
Here is a thread from the 5th gen Forum; All Terrain / Off Road Tires

Peter

Has anyone who purchased the 2020/21 PIU OEM Steel Wheels used their previous generation TPMS valves and did they program up correctly to the 2020 Explorer without DTC?

All North America runs the TPMS at 315mHz now, Export is 433mHz.......just wondering if they actually work or if I should sell with my older PIU rims as a package.

Thinking of spending some significant winter time out in some snowy areas to change the work from home scenery a bit.

My ST has the 21" wheels all season tires from the street pack.

I've heard various recommendations and it seems my options are limited to a few different 21" winter tires or I can get a set of 18" Winter wheels with tires. Long run the prices are a bit of wash but I'm comfortable installing wheels with mounted tires and not comfortable or capable on Tires alone.

Can I safely go down to 18" wheels and tires? Provided they come with TPMS sensors are there are any gotchas to swapping them out? A friend not familiar with fords mentioned the calipers may not work with 18" wheels.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread has been merged with this one. It seems that the 18" PIU wheels will fit the ST with the 21" wheels.
A 265/60R18 tire or a 245/65R18 will be a -1% diameter variance.

Peter

Back