Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 32 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

Hi Peter. Where do you recommend buying those rims?
I bought mine from my Ford dealership. They were $88 each at the time which was just over 3 years ago. It seems that prices for rims are almost 3 times more in the U.S.
You can try eBay or Amazon as well.

Peter

2017 Platinum.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So has anyone that picked up a new Explorer this year started shopping for winter wheels yet?

Just made a deal on a Shadow Black 2018 Sport yesterday and with some weird snow/ rain mix last night am reminded that the season is coming.

In the past I have found really good prices from PMC Tire out of Quebec and am leaning towards these wheels: Touren - TR60 - Black Red

Now just need to decide on rubber. Michelin have been great for me in the past but haven’t had the Lattitudes, just XIce3 on cars.

Blizzac DMV2 seem like a popular choice.

Thoughts?

So has anyone that picked up a new Explorer this year started shopping for winter wheels yet?

Just made a deal on a Shadow Black 2018 Sport yesterday and with some weird snow/ rain mix last night am reminded that the season is coming.

In the past I have found really good prices from PMC Tire out of Quebec and am leaning towards these wheels: Touren - TR60 - Black Red

Now just need to decide on rubber. Michelin have been great for me in the past but haven’t had the Lattitudes, just XIce3 on cars.

Blizzac DMV2 seem like a popular choice.

Thoughts?

Costco package with Blizzaks was the best deal when I went shopping

Costco package with Blizzaks was the best deal when I went shopping

Thank you. Are you running 245/60/18's? They don't seem to have a 235/65/18 shown on their website. How do you like them? They are the best priced right now for sure.

Thank you. Are you running 245/60/18's? They don't seem to have a 235/65/18 shown on their website. How do you like them? They are the best priced right now for sure.

They are stored at the dealership for free so honestly can't remember, I think they are 245/60/18

As Peter mentioned previously I don't think there is a better winter rim choice than the Police wheels for $80/each (depending on where you buy) Easy to clean salt, snow, mud off them and they are designed for the Explorer brake system to provide proper ventilation.

They are stored at the dealership for free so honestly can't remember, I think they are 245/60/18

As Peter mentioned previously I don't think there is a better winter rim choice than the Police wheels for $80/each (depending on where you buy) Easy to clean salt, snow, mud off them and they are designed for the Explorer brake system to provide proper ventilation.

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully @peterk9 's dealer wasn't too badly affected by the tornadoes Friday and he can get some updated pricing. I am not a fan of paying $100 more per corner for PIU wheels over a nice looking aftermarket alloy. I will search for all the related part numbers again and try calling the Parts department directly, I wonder if the pricing is any different than what the "Accessories Guy" showed me in the book on Saturday.

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully @peterk9 's dealer wasn't too badly affected by the tornadoes Friday and he can get some updated pricing. I am not a fan of paying $100 more per corner for PIU wheels over a nice looking aftermarket alloy. I will search for all the related part numbers again and try calling the Parts department directly, I wonder if the pricing is any different than what the "Accessories Guy" showed me in the book on Saturday.
No tornados in my area. Just a lot of wind. They were just North-West and North of where I am. Over 51 homes destroyed.
The prices I was quoted this morning were $167 for the Interceptor wheel, $62 for each center cap and $7.50 for each lug nut. When I asked if those were firm prices, he mentioned that he could move on them some. I didn't pursue it any further. When I bought the wheels in 2014, I paid $88 each but they listed at $102.95.

Peter

No tornados in my area. Just a lot of wind. They were just North-West and North of where I am. Over 51 homes destroyed.
The prices I was quoted this morning were $167 for the Interceptor wheel, $62 for each center cap and $7.50 for each lug nut. When I asked if those were firm prices, he mentioned that he could move on them some. I didn't pursue it any further. When I bought the wheels in 2014, I paid $88 each but they listed at $102.95.

Peter

Yikes, it seems like the prices have jumped quite a bit. I will likely order some after market alloys, my wife is already calling it the Po-Po Mobile adding Interceptor wheels won't help my case any.

In my mind looks way too good to be the Po-Po...

IMG_0413.jpg

Peter
I was wondering when the $88 price discussion was going to finally die. Those PIU steel wheels have been $150+ for at least 2 years now. The center caps should be ~$35. The full wheel covers are ~$60. The lug nuts should be ~$4.

If you don't need OEM PIU steel wheels, there are plenty of other options for less than $150/ea.

PI takeoff 18" rims are on ebay for $75/ea shipped for anyone looking.

ETA - I quoted prices in USD.

At the time that I got them for that price here, the costs reported by members in the U.S. was much higher. $270/wheel according to this member. Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations
A few members crossed the border to get them. There were others that quoted similar prices.

Peter

I'm not questioning/disputing the price you paid at the time, or what someone else says they were told the price was at that time. The data is 4 years old and is not relevant today. Hasn't been relevant for several years.

Hello all,

Just picked up a 2018 Explorer sport and looking to get some 235/65/18's for winter tires. What rim width should i be looking at? Everywhere i see online gives a range from 6.5"-8". should it be 7"?

Hello all,

Just picked up a 2018 Explorer sport and looking to get some 235/65/18's for winter tires. What rim width should i be looking at? Everywhere i see online gives a range from 6.5"-8". should it be 7"?

6.5" seems a bit narrow to me, as does 7", but the rim width range for several 235/60r18 BFG tires is indicated as 6.5-8.5". As a general rule of thumb, I try to stay at or near the wider end of the rim width range for a given tire size. I personally would probably go with an 8" rim width.

Anyway, whatever tire you decide on, check with the manufacturer for their min/max rim width range for that tire.

Hello all,

Just picked up a 2018 Explorer sport and looking to get some 235/65/18's for winter tires. What rim width should i be looking at? Everywhere I see online gives a range from 6.5"-8". should it be 7"?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I have the 18" black Ford Interceptor wheels for Winter duty. I have not been able to find the specifics on it but perhaps your dealer could help with that. This is one of the less expensive sites I've found for them. They are based in Hamilton but perhaps your dealer would price match.Wheel, Steel - Ford (DG1Z-1015-A) | Eastgate Ford Parts CA

Peter

Police interceptor wheels are 18x8

I have the 18" black Ford Interceptor wheels for Winter duty. I have not been able to find the specifics on it but perhaps your dealer could help with that. This is one of the less expensive sites I've found for them. They are based in Hamilton but perhaps your dealer would price match.Wheel, Steel - Ford (DG1Z-1015-A) | Eastgate Ford Parts CA

Peter

That's the best price I have seen in US or Canada

Peter
At $108 USD per wheel, that's certainly the best retail price in a while.

It looks like there is another option that may have a similar price in the US - DG1Z-1015-ACP (part of the Crash Parts pricing program - part is the same as the regular part - YMMV as the cost is less to the dealer than the regular part, but not all dealers will pass along the savings to the customer - not sure if all dealers participate in this program or not either, so you will need to do your due diligence)
says in stock here for $108 USD in OK - Wheel Assembly - Ford (DG1Z-1015-ACP) | Group 1 Auto Parts
Also here for $109 USD in MI - Ford Wheel Assembly DG1Z-1015-ACP | Pfeiffer Wholesale Parts
Not sure why, but this CP alternative seems to be more expensive in Canada - Wheel Assembly - Ford (DG1Z-1015-ACP) | Eastgate Ford Parts CA

Finally got to bring my 2018 Sport home today, shopping for a winter set up now kicks in to high gear.

Settles on the DM-V2’s from Costco, now need wheels and sensors. Are these the correct TPMS?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally got to bring my 2018 Sport home today, shopping for a winter set up now kicks in to high gear.

Settles on the DM-V2’s from Costco, now need wheels and sensors. Are these the correct TPMS?

Just be careful you get the right frequency because Ford has changed the frequency a couple times recently. That frequency allows the wheel sensor and the TPMS module to communicate. I had the wrong ones in my snow tire setup because I didn't know the frequency had changed between the model year 2014 and 2017

Back