• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Winter tire shopping in Canada suck....

xyf80

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Not sure if you guys are starting winter tire shopping or not, I just did a few search on winter tire for Canada, it is really suck here....

Tried tirerack, a set of Blizzak DM-V1 Tires 245/60R18 plus rim plus TPMS is 2000+ dollars, the tire alone is only marked 660 dollar, however plus shipping and handling etc it is getting crazy...

And I also looked tirebuyer in states, the tire is 157 each and the shipping is free!!!

Can anyone in Canada have past experience give me some advice on cost saving? Appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Halwg

Reaction score
City, State
WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Base 2.3L E
Too early where I live to start winter tire shopping, I won't do that for another month.

xxboarderxx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ex
Not sure if you guys are starting winter tire shopping or not, I just did a few search on winter tire for Canada, it is really suck here....

Tried tirerack, a set of Blizzak DM-V1 Tires 245/60R18 plus rim plus TPMS is 2000+ dollars, the tire alone is only marked 660 dollar, however plus shipping and handling etc it is getting crazy...

And I also looked tirebuyer in states, the tire is 157 each and the shipping is free!!!

Can anyone in Canada have past experience give me some advice on cost saving? Appreciated
I always go to the US to get my tires but this is because I am close to the border. In Canada you can expect to spend about $1200+taxes just for the set of rubbers. If you buy in the US, you can save up to 40% off depending on the brand and model of the tire.

What I did was go and buy 4 steel rims from Ford. It was about $500 taxes in. Then I went and shopped on tirerack.com to buy the tires and TPMS. I then had it shipped to the nearest garage across the border and went there to get them mounted, balanced and installed.

In total, I spent about $1500 with a 45 minute drive to the border and back. If you have the option to buy in the US, this is your best bet.

amd2800barton

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
xyf80: I found that there was a better selection available, and at a better price point by just slightly changing the stock tire size. Though I can't speak to what canadian pricing will look like, you might try adjusting the tire size to find a better deal. This site will tell you what acceptable tires will go on your rims, and this site will help you compare your stock tire size to a new tire size. Try to keep the old tire size within about 3% of the new size if you can, but I've seen plenty of places say to keep the size within 5 or even 7%. Also it is better to go with a thinner, taller tire for winter driving. While you are decreasing the size of your contact patch, you also cut through will cut through snow; on dry surfaces or on ice the pressure on that smaller patch of rubber will increase friction.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

What are you paying for wheels? Are they the steel Ford ones? When I put Winter wheels on my 2011 Limited, I went with 17". The entire package, wheels, tires, TPMS and wheel covers cost me $1556 before tax. Everything bought from my Ford dealership.
My current OEM size is 245/50R20 and I'm going with the Ford steel 18" wheels and likely the Blizzak DM-V1 tires. The dealer quoted me, I believe, $100 for each wheel and the tires will be $878.96. If bought after Oct. 15 you will received a $70 VISA prepaid card. Ford's slogan is that they won't be undersold on tires. Costco not included. It looks like my cost including TPMS will come in at around $1500 to $1600 + tax.

Peter

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Too early where I live to start winter tire shopping, I won't do that for another month.
I guess it all depends on where you live. I usually have the Winters put on around the end of October since we don't usually get any real Winter weather until November. Some members may not be as fortunate and will want them installed much earlier. And for our 'Southern' members they are likely sitting back enjoying all this wondering what a 'Winter Tire' is. ;)

Peter

xyf80

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
I always go to the US to get my tires but this is because I am close to the border. In Canada you can expect to spend about $1200+taxes just for the set of rubbers. If you buy in the US, you can save up to 40% off depending on the brand and model of the tire.

What I did was go and buy 4 steel rims from Ford. It was about $500 taxes in. Then I went and shopped on tirerack.com to buy the tires and TPMS. I then had it shipped to the nearest garage across the border and went there to get them mounted, balanced and installed.

In total, I spent about $1500 with a 45 minute drive to the border and back. If you have the option to buy in the US, this is your best bet.

I was thinking about the same thing, however for me to drive to the border city and drive back requires 5 hour :( Very good advice for cost saving, thanks!

xyf80

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
What are you paying for wheels? Are they the steel Ford ones? When I put Winter wheels on my 2011 Limited, I went with 17". The entire package, wheels, tires, TPMS and wheel covers cost me $1556 before tax. Everything bought from my Ford dealership.
My current OEM size is 245/50R20 and I'm going with the Ford steel 18" wheels and likely the Blizzak DM-V1 tires. The dealer quoted me, I believe, $100 for each wheel and the tires will be $878.96. If bought after Oct. 15 you will received a $70 VISA prepaid card. Ford's slogan is that they won't be undersold on tires. Costco not included. It looks like my cost including TPMS will come in at around $1500 to $1600 + tax.

Peter
Wow, for tires of 4 878.96 is better price than tire rack to my postal code. Thanks for your tip, I will contact my local dealer for a quote on winter tire

xyf80

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport

Another question for you is when you go off the border down to states, do you have to stay there longer than 48 hours in order to get the 800 dollar allowance? Or you wait till the tire is wear out and dump the old one get those brand new ones.

broken strut

Reaction score
City, State
CHIMOMAN VILLE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 White Sport
I wait until it's time to change the rubber on mine. It's only an hour drive for me. Get tires for half the price.

xyf80

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
I wait until it's time to change the rubber on mine. It's only an hour drive for me. Get tires for half the price.
Can you drive there with those and drive back with additional without paying all duty, fees etc? According to strict requirement, you can not just buy stuff without pay all the others without 24 hour

HughCares

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited

I bought the exact same tire (only 17" size" and 17" alloy rims for my Ex at Tire Rack and saved over $600.00 CDN versus what I could buy them in Canada for and that included $300.00 in shipping. So I'm not sure why you are having a hard time. Mind you I purchased mine in 2012, so I haven't looked at any tire pricing lately....

xyf80

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
I bought the exact same tire (only 17" size" and 17" alloy rims for my Ex at Tire Rack and saved over $600.00 CDN versus what I could buy them in Canada for and that included $300.00 in shipping. So I'm not sure why you are having a hard time. Mind you I purchased mine in 2012, so I haven't looked at any tire pricing lately....
The tire I am looking is 245/60/18 and a set of they tirerack is quote 664 and shipping is 353. With the 18' rim and TPMS it come to 2019 dollar shipped. If I am living in 260 KM south, the price is only 1500 dollar shipped. Mind you the rim I am looking at could be a factor as it is now there is no black steel rim, so I have to pick 137*4 dollar rim.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Not sure if you're saying that there isn't an 18" steel rim or not. The last part of your post is a bit confusing. There is an 18" steel black rim you can use. In fact it would likely be the same one I'm replacing the 20" OEM ones with on my MKT. I believe the dealer quoted $100 each.

Peter

xyf80

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Not sure if you're saying that there isn't an 18" steel rim or not. The last part of your post is a bit confusing. There is an 18" steel black rim you can use. In fact it would likely be the same one I'm replacing the 20" OEM ones with on my MKT. I believe the dealer quoted $100 each.

Peter
I am saying there isn't any 18'' steel rim you can buy from tirerack for now. Agree I might buy the 18'' steel rim in the dealer.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I found that there are quite a few sites that don't offer the steel black rim. I know when I was buying the 17" ones for my previous Limited and quoted $99 each from the dealer, a member from the Florida area said that down there the price was around $300 - $400 each.

Peter

182RG

Reaction score
City, State
Winchester, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT / '13 Touareg TDI
There's a tire retailer in Buffalo that will sell you winter tires, and store your summer tires for you. Or, take 4 people across the border, and have each claim exemption of 1 tire (isn't there a $400 exemption per person on HST?) No way would I pay Canadian prices if I was within an hour or two from the border.

amd2800barton

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Do they honestly even check to see where you purchased your tires? I mean unless you go thru a tiny border crossing and get the same guard entering and leaving, the odds of border protection / customs noticing your tires changed stateside are incredibly unlikely.

Now I'm not saying if you live close to the border you should just drive across, buy new tires, return and never tell the government... but it seems like that would be an easy and victimless thing to do. You'll certainly get no negative judgement from me if you were to do that.

xyf80

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Do they honestly even check to see where you purchased your tires? I mean unless you go thru a tiny border crossing and get the same guard entering and leaving, the odds of border protection / customs noticing your tires changed stateside are incredibly unlikely.

Now I'm not saying if you live close to the border you should just drive across, buy new tires, return and never tell the government... but it seems like that would be an easy and victimless thing to do. You'll certainly get no negative judgement from me if you were to do that.

I am not having negative judgement on you we all paid enough duty etc to government:) The point is when you cross boarder they will look your car and ask what are you doing over there, and they might take a look at your trunk, as thing could happen as you re enter the boarder then it would be hard to explain what are you doing over there after all. This could be minor though as I would think they probably wont do that very often unless you are very very suspicious

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

mrbrett

Reaction score
City, State
Milton, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer Sport Trac
Try Discount Tire as well, I have ordered from there and Tire Rack and the prices are usually pretty competitive between the two, with one typically being a bit less expensive for the same package.

And to save the whole do-I/don't-I declare the purchase at the border, Discount incorporates border fees into their price and can ship direct and save you the hassle.

Although, for $300 in shipping and duty costs (think what you would pay at the border anyway if you're being honest) simply driving there might be worth the trip.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S What tire/wheel size are you running for winter tires? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
P Winter tire size options for 2015 Explorer? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
1 Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 651
B Winter Tires Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 17
E My winter tires are on Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
R New Winter Tires Diameter Change Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 38
F So Done with this Winter!! Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 18
C Show off your winter explorations Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 21
B How's the Sport in winter weather? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 17
A Fwd Ecoboost winter driving question. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
T 2012 xlt and snow Chains vs winter tires Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 20
R Winter complaints Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 48
T Winter package promo Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 15
B Fwd explorer in winter Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 26
S Tire Size - options Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
N Help with Tire Size for Explorer Sport 2014 Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
R TPMS/Low Tire Pressure Warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
M Sport wheels and tires with Ford tire sensors Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
S 2011 XLT Tire/Rim “Upgrade” Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
N Tire circumference difference Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
P Tallest Tire that will fit a 20" tire Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
J 2017 explorer sport tire size Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 14
C Notes on tire sizes Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
E Front Rear Tire Wear Question Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
B 3rd row seat motors burned out and can't access spare tire Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
K Tire Question Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
A Tyre / Tire Pressure Monitor Malfunction Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 28
M Spare Tire? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 13
Z What tire pressure are you running? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 41
S Full size spare tire storage Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 17
S All Terrian tire noise or bearing? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
A Tire size for 2014 Ford Explorer sport Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
B mismatched tire, torque steer, dealer may replace Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
J 2017 Explorer 300 miles tire comes off rim!! Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 37
F 16 XP Sport tire pressure, PSI question Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
B 1,200 miles, run over a rock, need a new tire.... Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
K Tire size question Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
A Is this tire still patchable? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 19
T can you read the tire pressure through the obd2 port Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 25
M Explorer Sport - Single Tire Replacement Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
4 New to forum Tire question Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
2 Tire Size Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 20
C Tire rotation, jack points, lug nut torque spec and TPMS reset Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 20
M Flat tire, an observation... Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
M Tire Size help 2014 Sport: 275/50/20 Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
S Tire balance and alignment questions...? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
B Tire Pressure Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 16
S 2016 Explorer Sport oversize tire? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
R No tire chains - but can we use these? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
0 Tire question Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 22