Winter tires, cold wet/dry roads, no snow | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter tires, cold wet/dry roads, no snow

Odrapnew

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I wasn't sure where to post this, not sure if it really falls under one of the many tire threads.

If you think a winter tire is best in all winter conditions(including cold/dry roads), watch this. Mainly focused on braking, but it answered one question I've had for a long time. Are winter tires really better than all season or summer tires on cold dry/wet roads below the magical 44f(or so)? Up to this point, I've only seen winter tire test comparisons on snow or ice.

You can say they didn't use the best tires for each category, but I like that they used the same brand (except for the Nordic tire). Also, they only went down to 0c, so it doesn't give the full story for sub-freezing temps.

But, his comments about the 'greasy' surface(just damp and cold) show that a winter tire would be good choice due to unpredictable road conditions.

.....................................But, his comments about the 'greasy' surface(just damp and cold) show that a winter tire would be good choice due to unpredictable road conditions.
That is why they are no longer referred to as 'Snow' tires but 'Winter' tires.

Back