winter tires/wheel size for 2012 Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

winter tires/wheel size for 2012 Explorer Limited

My first post so go easy on me! I accidently posted this in the new member area first, so sorry for the duplication.

I am familiar with the "plus one/two" and "minus one/two" tire sizing rules but just need some clarification regarding the brake caliper clearance. I have a 2012 Explorer Limited with the 20" polished rims....When it comes to mounting snow tires, I'd like to save a lot of $$$ and also put on the narrower base model Explorer tires (P245/65R17). My question is: By doing so, will the brake calipers interfere with the smaller wheel size? Or put another way, does anyone know if/when you upgrade to the 20" wheel package (standard on the Limited models), if Ford puts, larger rotors/brake assemblies on the vehicle? By downsizing to the base model/wheel size, I can likely save $1000.00 and have better winter traction since the tires would also be narrower than the 20" wider profile all season tires that are on the vehicle now. Any knowledgeable, expert help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to tirerack.com and configure a winter package for your vehicle.

I did just that and it shows you can go to a 17" wheel on the Limited.

I checked it out as you suggested and you are correct, it does seem to confirm that the 17" wheels/tires will in fact fit. Thank you for the help!

I just took delivery of four 245/65 R17 Bridgestone Blizzaks with MSW wheels and TPMS for $1256, delivered.

The Ford TPM triggering tool was an additional $45.

I bought them through Tire Rack, and was assured they would fit. All I can say for sure at this point is that the lug pattern is the same and the tires circumference is virtually identical to the 20 inchers on my '12 LTD. The company does have a return/refund policy if they don't fit; Just don't drive on them first.

HI All, i was wondering an update on the winter wheels i have the 20" now and want winter tires & wheels.... worried about dropping to smaller rim size.... heard it messes up the computer.... was wondering what sizes people have used and what if any issues reported thanks!

Downsizing for Winter

I purchased a wheel and tire package through Tire Rack. I'm running 245/65 R17, 105R Bridgestone Blizzaks with MSW wheels, on my 2012 Explorer LTD.

There has been no problem with the 'computer'. Speedo is unaffected, and handling is certainly better than it would be with a wider footprint. I've run them two winters here in Vermont without any issues.

downsizing for winter

thanks for the reply!! how much did they cost if you dont mind me asking

Back