Winter tires | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter tires

When you say it bothered you driving them on the pavement, do you mean the handling, or just that you felt like you were going to burn them up too quickly?

I know when it was first suggested to me to run them year-round, i was thought it was a crazy idea, but when i started doing the math around the cost of extra rims, changeover, and tire storage costs, vs the cost of a new set of tires every 3 or 4 years, and the aggravation of having to wait for hours in tire shops during changeover season, I decided to give it a shot. I was surprised by how long the blizzards lasted through both summer and winter driving.

Both actually. They don't respond as well at all versus normal tires(more wiggle and sway), and I definitely worried about tire wear.

I'll run them until they wear out this Winter ongoing, I bought a new set of 17" studded snow tires last year that I didn't have to use. Thanks for the review of the wear of the Blizzak tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both actually. They don't respond as well at all versus normal tires(more wiggle and sway), and I definitely worried about tire wear.

I'll run them until they wear out this Winter ongoing, I bought a new set of 17" studded snow tires last year that I didn't have to use. Thanks for the review of the wear of the Blizzak tires.
My pleasure. With 10 seasons on your blizzaks it looks like you have done really well too. Continued good luck with them.

Thanks, I've put them on just before each snow predictions we get here, and end up running them for maybe 15 days a year. As others said, it's about a 30-45 minute job to swap tires at home. I usually have to do that about three times a year, on and off three times.

Way back then winter tires cost a lot more than normal street tires, say $150 was a lot versus $75 each for normal tires. These days any regular tires cost $100 or more each for an SUV, and the larger diameter tires are much much higher often. So a snow tire now isn't that much more for older tire sizes, and it's not such a big deal now, to run the snow tires until they wear out.

Does anybody know what we pay for Duties when shipping from Canada to US? I've read anything under $200 is duty free.. then I've also read about an exemption of $1,600 or something along that lines.

The dealer in CA is willing to sell me a set of rims and ship them to me to the states but I'm unsure on whether I have to pay any duty fees to the US. I can't seem to find definitive info.. worst case from what I can tell I'd pay 8% on auto parts which if I'm getting them for around $360 for 4, that's only $27 in fees.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Does anybody know what we pay for Duties when shipping from Canada to US? I've read anything under $200 is duty free.. then I've also read about an exemption of $1,600 or something along that lines.

The dealer in CA is willing to sell me a set of rims and ship them to me to the states but I'm unsure on whether I have to pay any duty fees to the US. I can't seem to find definitive info.. worst case from what I can tell I'd pay 8% on auto parts which if I'm getting them for around $360 for 4, that's only $27 in fees.

Anybody have any experience with this?
You'd probably need to speak with an importer or even just get a quote from DHL/FedEx/etc.

You'd probably need to speak with an importer or even just get a quote from DHL/FedEx/etc.

Nope, those 3rd parties charge their own fee. Has to go Canadian Post which will transfer to USPS.

I've purchased other car parts and have never paid duty fees. Bought a remote starter for a previous vehicle in Canada.. received parts from CA for my pool ladder from the manufacturer without paying fees. I think it is because it was under the $200 price. But again, trying to confirm this with anyone who is more familiar then myself.

Nope, those 3rd parties charge their own fee. Has to go Canadian Post which will transfer to USPS.

I've purchased other car parts and have never paid duty fees. Bought a remote starter for a previous vehicle in Canada.. received parts from CA for my pool ladder from the manufacturer without paying fees. I think it is because it was under the $200 price. But again, trying to confirm this with anyone who is more familiar then myself.

I live in Calgary, when I buy my Harley parts of other parts form US Sellers they usually shop to American Addresses for free. What i did I have a mailbox at Montana mailbox in Sweet Grass, Montana where I have everything shipped to, no charge. Then we have an Alberta Company called DYK Post who pick up any of my items and bring them to Calgary and they also deliver to Edmonton, and I pick up my parts from their warehouse. All I pay is Brokerage if required which is a lot less than Fede Ex or UPS and my storage fees at Montana Mailbox which are usually US $1 per day and a small service fee...There must be similar service close to other Canadian cities.

geezerglide.

We are expecting snow starting tonight so I put my 18" rim/tires (KMC KM708 18x8, 38 offset, Michelin X-Ice2 255/65/18) on that i got from Tirerack. Total package was a little above $1800 including tax, mount/balance, hubcentric rings, lug nut set--all ready to install. Clears front calipers by about a centimeter.

TPMS reset: I followed the Tirerack instructions to the letter to get the car in TPMS reset mode and used a clone Ford TPMS trigger ($15) from Amazon. The real ones are $25 but no free next day Prime shipping. Really easy.

Tirerack TPMS reset procedure (use push button start instructions):
https://www.tirerack.com/images/tpms/pdf/retail/valveMounted.pdf

Ford trigger clone that I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PNP9SVB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Authentic Ford trigger:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H1O6HE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

76943FD6-2D9E-4DBF-8052-4A801EBF4EEE.jpeg

2FFB50E0-1419-49C7-BD10-9B405E6FB4E2.jpeg

F89005A9-71BE-4120-BF9D-1482D5741621.jpeg

Look for used wheels much nicer for the same price as steel.

Look for used wheels much nicer for the same price as steel.

People tend to get steel for winter rims as they are stronger and more durable and that is just one of the several advantages regarding steel rims vs alloys. I'm more concerned about safety than looking pretty while driving through a blizzard :) LOL

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Nice looking wheels. I'll let someone a bit more knowledgeable answer your question.

Peter

This thread is helpful so far - thanks to all that contributed. Picking up my ST (with street pack) next week - judging by this post I SHOULD be able to use these rims. Can anyone confirm?

They are correct bolt pattern - 18x8, 35mm offset and 70.6 bore (which shouldn't need a hub ring)

Fast Wheels F212-1880-65BT+35C706 | FREE SHIPPING CANADA |Fast Wheels Switch - Satin Black - PartsEngine Canada

i purchased these exact rims for my ST. I fit them with the Blizzak...they look great!

For anyone that stumbles on this thread - here's the 18" Fast Switch wheels. Just bought the truck last week and got them on yesterday - I know it's late in the season, but I do travel to VERY north Ontario in April.

IMG_3924.jpg

Around here, it's never "late in the season". I used to take mine off by the end of March. The last couple of years I've been waiting until the 1st or 2nd week of April.

Peter

I also own a Focus RS (it’s winter stored, but I do put the winters on it as I drive it in fall and spring and can’t use the summer tires in those seasons as they are pucks)....with my summer/fun cars I’ve had over the years, it’s always been around the second week of April when the summers go on.

Hi, first time poster here.

I just bought a 2020 Explorer ST. It's my first Explorer as I've had nothing but F-150's since 2005. Because I live in Canada I inquired about the winter tire package offered by the dealership. They have pricing on every model for about $1700 CAD but the ST is excluded. It's because of the Street Package option with the 21" wheels. So I had them look into what rims and tires I would need and Ford recommends 20" aluminum rims with Pirelli snow tires to the tune of $4000!! This is absurd! LOL!!

My question is, do you guys know what size rims and tire combo I can actually get away with using on the ST with the street package? Maybe 19"? There has to be something more economical out there. I'm not paying $4,000 for snow tires, that's just crazy.

Thanks in advance. Any help would be much appreciated.

Check out the winter tire threads. You canucks get a real deal on the Police Intercepter steel wheels (18") and many have been using that with winter tires. You can also get 18" alloy wheels and most will probably fit on the ST. Again, at least one Canadian has posted his specific alloy rim make and model in 18" size.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, first time poster here.

I just bought a 2020 Explorer ST. It's my first Explorer as I've had nothing but F-150's since 2005. Because I live in Canada I inquired about the winter tire package offered by the dealership. They have pricing on every model for about $1700 CAD but the ST is excluded. It's because of the Street Package option with the 21" wheels. So I had them look into what rims and tires I would need and Ford recommends 20" aluminum rims with Pirelli snow tires to the tune of $4000!! This is absurd! LOL!!

My question is, do you guys know what size rims and tire combo I can actually get away with using on the ST with the street package? Maybe 19"? There has to be something more economical out there. I'm not paying $4,000 for snow tires, that's just crazy.

Thanks in advance. Any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, your thread was merged with the existing discussion using the search function on the forum.

This thread should tell you everything you need.

Back