Winterizing my 1994 Explorer XLT, tips please? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winterizing my 1994 Explorer XLT, tips please?

Exploder253

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
winters coming around and im trying to figure out everything i need to get my explorer ready for winter, i dont have pics up right now bc its nite and raining out but ill have them up in the a.m. so far im pretty much looking for a check list of preventative maintenance to get my car ready for winter and mountain use. Any help would be appreciated, only problems i have with the car so far is the oil pressure likes to spike but im pretty sure its bc its getting colder out and the oil is getting thicker, my battery meter likes to move around whenever i put the windows up or down same when lights are on, and my cv joint is going out i think because it makes a loud hum hum hum hum from under my feet whenever im driving and left off the gas, other than that the explorer seems fine other than the occasional rough start. hope someone can help out thanks

might want to check wheel bearings for that " hum hum hum" noise.
id test your antifreeze, here in canada believe it or not but we put carboard infront of the rad so it warms up faster.
check the tire pressure all around.
Clean your windows, they will defrost quicker.
im sure theres more.

Make sure the battery is good. If it's been 5-7 years since it was replaced, consider a new one.

If it wasn't done in the summer, or you don't remember when it was last done, you might want to replace the anti-freeze. Just a drain and re-fill with 50/50 coolant/water is usually good enough to freshen up the chemicals that will keep the engine cool when running and the block from freezing when it's cold.

Get defrosting windshield washer fluid with antifreeze in it. Prestone and Rain-x make some good stuff, about $2-3/gal. Worth it compared to the blue junk that just ices up your windshield.

Make sure your A/C works good for the defroster when it kicks in. Consider using Rain-x Anti-fog to wipe the interior windows with so they don't fog up. Rain-x also makes emergency wipes for this, too.

Get winter wipers. Regular blades streak and smear when they get snow and ice in the frames. Visibility is critical for winter driving.

Make sure the tires have enough tread. Consider purchasing a set of two or four tire chains or cables in case you need to get out of a ditch or move around in deep snow.

Make sure you have a supply of survival goods in the vehicle, including a flashlight, matches/flares/firestarter, food (hormel chili or beef stew works great if you can't get anything else like MREs that will store well, just be sure to pack a can opener), and maybe a knife, and a small or compact folding shovel. You might also want to buy either a survival/space blanket (foil looking thing about the size of a D-cell battery when rolled up tight), or some other kind of blanket or warm clothing. Worst case, if you get stuck somewhere or can't travel, you can stay with the vehicle for awhile and not get hungry or cold until help survives. If nothing else, you can be warm and have something to eat even if you're just waiting for a tow after the driver gets to everyone else on the way.

Also, you might want to seal up the rear seams under the cargo area floor. The tires kick up salt and snow and eventually rust holes into the floor. Save yourself the hassle later and seal up the seams with silicone, or even use a rubberized undercoating.

just wondering where you are at in washington cause over east its a helluva lot colder than it is in the puget sound i live in the seattle area so all i do is make sure i get the winter gas(filled to the top), change all fluids, do new anitfreeze, and make sue there are no leaks anywhere, andput it up on jack stands and let out all air. but this is for my collectors car not my explorer i drive mine in the winter so im not sure if your storing it or gettin it ready for winter driving

Back