Wiper Blade for 1st Gen: What length? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiper Blade for 1st Gen: What length?

prince402

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer
The blades I salvaged from a 1st gen X are 18" and Adv.Auto shows 18" for same.

They leave a lot of area un-wiped so I was thinking about getting longer replacements. It looks to me that the blades could be up to four inches longer, say 22".

I need to replace the back wiper too and am thinking getting a longer one for that too.

I'm wondering if anyone has done this and would comment on how it worked out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my old one it called for 18" but I put 20" units on and it was fine.

I use 2 19's. The 20's were a bit long on the passenger side & hit the window molding.
The back wiper keep it stock. That motor is weak. The extra weight of a bigger blade may cause it to die.

Thanks guys. The stock 18 inch blades just look too small to me.

The reason I was thinking of four inches longer is that my measurements show two inches that could be added to each of the two ends.

Since it seems a bit much but OK to me, I thought I would cool it for a bit, and ask here. I know that I might be not taking something into consideration and I appreciate all of your input such as the weak rear wiper motor (point taken).

I have thought of this many times. I may get longer blades for summer. In the winter, I'd go back to stock length because if I remote start it, it has to push a big pile of snow around, and it could burn out the motor if it stalls. Maybe it wouldn't, but replacing a wiper motor in sub-zero is something I would like to avoid.

Move to Florida :)

I just put a 21" wiper on the driver side and a 20" wiper on the passenger side.
So far all looks good. I no longer have the "tunnel vision" feeling driving in the rain.
For me it's a nice improvement.
I wouldn't want to push snow with them though.

19" Are The Correct Size for First Gen

Back