• Register Today It's free!

Damian Claassens

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 Ford Exp Platinum
Hi Everyone,

I own a 2018 Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5L V6. So far the vehicle has been pretty good going. One issue that bugs me is my wiper blades/arms. They always skip/hop/rattle/judder across the windscreen whenever they are used. I replaced the stock wiper blades with some Bosch Beam Icon™ Wiper Blades (26OE Front Left, 22OE Front Right). The skipping stopped for about two months, but the issue is back again.

Northern NJ weather extremes don't help much I know. Might the issue come from the wiper fluid I am using? Currently running Prestone All-Season 3-in-1 Washer Fluid.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Any recommendations on good wiper blade brands?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Put Bosch icons on my wife's expedition and they lasted one 8 hour road trip with 7 of it in the rain. On the return trip they started skipping and got so annoying I only used them intermittently.

I've swapped them out with carquest brand beam blades and haven't had the issue yet (2months)

I will concur on the Bosch wiper blades, not worth the money. I have the skipping issue on out Town in Country after about a day of use.

Sometimes the cheaper blades work best and also make sure you Rain X your windshield, that will help.

I have been running the Bosch Icons for over a year now and the only time that I have had a problem with then is when there is some ice or leaves stuck under them.

On the washer fluid I just run the cheap blue stuff and have had no problems with it. I have looked at using Rain X but never have.

I have the Bosch on my explorer and my mustang and they work really well.
Haven’t had any skipping issues yet.
But they are getting a little long in the tooth so prob should replace them soon
I do apply rain x from time to time and wash it somewhat regularly

Yess, my 2017 blades skip and it’s extremely annoying. They did with the oem blades and now with my rain x blades. OP, it’s like you read my mind. I wasn’t sure if I should try the Bosch blades or not. Or just try being more vigilant about cleaning my blades. Do you guys do anything special to clean them? Or maybe just apply rain x to the windshield. My concern is the angle of the blades against the windshield and that maybe there’s too little pressure or too much that’s causing the skipping.

Never had any issues with the OEM wiper blades, new or replacements, on any of my vehicles.

Peter

Hi Everyone,

I own a 2018 Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5L V6. So far the vehicle has been pretty good going. One issue that bugs me is my wiper blades/arms. They always skip/hop/rattle/judder across the windscreen whenever they are used. I replaced the stock wiper blades with some Bosch Beam Icon™ Wiper Blades (26OE Front Left, 22OE Front Right). The skipping stopped for about two months, but the issue is back again.

Northern NJ weather extremes don't help much I know. Might the issue come from the wiper fluid I am using? Currently running Prestone All-Season 3-in-1 Washer Fluid.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Any recommendations on good wiper blade brands?
Welcome to the Forum Damian.:wave:
Have you ever had the dealer check this out?

Peter

Never had any issues with the OEM wiper blades, new or replacements, on any of my vehicles.

Peter

do you do anything special or particular to maintain the blades?

Thanks for the comments and tips, everyone. I'll look into the RainX for the windshield and will try another brand and I'll post back on what happens.

Put Bosch icons on my wife's expedition and they lasted one 8 hour road trip with 7 of it in the rain. On the return trip they started skipping and got so annoying I only used them intermittently.

I've swapped them out with carquest brand beam blades and haven't had the issue yet (2months)

Thanks for the tip on the CarQuest brand. I'll look into them and possibly give them a shot.

First, clean the windshield really well with mineral spirits. This will remove wax, road grime, soap, and all manner of gook. Then hit it with Rain-X.

More often than not, the chatter is caused by varying friction across the blade surface, and thats usually a result of slippery/not slippery areas on the glass. Automatic car wash wax and "paint treatments" will trap all sorts of gook onto your glass and painted surfaces.

do you do anything special or particular to maintain the blades?
Nothing at all. I actually had them swapped with OEM replacements on the previous 2017 when they began to streak a little. When I had the 2014 MKT they went to change the wipers but the new ones wouldn' do a good job of cleaning the windshield. I guess Lincolns get a free replacement after a period of time because I didn't ask to have them changed. In the end, the service manager went back into the shop and dug the old wipers out of the trash and reinstalled them. They were on the vehicle until it was returned to the dealer (leased). My vehicles are garaged at home so that may help a little.

Peter

First, clean the windshield really well with mineral spirits. This will remove wax, road grime, soap, and all manner of gook. Then hit it with Rain-X.

More often than not, the chatter is caused by varying friction across the blade surface, and thats usually a result of slippery/not slippery areas on the glass. Automatic car wash wax and "paint treatments" will trap all sorts of gook onto your glass and painted surfaces.
The 2011 Manual actually had a statement in it that said to avoid using items such as Rain-X. I don't believe it was mentioned in subsequent Manuals.
Only use a washer fluid that meets Ford specifications. Do not use any
special washer fluid such as windshield water repellent type fluid or bug
wash. They may cause squeaking, chatter noise, streaking and smearing.

The 2020 Manual says;
• For windshields contaminated with
tree sap, chemicals, wax or bugs, clean
the entire windshield using steel wool
(no greater than 0000 grade) in a
circular motion and rinse with water.
• Clean the wiper blades with isopropyl
rubbing alcohol or windshield washer
concentrate.

Peter

The 2020 Manual says;
• For windshields contaminated with
tree sap, chemicals, wax or bugs, clean
the entire windshield using steel wool
(no greater than 0000 grade) in a
circular motion and rinse with water.

It actually says that?

You could try cleaning your windshield using #0000 bronze wool. Look that up online. Note the four zeros. #000 pry will scratch glass.

On my 96, I run OEM 19" Ford wiper blades from a 2000 F-150 with regular Anco refills. No chatter.

I tried Rain-X on my windshield once. One heavy rainy night with wipers on, the blades (still OEM with Anco refills) would leave a haze. So whenever a vehicle would pass me, their headlights would turn that haze into a blind white area that I couldn't see through. I hit the nearest car wash to blast my windshield hoping to remove that crap. I ended up using Windex and a razor blade to completely get it all removed. Rain-X bottle went into the trash.

You could try cleaning your windshield using #0000 bronze wool. Look that up online. Note the four zeros. #000 pry will scratch glass.

On my 96, I run OEM 19" Ford wiper blades from a 2000 F-150 with regular Anco refills. No chatter.

I tried Rain-X on my windshield once. One heavy rainy night with wipers on, the blades (still OEM with Anco refills) would leave a haze. So whenever a vehicle would pass me, their headlights would turn that haze into a blind white area that I couldn't see through. I hit the nearest car wash to blast my windshield hoping to remove that crap. I ended up using Windex and a razor blade to completely get it all removed. Rain-X bottle went into the trash.
I've been using Rain-X for decades and have never experienced anything like that.

Yes. It also says the same on page 299 of the 2016 Manual.

Peter
For the record, steel wool is not going to clean tree sap off of glass. Anyone ever coming into contact with tree sap will know this.

In addition, they should also include a disclaimer that the tiny rust spots that appear all over the vehicle after cleaning the windows with steel wool are in no way associated with the window cleaning instructions.

"Rinse with water". Right....and spread those tiny rust seeds everywhere.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In addition, they should also include a disclaimer that the tiny rust spots that appear all over the vehicle after cleaning the windows with steel wool are in no way associated with the window cleaning instructions.

"Rinse with water". Right....and spread those tiny rust seeds everywhere.

That's why I mentioned the bronze wool. When I have used steel wool in the past (not on glass), those little particles get everywhere :rant:

Back