Wiper Blade Skipping | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

You could try cleaning your windshield using #0000 bronze wool. Look that up online. Note the four zeros. #000 pry will scratch glass.

On my 96, I run OEM 19" Ford wiper blades from a 2000 F-150 with regular Anco refills. No chatter.

I tried Rain-X on my windshield once. One heavy rainy night with wipers on, the blades (still OEM with Anco refills) would leave a haze. So whenever a vehicle would pass me, their headlights would turn that haze into a blind white area that I couldn't see through. I hit the nearest car wash to blast my windshield hoping to remove that crap. I ended up using Windex and a razor blade to completely get it all removed. Rain-X bottle went into the trash.

I've been using Rain-X for decades and have never experienced anything like that.

The only time I had the hazing is when I used the Rain X washer fluid additive in my old car. It would haze over in cold weather where the washer fluid sprayed on the windshield.

I've never had a hazing issue with the normal RainX (spray on, buff off).

I will say I do notice more chattering of windshield wipers with a fresh coat of RainX in cold months. Chattering usually goes away after a few weeks, but RainX still works great.

I've had best luck with cheap, Michelin Cyclone hybrid wipers. All the different brands seem to work about the same and last the same amount of time for me. No sense in spending $30/ wiper when the <$10 ones work just as well.

Rubbing alcohol applied to the blade itself every other car wash and you'll get six months to a full year out of decent quality blades. Obviously the glass must be clean also.

I tried silicone wiper blades and they worked great. I could never find them in any auto stores. I had to buy them online.

Wipe your blades with a rag soaked with isopropyl alcohol and that should stop the chatter.

Back