• Register Today It's free!

Wiper problem diagnosis

Howch

Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have searched this forum for a similar problem and have come up short, so any help would be appreciated.

Wipers on 2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer operate perfectly at times and sporadically at others. Sometimes to get front (and rear) wipers to go. I tap the MFS to flash the highbeams. This will engage the wipers, which then run anywhere from one time to several minutes before another high beam flash is needed. I am just waiting to flash my highbeams at an approaching cop. Sometimes triggering the left turn signal while wipers are working will cause them to stop until the signal is cancelled. The right signal has no such effect.
Fuses, relays and motors are obviously functioning. Could this just be a loose wire or contact? I want to eliminate any other possibilitys before purchasing new MFS.

thanks,
Howch (1st post)

I have searched this forum for a similar problem and have come up short, so any help would be appreciated.

Wipers on 2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer operate perfectly at times and sporadically at others. Sometimes to get front (and rear) wipers to go. I tap the MFS to flash the highbeams. This will engage the wipers, which then run anywhere from one time to several minutes before another high beam flash is needed. I am just waiting to flash my highbeams at an approaching cop. Sometimes triggering the left turn signal while wipers are working will cause them to stop until the signal is cancelled. The right signal has no such effect.
Fuses, relays and motors are obviously functioning. Could this just be a loose wire or contact? I want to eliminate any other possibilitys before purchasing new MFS.

thanks,
Howch (1st post)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

From what I remember about reading some older posts regarding the "Multi-function switch" is there are "pins" inside of it that control the various functions. Problems arise with these pins. Below is a link to another great post by "BigRondo" on how to replace your Multi-function switch, it should help you.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279556

Sounds like the multi-function switch, the one on the steering column with the wiper switch, high/low, etc. on it. Check connections or replace it. There are two screws hidden by small plastic covers on the bottom side of the column, just back of the steering wheel as I remember. Take screws out and remove airbag cover/horn in the center of the steering wheel. Be careful with the airbag and its connections. Probably want disconnect the battery. Simple operation.

There is a recall on the multi-function switch affecting for sure Rangers and Explorers dating back to almost 02, I believe. Evidently a parts supplier was shipping bad switches. Call your dealer with your V.I.N., and they should be able to tell you whether your vehicle was affected or not.

Back