Wire Harness meets Drive Shaft - No Crank, No Start! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wire Harness meets Drive Shaft - No Crank, No Start!

tdmarthur

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Expolorer XLT
So my wife used the truck and parked it in front of the house. Five minutes later it would not start. Power everywhere but no crank. Sounds like a familiar story for these things. (O4 XLT). I checked the normal fuses and was about to jack it up to check the gear position sensor but ran out of time and took it to a shop. They found that a section of the wire harness under the truck had become unattached from the body and was rubbing on the drive shaft. It wore through a wire that fed power to an oxygen sensor creating a short to ground and blew fuse 41. Fuse 41 also powers the PCM! No PCM, No Crank, No Start. After $307.00 (including tow and a new sensor) I had my truck back, a little wiser and a little poorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for posting. No crank is a common problem mentioned on the board and your experience will give others another possible area to look at. Never heard of this one before.

I have had my Explorer for about a year and a half and I have learned a lot about it from this website. I thought this was an odd occurrence so I thought I would share it with all those who shared with me. Great site!!

if you could post a pic of the area the harness is located, that would be nice.

I tried posting a pic of the schematic detailing all that is on F41 circuit but I am not authorized!

I tried posting a pic of the schematic detailing all that is on F41 circuit but I am not authorized!

You have to use photobucket or the likes.

Mainly want the photo of the actual location where the wires were hanging down. Helps others so they can look and know they are in the exact spot.

If you want to email the pix to me I'll be happy to post them for you. I think you have to have so many posts before you can add attachments like photos.

I can do that but you won't see them until Sunday.

Back