• Register Today It's free!

Wire Over Thermostat Housing

crippy

Reaction score
City, State
Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Hey Guys!! I'm wanting to change the lower thermostat housing on my 2005 Ford Explorer but there is a very pesky wire completely in the way!

This is my explorer and the wire I'm talking about is outlined in yellow.

Does anyone know where this wire goes, or how I can disconnect it?

I'm really really really wanting to disconnect this wire before starting to remove the lower housing. I am replacing the Lower thermostat housing, because it appears to be leaking around the top of the lower housing. I already replaced the base seal and I recall how difficult it was to work around this wire.

Any help is appreciated!

IMG_20150620_120116002_HDR2_zpsh09e2jzd.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't need to unplug that wire, I've done it three times. Just remove the three hoses that is connected to the thermostat and unplug the ECT sensor connector then undo the three bolts that hold the lower housing. Lifting and wiggling the back portion a bit of the thermostat will do the trick.

Thanks for the video link!

So I'm guessing that wire doesn't actually disconnect from the front of the engine?

Thanks for the video link!

So I'm guessing that wire doesn't actually disconnect from the front of the engine?

As others have said, you do not need to unplug that wire in your pic to remove the lower t-stat housing. If you look behind the coil pack and just below it on the metal bracket the coil pack sits on, you can pop out the plastic wire clip/peg from the metal bracket that holds that wire in place and it will give you a little more length of wire to work around removing the t-stat housing. Just be careful with the wire when unplugging the plastic clip/peg. No need to remove things that do not need removing.

Thank You! I was just curious!

I agree, that wire is not an issue. Changing that housing is a 10 minute job, actually very easy considering it's a Ford. LOL

Back