Wire problem on Right Brake lamp/turn signal only | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wire problem on Right Brake lamp/turn signal only

tweakedlogic

Reaction score
City, State
memphis, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I have an 03 Sport 2wd that came in the shop. The right brake lamp doesn't work. Parking lights and back up lights work. The left side works perfectly. I have no voltage at the socket. I folowed the wire up the quarter panel accross the floor in front of the rear seat, up to the kick panel where I loose it. I don't have power anywhere up to the kick panel.
I ahve checked all fuses and even changed the flasher relay just in case.
Where does this wire go? Where is the junction? I'm trying to find the break in the connection. But I've lost the wire in that mess under the dash behind the fuse panel.

Any help will be greatly appriciated.
Thanks
Jason

I think it's the multi function switch. I have continuity from the fuse to the light socket.
explorerwirediagram.jpg

This series of Explorers are famous for MFS connector problems. Tilt/untilt the wheel and see if it affects it. Usually one of the little locks that holds the terminal in the connector housing breaks and lets the wire slip out. The harness being too tight causes the issue. If it goes back in and locks be sure to pull some slack into the harness and tiewrap it in place.Replacement connectors are available from Motorcraft if needed.

Thanks very much. I'll try that tomorrow.
I spent an hour pulling out all the interior panels tracing that wire thinking it would have multiple plugs along the way to the brake light switch. I never found one until the fuse panel. Then it took me another hour to put the stupid thing back together.

Back