• Register Today It's free!

Wired Keypad Entry Questions?

Racerlake92

Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT V6 4X4
I own a 05 XLT v6 4x4 and one of the things that didnt come stock with the truck was a driver door keypad entry...
its really annoying to see what feels like every other explorer on the road has one..
soo, I went to salvage and got a door window seal plate with the pad on it and took it home with the wiring that runs to the clip in the door and proceeded to install..
the first thing I did was remove the door molding and hooked the wiring to the existing wiring on the door and then to the new keypad...1 hour later, It's still sitting there and cant get the damn thing to work.. I have the original card with the keypad number that was in my explorer when I bought it, but there is no telling if that card actually refers to the number belonging to my truck, besides the point, I had no response out of the keypad at all it didnt light up or respond to anything...is the wiring at the door that bundles into the rest of the door wiring supposed to be there and actually ran to the security moduel or is it just dummy wiring...do I need to plug something else in else where or maybe a fuse I overlooked needs to be put in place for power to run to the wiring?

I just wanna be able to leave my damn keys in the truck and not carry them around....and yes I know for about 85$ I can go to ford and buy a stick on keypad, but honestly it looks nothing like original and I would rather choose a hard wired option anyway... Please help
Austin.:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your explorer didn't come with a keypad as an option, but yet you have the code for it? How does that work?

I've never seen a 3rd gen without a keypad on the driver's door....and certainly can't imagine your truck coming with a keypad entry code on the card in the vehicle owners manual if one wasn't equipped as a stock option.

When I took it to ford, after looking up my vin....they said that the keyless entry was a option not added as factory... regardless the security system is still in place, and so whats why the code would still exist..I'm not sure if the card belongs to my vehical but I'm sure it has one...im trying to figure out if the wiring from the door on is dummy or ligit...

Back