• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

wireless internet

College Student

Reaction score
City, State
Indinapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 EB
i know probably not the best title but it fits

My question: Is there a way to remote signal boost a wireless signal?

I am asking because my computer is upstairs wireless down and the signal is weak and really slow?annoying when im up there, something that can take 10 minutes to download will take over an hour, so im in no hurry but i would like there to please be a solution

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Howard

Moderator Elite Explorer
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milton Keynes
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 SOHC UK SPEC
Depending on what router you are using there are several Wireless extenders (repeaters) available. Best to get the one that goes with your router manufacturer. Or you could go for a mains network solution where you use the house wiring for your network.

00tec-satx

Reaction score
City, State
Dacono, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Depending on the model of the router you may be able to install custom firmware like dddwrt and boost output

Blee1099

Evil Asian
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
Install business class wireless devices.. I use Engenius products on installs in warehouses.. most home routers put out like 20mW of power to the antenna.. The ones I deal with put out close to 400-600mW

College Student

Reaction score
City, State
Indinapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 EB
thanks for the ideas, and comercial sounds awsome but i was hoping for a relatively cheap solution

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
Install business class wireless devices.. I use Engenius products on installs in warehouses.. most home routers put out like 20mW of power to the antenna.. The ones I deal with put out close to 400-600mW
That thing is badass!

College Student

Reaction score
City, State
Indinapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 EB
so jad is that like just putting another antenna on the existing router or is it somewhere else in the home and howard does that somehow plug into the wall then transmit signal, I'm still confused i need abook for dummies and i don't know the euro translation either

Howard

Moderator Elite Explorer
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milton Keynes
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 SOHC UK SPEC
They come as a pair. You plug one in near the router and connect the network cable from it to the router. You plug the other near the computer and plug the network cable from it to the computer. The network signal is transmitted via the mains wiring from one unit to the other. I've used them here with great success. They don't even need and setting up just plug in and away you go. Obviously you will need the US plug versions.

Such as these http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=294&name=Powerline-Networking

College Student

Reaction score
City, State
Indinapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 EB
looks like i ned o save up a lil bit, do these still work if it is an old house with two prong wirews.......

Howard

Moderator Elite Explorer
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milton Keynes
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 SOHC UK SPEC
looks like i ned o save up a lil bit, do these still work if it is an old house with two prong wirews.......
I have no idea as we all have the three pin type connectors, but I see no reason why they shouldn't. If they come with that type connector.

jad2411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
El Paso, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Brown eb
the antenna I linked can be connected to either the card, or the router, it comes with a few adapters.
If your card or router don't have removable antennas, then this won't work for you

Sams01XplrSprt

Southern Cali Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport (sold)