Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Honda Accord
Ok here's the stats:
Laptop HP pavilion ze5700
Desktop Dell Dimensions 2350
Router Linksys WRT54GS
Notebook adaptor WPC54G-WB

Now the problem.

According to the linksys monitor it says that there is no connection between the adapter card and the router, but as you can tell, I actually do have connection, because I am writing this on my laptop right now.
I have re-installed the software several times and still cannot get the monitor program to acknowledge that the adapter is hooked up.
I know I should just be happy that the damn things works, but I would really like for it to work correctly.
Any help on this would be very much appreciated.
TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you right click the wireless connection thing next to the clock, and click on view available wireless connections does it actually show you networks or does it say something like "Windows cannot configure the wireless connection.... etc"

I'm using the software that came with the router and adapter card.

There is nothing under site survey and under profiles is the default SSID, that I am actually hooked into.
profile information is as follows:
Wireless Mode Infastructure
Transfer rate Auto
Channel Auto
Endryption WEP
Authentication open

When you right click the wireless connection thing next to the clock, and click on view available wireless connections does it actually show you networks or does it say something like "Windows cannot configure the wireless connection.... etc"

OK I see what you are talking about. Duh
Yes it does show me 4 available networks. Mine and 3 other wireless networks that I know nothing about.

If Windows Zero Configuration is enabled & picking up wifi networks then dont bother with the linksys client. You can use either WZC or linksys but not both. You can right click on the green linksys icon down by the clock to quickly switch between them.

Be carefull what ya tell peeps dogfriend, just because its open doesnt mean its free. Dude in florida was arrested for doing that, last yr I think.

Be carefull what ya tell peeps dogfriend, just because its open doesnt mean its free. Dude in florida was arrested for doing that, last yr I think.

Actually, I was just joking. I pay for my own, just ask the cable company.;)

I remember something about that on Slashdot - there was quite the argument about the legality of using someone else's wireless signal.

You can right click on the green linksys icon down by the clock to quickly switch between them.

That is the problem. The linksys icon on the task bar IS NOT GREEN. It is gray, and when I open it up under link information it says "No Association with Access Point" then the picture shows no connection between the laptop adapter and the router, even though I do in fact have a connection. It says WPC54G is inactive. :confused:

Maybe you are inadvertently (illegally?) sharing your neighbor's connection? :p:

If Windows Zero Configuration is enabled & picking up wifi networks then dont bother with the linksys client. You can use either WZC or linksys but not both.

Windows Zero Configuration? How do I tell if it is enabled?
I'm sure that it must be, because I am connected, but How do I disable it to use the Linksys client. :eek:

Maybe you are inadvertently (illegally?) sharing your neighbor's connection? :p:

No, it is using my SSID that I setup on my router. It's just that the linksys Wireless-G Notebook adapter application thinks that it is inactive, when it is really in service. :(

If I read the specs right for that laptop it has built in wireless. I think that this is what is being used and as it is not by Linksys then the software is not using it and that is why it does not work. You don't need the adaptor card or the software for the internal wireless to work.

Howard,
On my network connections window, it is using the Wireless-G notebook Adopter for the LAN or High-Speed Internet

LAN or High-Speed Internet

It says Wireless Network Connection5
Enabled
Wireless-G notebook Adapter

Network Bridge

1394 Connection
Enabled Bridge
1394 Net Adapter

Network Bridge (Network Bridge)2
Enabled

Wireless Network Connection
Disabled Bridge