• Register Today It's free!

Wiring a 00 XLT for a trailer?

PPro

Reaction score
City, State
Whitmore Lake, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport
A friend of mine got me a really good price on a Class III hidden hitch which I just mounted today. Now I would like to wire my truck for a trailer, whats the easiest/best way of doing that? Pictures would be extra nice.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Beneath the driver's side tail light should be a harness that has an empty plug on it. This is the trailer light wiring harness. For under $20, you can buy the harness that plugs into it and terminates to the standard 4 pin flat connector. Pep Boys or any store like that should carry the harness.

Yes, it's that simple :D

check your truck, my truck had the ford harness for the traielr lights included,,, it was in the cubbyhole in the back with the spare tire stuff

Nice, thanks guys.

I will check to see if it has the plugs, however the truck didn't come stock with a hitch so I was assuming it wouldn't be wired for a trailer. I'll check just in case though.

My '01 XLS didn't come with a hitch, but it had the wire under the taillight. Ford used a generic harness for all the X's back there, so (as far as I know) all of the later Gen II trucks have it.

Back