• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Wiring Connector for Center Console

edougawa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police SUV
I'm trying to install a center console to my 2013 PIU but couldn't find the correct part number for the main harness of the console.
The connector is labeled C237 in the wiring diagram with harness number 14401 (or CB5Z-14401 as an assembly). I'm trying to get the female connector itself instead of getting the whole wiring assembly (which will costs more than the console itself).
If anyone knows the part number and how to get one please let me know. Thanks.

------------ Updated 11/03/2018 ------------------------

#1 is the harness I'm talking about. I'm looking for the counter part of it.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I'm guessing that the connector is part of the wiring harness and therefore may not have a separate part number. You can try contacting the dealer's parts department for a start if you don't get an answer here. Perhaps an auto parts recycler may have the entire harness at a lower cost. Any chance you could post a picture of it?

Peter

edougawa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police SUV
I'm guessing that the connector is part of the wiring harness and therefore may not have a separate part number. You can try contacting the dealer's parts department for a start if you don't get an answer here. Perhaps an auto parts recycler may have the entire harness at a lower cost. Any chance you could post a picture of it?

Peter
Thanks.
I got a pic but don't know how to upload it to the forum.
I have also contacted the dealership and see if they can get me an answer, but the one in my area is usually not very helpful from my experience.

edougawa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police SUV

Harness #1 is the one I'm talking about. 59-Pin. I checked the motorcraft catalog but couldn't find anything similar.

Lightn95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU
It's the same style plug as the one for the seats. But different pin sizes. You can't buy just the male or female plug from the dealer. ( ask me how i know ) you can either cut one out from a yard and de-pin it. But then you can't get new pins from the dealer ( ask me how i know ). Or you can de-pin it and make your own plug with the wires you need using a weather-pak style plug and be done.

edougawa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police SUV
It's the same style plug as the one for the seats. But different pin sizes. You can't buy just the male or female plug from the dealer. ( ask me how i know ) you can either cut one out from a yard and de-pin it. But then you can't get new pins from the dealer ( ask me how i know ). Or you can de-pin it and make your own plug with the wires you need using a weather-pak style plug and be done.
Thanks. I'll check the junk yard around and see if I can get one. If not I probably just de-pin it and get another connector.

Lightn95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU
Thanks. I'll check the junk yard around and see if I can get one. If not I probably just de-pin it and get another connector.
Problem with that is you can't get new pins. You also can't reuse the original pins so your going to be in the same position your are now...

edougawa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police SUV
Problem with that is you can't get new pins. You also can't reuse the original pins so your going to be in the same position your are now...
Guess I will have to check that. So far I'm trying to make the job as reversible as possible.
But in the worst scenario I will just crop all the wires and re-wire them to a new connector (probably a 24-pin with pig-tail, I don't have AUX AC and SYNC so more than half of the original pins are useless).

Lightn95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU
Guess I will have to check that. So far I'm trying to make the job as reversible as possible.
But in the worst scenario I will just crop all the wires and re-wire them to a new connector (probably a 24-pin with pig-tail, I don't have AUX AC and SYNC so more than half of the original pins are useless).
How many wires are you using? When I did mine I think I only used like 4. I did keep the column shifter and the power point wired I jump off the ones in the dash. I think the only ones I used had to deal with the lights in the compartments. I don't have the AUX OR SYNC either.

Last edited:

KayGee

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 & '17 PIU
When I installed my center console, the only wiring I had was for the USB/Aux input/12V on the small panel in the front bin and the rear 12V under the armrest. For the USB/Aux input/12V in the front bin, that was a plug and play swap. For the rear 12V under the armrest, I had to solder in some wire to extend the existing connector. The PIU center consoles I have don't even have the connector/wiring in your picture.

Are you installing a retail console with lighting or other features that you are trying to implement or are you converting to a console shifter from retail explorer?

edougawa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police SUV
How many wires are you using? When I did mine I think I only used like 4. I didn't keep the column shifter and the power point wired I jump off the ones in the dash. I think the only ones I used had to deal with the lights in the compartments. I don't have the AUX OR SYNC either.
I didn't make an exact count yet. I will need to wire 2 power points (inside the box and 2nd row), keeping the illuminations, re-wiring the audio aux-in to another application (a radio scanner, will be wired to the center speaker on the dash, which I don't have the parts in hands yet), and a 6-switches relay box (don't know what will be wired to the box yet, but installed it to fulfill the empty space after removing the whole floor shift assembly).

So probably around 20-pins

When I installed my center console, the only wiring I had was for the USB/Aux input/12V on the small panel in the front bin and the rear 12V under the armrest. For the USB/Aux input/12V in the front bin, that was a plug and play swap. For the rear 12V under the armrest, I had to solder in some wire to extend the existing connector. The PIU center consoles I have don't even have the connector/wiring in your picture.

Are you installing a retail console with lighting or other features that you are trying to implement or are you converting to a console shifter from retail explorer?
Yea, this is the retail version center console. The dealer installed it when I get the car, but figured out later that he didn't do any wiring at all.

Kikinz24

Reaction score
City, State
Youngstown, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer base
You'll have to go to a junk yard or find someone parting one that plug is part of the dash harness. I might have one in the shop I'll have to look I've done 2 console swaps one in my personal ecoBoost piu. Benefits of parting vehicles out

edougawa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police SUV
You'll have to go to a junk yard or find someone parting one that plug is part of the dash harness. I might have one in the shop I'll have to look I've done 2 console swaps one in my personal ecoBoost piu. Benefits of parting vehicles out
I’ve checked a few junk yard around me but no luck so far. Any chance you have an extra, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

jasonjj

Reaction score
City, State
Bellingham, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Interceptor
Anyone have the wire PIN numbers and what they are for the center console shown above?
It has an SD card reader in it. Any use for that?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Anyone have the wire PIN numbers and what they are for the center console shown above?
Hi Jason. That is used for the navigation system. The SD card contains the map info. I believe it can also be used to read cards with other info on them as well. I'm sure someone will comment on the last part.

Peter

edougawa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police SUV
Here's pin out for the connector (for 2013, wire gauges and pin out differs for different model years, so I tested the pins out with a multi-meter before actually wiring them)

I finally got the connector from a scrap yard in Asia (one of my friend found it and shipped it to me), and de-pinned everything and re-do all the wires (that's headache). So far I got both power points, the interior lighting and AUX audio jack works (with tons of noise as shielding wire missing, but still usable).

As for the USB port and SD card readers, I tried to reuse them for other purposes (as I don't have sync on board and swapped to after-market stereo), but so far no luck, found no way to get the module works with non-sync system.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
No diagrams are showing above.

Peter

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Good to go now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

jasonjj

Reaction score
City, State
Bellingham, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Interceptor
Do you have a legend of wires you used to get the power points, lighting and AUX to work?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M BLIS Troubleshooting & Wiring Diagram Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
N Dash wiring Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 9
N Blue goose color code? Dash wiring diagram? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 6
A Wiring for power outlets in front dash: 2 12 volt plugs on bottom of middle stack Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 2
A 2013 Utility Wiring help, rear tail light brake lights Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 4
E GPS/LTE Antenna Wiring Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 7
M auxillary audio input - wiring diagram on jack side Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 0
2 2013 Explorer PIU steering wheel control wiring. HELP! Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 3
J 2014 Explorer Interceptor headlights wiring Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 3
P Police wiring help - 12 wires under hood Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 5
Trader0000 AUX Button Light Wiring Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 15
K 2016/7 PIU - 4 way flat trailer wiring? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 1
B Center Console Mystery Connector Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 12
T Delayed accessory feed in police connector Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 9
E Steering Wheel Switch Cluster Display/14-way Connector on 2013 PIU Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 1
B Cargo Light Connector Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 1
V PIU steel wheel center cap Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 2
S Front center seat? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 9
D 2011 Center Console Swap Advice Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 18
W 3D Printed Center Console Part Wanted Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 23
B What to put where the center dash speaker would go? Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 9
M Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU 231