Wiring Connector for Center Console | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring Connector for Center Console

Do you have a legend of wires you used to get the power points, lighting and AUX to work?

I used to have it when I’m doing the mod, but doubt if I can still find them now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a legend of wires you used to get the power points, lighting and AUX to work?

Here it is, Jason. I almost trashed it.

Those highlighted pins are the one I connected.

Wire gauges are also marked for reference, remember use big enough wire for the power point and fuse them properly (I use a 15A fuse for each). Color-code also for reference only, sounds like it change from year to year.

For the AUX, since I didn't use any shield cable the noise it terrible (well, sounds like when you have poor radio reception). You might need to figure out how to fix that yourself.

The marking are the following meanings,

IL: illumination
MH: Media Hub (power and AUX audio, notice that on the diagram it said 5V power, but I never get the hub itself work so I have no idea at all. The AUX is working though)
R / B: Connectors for power points (couldn't remember why I use R and B are marking but one of them is for the 2nd row power point and the other is for the one inside the center storage, you need to test it out yourself)
B+: Battery Positive
GND: Ground

I suggest testing out the pins with a multi-meter before wiring them. Have fun with it.

18dyjkJ8N6PLZ70wR7K4xZS_U-ggHlZTZhEnGE6bU4DcKzc52ZIyUrnTPuTW9Orq9T2L9eBCP03l0w6ujRZqmuVgMDgmDspu9nFMPqIAKVUpbDrVhfXzmCK9uVUYHf4C-vIZoUx3w32BJocvotthcfrSTN_WPK-gMs-6vUv23a4YOeCpyQpLvAuvvSFPxNvAHFgeZ2Bn3XCdRMY-hHSSMBnWfIymY2k6cv2TataTjzOpjnKvEk75hxhoktAxPNiZW6jPtPFpO5LQbvrhjUPGMIhfca89pUqaRLpclHHaevS5u_JzRDc6NjeYzu8I1aTMSzmiHm-MokFFhbPqSngJJhnTYbu1N1Ry03RMEBtJCr4kMjbE3lRMg-EBco5VV9XD3DlpotNuYwEzKdGiPtZzpnIQ8Bj0Oy0TTAKdcIngMKRZLx1Efeef3gSvh18XaISVbwaXgh4aPy7LlswnL-n5EUFnOvUX4kX_i3kZvvKFefOu9d3g1sJj1CI-uSR00NxfdrO9CKjSHrBjjclKhsWN6pEd5hfFWB8oPf-Y4Y1eZ7_wgYJ1E4bKjhPUbLqJHl4m4V6tOHdu0RcLalYnyE0Z_-bf6KgKagTEYShMxvYYO8GOBkUNQOJgj-qWRVmY6N9K1bTHaHvbMrsvcITBlH_VONOZpL9JAAc=w667-h889-no

[Backup link] https://photos.app.goo.gl/6Qyio7E8PgJQPG7dA

This was incredibly helpful! I believe your R/B are actually R/S which would be the Run/Start (ignition initiated) designation (at least in my upfitters guide). I used these to run my hardwired dashcam and it only comes on with ignition.

To add for any future help - I did have to tap the #31 hot (green/red iirc) as it fed the powerpoint/cigarette plug up front and next to the media hub on mine. Also, I have saved your female plug pinout - if the hosting ever disappears and anyone else needs it, I've got the backup copy.......all credit to original poster :)

@edougawa your details plus the wiring diagram were helpful, I think the (+) wires for the 3 power plugs in the console were red, blue, green, so I’m assuming that was what the R & B indicated.

My female connector had some good leads and I just went through the wiring diagram to figure out what pins I needed for what I was keeping In place for now. I then de-pinned the remaining wires that I wouldn’t use to get them out of the way, essentially rear ac controls and console shifter, removed. This left the 3 12v power ports, terrain management (power + canbus), aux and illumination lighting.

I just then extended all the female console harness connectors to the police 6-way power, 14 way power and stock 12v power wires. Also ran terrain management canbus over to the GFM harness behind the glove box. I’m keeping the rest of the wires as I hope to relocate the shifter in the future but for now just wanted less wires to sort through while I’m wiring up console with the basics.

Here it is, Jason. I almost trashed it.

Those highlighted pins are the one I connected.

Wire gauges are also marked for reference, remember use big enough wire for the power point and fuse them properly (I use a 15A fuse for each). Color-code also for reference only, sounds like it change from year to year.

For the AUX, since I didn't use any shield cable the noise it terrible (well, sounds like when you have poor radio reception). You might need to figure out how to fix that yourself.

The marking are the following meanings,

IL: illumination
MH: Media Hub (power and AUX audio, notice that on the diagram it said 5V power, but I never get the hub itself work so I have no idea at all. The AUX is working though)
R / B: Connectors for power points (couldn't remember why I use R and B are marking but one of them is for the 2nd row power point and the other is for the one inside the center storage, you need to test it out yourself)
B+: Battery Positive
GND: Ground

I suggest testing out the pins with a multi-meter before wiring them. Have fun with it.

18dyjkJ8N6PLZ70wR7K4xZS_U-ggHlZTZhEnGE6bU4DcKzc52ZIyUrnTPuTW9Orq9T2L9eBCP03l0w6ujRZqmuVgMDgmDspu9nFMPqIAKVUpbDrVhfXzmCK9uVUYHf4C-vIZoUx3w32BJocvotthcfrSTN_WPK-gMs-6vUv23a4YOeCpyQpLvAuvvSFPxNvAHFgeZ2Bn3XCdRMY-hHSSMBnWfIymY2k6cv2TataTjzOpjnKvEk75hxhoktAxPNiZW6jPtPFpO5LQbvrhjUPGMIhfca89pUqaRLpclHHaevS5u_JzRDc6NjeYzu8I1aTMSzmiHm-MokFFhbPqSngJJhnTYbu1N1Ry03RMEBtJCr4kMjbE3lRMg-EBco5VV9XD3DlpotNuYwEzKdGiPtZzpnIQ8Bj0Oy0TTAKdcIngMKRZLx1Efeef3gSvh18XaISVbwaXgh4aPy7LlswnL-n5EUFnOvUX4kX_i3kZvvKFefOu9d3g1sJj1CI-uSR00NxfdrO9CKjSHrBjjclKhsWN6pEd5hfFWB8oPf-Y4Y1eZ7_wgYJ1E4bKjhPUbLqJHl4m4V6tOHdu0RcLalYnyE0Z_-bf6KgKagTEYShMxvYYO8GOBkUNQOJgj-qWRVmY6N9K1bTHaHvbMrsvcITBlH_VONOZpL9JAAc=w667-h889-no

[Backup link] New item by West Liang
Hello there member, I saved all of your information that you’re willing to share with us but I have one quick question for you following this I was able to illuminate the bin, the foward bin also near the sync area, and the shifter indicator. However the cupholders in the rear illumination for floor boards that come from the top area of the back of the console do not lineup at all what am I missing for that?

@edougawa your details plus the wiring diagram were helpful, I think the (+) wires for the 3 power plugs in the console were red, blue, green, so I’m assuming that was what the R & B indicated.

My female connector had some good leads and I just went through the wiring diagram to figure out what pins I needed for what I was keeping In place for now. I then de-pinned the remaining wires that I wouldn’t use to get them out of the way, essentially rear ac controls and console shifter, removed. This left the 3 12v power ports, terrain management (power + canbus), aux and illumination lighting.

I just then extended all the female console harness connectors to the police 6-way power, 14 way power and stock 12v power wires. Also ran terrain management canbus over to the GFM harness behind the glove box. I’m keeping the rest of the wires as I hope to relocate the shifter in the future but for now just wanted less wires to sort through while I’m wiring up console with the basics.
What with the FPIU I can still use the terrain management control? Can you share how I can hook it up? Also with the illumination wiring I have not gotten the cupholders or the rear floor board illumination to work can you possibly help me figure that one out. When it comes to the illumination I could only get the big bin, the little bin in the front hooked up, along with the shift indicator which I don’t even need, they light no problem.

What with the FPIU I can still use the terrain management control? Can you share how I can hook it up? Also with the illumination wiring I have not gotten the cupholders or the rear floor board illumination to work can you possibly help me figure that one out. When it comes to the illumination I could only get the big bin, the little bin in the front hooked up, along with the shift indicator which I don’t even need, they light no problem.
I haven’t found any use for it with the FPIU. I have the terrain management dial wired in, but it just lights up in that blue-ish green color. Even with it wired into the Canbus it does nothing. I tried this with a retail gauge cluster installed and when turning the terrain dial the gauge cluster just reports some error in the left side screen effectively saying there is an errror or it’s not a function it recognizes.

If you want to try it there is a spare police connector pinned up behind the glove box that has an available canbus connector that you can connect to. Just make sure you have some good twisted pair cable or you’ll run into signal issues for the canbus system.

My guess is that the ECU and Trans etc need programming that exists in the retail models and not part of the PIU computers

I haven’t found any use for it with the FPIU. I have the terrain management dial wired in, but it just lights up in that blue-ish green color. Even with it wired into the Canbus it does nothing. I tried this with a retail gauge cluster installed and when turning the terrain dial the gauge cluster just reports some error in the left side screen effectively saying there is an errror or it’s not a function it recognizes.

If you want to try it there is a spare police connector pinned up behind the glove box that has an available canbus connector that you can connect to. Just make sure you have some good twisted pair cable or you’ll run into signal issues for the canbus system.

My guess is that the ECU and Trans etc need programming that exists in the retail models and not part of the PIU computers
Ok cool so cup going in that terrain control spot... cool cool cool. Now I have everything wired and ready. i got most everything to light when I turn the lights on except no lighting in cup holders or rear floorboard lights that shine from back of center console top area. Can you help with that? Also what do you think about the old center shifter area becoming a scanner/pa?

Ok cool so cup going in that terrain control spot... cool cool cool. Now I have everything wired and ready. i got most everything to light when I turn the lights on except no lighting in cup holders or rear floorboard lights that shine from back of center console top area. Can you help with that? Also what do you think about the old center shifter area becoming a scanner/pa?
I’ve got a 2014 and I don’t recall there being any lights for the rear floorboard on the console. Maybe that’s new for the 16+ models. If there is some that sounds great because that second row is pretty dark at night. I was considering finding an overhead light.

I’m planning to convert mine to a console shifter and don’t know a scanner/PA size but sounds cool if it fits there.

I’ve got a 2014 and I don’t recall there being any lights for the rear floorboard on the console. Maybe that’s new for the 16+ models. If there is some that sounds great because that second row is pretty dark at night. I was considering finding an overhead light.

I’m planning to convert mine to a console shifter and don’t know a scanner/PA size but sounds cool if it fits there.
Yeah mine is from a 2016 sport. But I am going around fords wiring and making my own spot lights for the back.

Yeah mine is from a 2016 sport. But I am going around fords wiring and making my own spot lights for the back.
If you can take some pics along the way. I’d love to see what your doing. I wanted to try wiring the police overhead lights to the interior map lights so all the lights come on when I open the doors. But something like this sounds like a great idea for a little additional light for the kids in the back.

Ok so project is nearly done now. I have to install a photocell for the lights I installed on the cup holders and the rear spot lights for the floor board. They require a non dimmer line so I separated them from the regular illumination wire. Right now I have them temporarily hook up to the timed accessory line. I did care to change colors so I went with ice blue.

Now second upgrade: I installed two usb/usb-c hubs on each side of center console as back ups. Don’t worry seats don’t get close. Also installed a 110v 150watt power supply (fit perfectly into the hole the shifter sat in) and extension wires to the ac plug on back with an led that only comes on when the switch is on.

Rear ac controls, unplugged them an painted them matte black.

I did install/swap the piece under headlights for one with switches (more to come)

Installed auto headlights (Working on finding the sensor and harness) for now they come on with ignition.

So as of right now, all things work except the photocell will be installed this week and my friend is 3D printing some things for the shifter and terrain controls (I have some special planned for this). Will take some night pictures tonight.

Future plans:
- photocell
- pockets for open areas
- glove box light
- under dash and seat lighting
- fog light and other accessories switches

69E6EC05-2B5C-4D0F-93FD-2AADD4ADF146.jpeg 6E323348-68FE-452B-96B1-2C440980B8F9.jpeg 7FB761E2-B036-431F-A47B-6F1EC87FD2E8.jpeg DD314DE3-C590-4164-B808-35F0D474F78B.jpeg C08C8F85-7249-45C3-B1D1-B64068EDCD5C.jpeg 6729830A-31DF-4265-8ECF-4084F07604CE.jpeg 61D79E1D-926D-44F8-BD1E-F908D3C5F6C8.jpeg D66A71D1-B1D0-4E26-9067-879D3EEFF9DE.jpeg 2D3799B3-FB6B-49AF-8976-5217FAD96254.jpeg 385304B1-2B1A-4DD3-857F-3E086175829B.jpeg 14E485BE-0F76-44EF-AF5E-129294910702.jpeg 0AE6EBDC-21FB-459B-975D-BE54FB5E72EB.jpeg 23F9DEEE-CEAF-4E83-B793-AA7E284CA330.jpeg 53888B8C-4732-4A82-99F4-CBB316B36E89.jpeg 0A6DA66B-0A4F-40F0-BE9E-E2048D3DB3E2.jpeg 4F7E15CC-E484-4BC5-9A64-50E3F2881831.jpeg

Night Shots - it’s actually not that bright.
Looks very cool. It meant to be not bright so it won't district you from driving. Mine doesn't have the cup holder light and the floor light.

Looks very cool. It meant to be not bright so it won't district you from driving. Mine doesn't have the cup holder light and the floor light.
Yeah in 2016-2019 they have ambient light around cup holders and into back floor boards from the center console area. But they are color changing and I don’t have the main controller so I went with ice blue, the iPhone makes it look bright but it is about the same brightness as the factory lights.

Hello,
Does anyone know the answer to the question:
How to connect the other two 12V sockets (so-called cigarette lighter) in the front console?
What connector do I need to connect them?
I have already used one power connector (small one), as shown in the photo, and the others I do not know what they are for.
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-10 at 13.19.43 (4).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-10 at 13.19.43 (19).jpeg

Hello,
Does anyone know the answer to the question:
How to connect the other two 12V sockets (so-called cigarette lighter) in the front console?
What connector do I need to connect them?
I have already used one power connector (small one), as shown in the photo, and the others I do not know what they are for.
View attachment 428734View attachment 428737
It should be the two “T” type connectors that are at the top left of your first photo those plug in the cigarette lighter in accessory ports

Ok so project is nearly done now. I have to install a photocell for the lights I installed on the cup holders and the rear spot lights for the floor board. They require a non dimmer line so I separated them from the regular illumination wire. Right now I have them temporarily hook up to the timed accessory line. I did care to change colors so I went with ice blue.

Now second upgrade: I installed two usb/usb-c hubs on each side of center console as back ups. Don’t worry seats don’t get close. Also installed a 110v 150watt power supply (fit perfectly into the hole the shifter sat in) and extension wires to the ac plug on back with an led that only comes on when the switch is on.

Rear ac controls, unplugged them an painted them matte black.

I did install/swap the piece under headlights for one with switches (more to come)

Installed auto headlights (Working on finding the sensor and harness) for now they come on with ignition.

So as of right now, all things work except the photocell will be installed this week and my friend is 3D printing some things for the shifter and terrain controls (I have some special planned for this). Will take some night pictures tonight.

Future plans:
- photocell
- pockets for open areas
- glove box light
- under dash and seat lighting
- fog light and other accessories switches

View attachment 425078 View attachment 425079 View attachment 425080 View attachment 425081 View attachment 425082 View attachment 425083 View attachment 425084 View attachment 425085 View attachment 425086 View attachment 425087 View attachment 425088 View attachment 425089 View attachment 425090 View attachment 425091 View attachment 425092 View attachment 425093
Question about your 110 out light. Did you wire the existing plug into a 3 prong extension to your inverter? Or did you swap to an entirely different outlet?

Question about your 110 out light. Did you wire the existing plug into a 3 prong extension to your inverter? Or did you swap to an entirely different outlet?
Well I dismantled the power plug port and stuck my LED in the spot and took the two wires coming of the plug outlet and wired to a male end to stick into my power supply. As for the LED it was 12v so I wired a hot lead to the same switched input for the power supply so when I turn it on it powers the led showing it was on. I wanted the ability to leave the Power supply off if I wasn't using it. My source for the power supply came from one of the cig/accessory power point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I dismantled the power plug port and stuck my LED in the spot and took the two wires coming of the plug outlet and wired to a male end to stick into my power supply. As for the LED it was 12v so I wired a hot lead to the same switched input for the power supply so when I turn it on it powers the led showing it was on. I wanted the ability to leave the Power supply off if I wasn't using it. My source for the power supply came from one of the cig/accessory power point.
Awesome thanks for answering that I am tinkering with it now getting the 6 way and 14 way figured for mine.

Back