Wiring devils | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring devils

Ive been now stumped by this problem for a few days now, so its time to post up. I recently installed 4 kc's on my bumper and I have been trying to complete my wiring. The lights are wired 2 outside together, 2 inside together each pair going to a seperate relay. They are a spst relay, each wired with an inline fuse from the battery and seperate switch inputs. The switches are as follows, and this is where the problem is. I have 3 total, a master power switch, which when activated sends power to the other 2 switches which can then send power to the relays. The master power gets its current from a painless fuseblock by the parking brake. The fusebox is fed via a wire from the battery with another inline fuse.

The problem is that whenever i try and turn on the outside lights, the inline fuse at the battery for the fuseblock blows. The all other fuses are fine. let me make a picture, i turn on the master power switch, all is fine. I turn on the inside lights, all is fine. I turn on the outside lights, blamo, I lose both lights. Same thing even if the inside lights arnt already on. Anyone got a "bright" idea?

See here for some pics of the lights wired and the switches. if anyone needs clarification on something let me know. camera is broken so I cannot get pics at this time.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155515

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the relay for the outside lights is wired wrong.
I have never done this but I'll try to describe how I would try.
One + wire to master switch(MS) and two wires from MS to each light switch(LS) and one wire from each LS to the seperate relays.

thats exactly how its wired now. I checked everything w/multimeter, its all working right at the panel and relays. Im thinking that im grounding out somewhere inbetween the switch for the light and the relay. Im gonna remove the inline fuse to the fuseblock and check and see if the one at the block blows as well. if it does, then I know its a problem due to early grounding, not one of wiring.

Double check your relay pins on the one thats blowing fuses. Its easy to put as wire on the wrong pin. Just ask me....

i knew al the wiring was perfect, i checked it and checked again and again. I found the problem however, on the switch panel it was grounding out againt the sheetmetal on the roof when I pushed it into place. A few wraps of electrical tape and the problem was solved. See picture for the wiring before and after tape.

Attachments

• back of panel b4 tape.JPG
    back of panel b4 tape.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 160
  • taped relay.JPG
    taped relay.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 165
  • fuseblock.JPG
    fuseblock.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 161
  • tied relays.JPG
    tied relays.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 180

Your truck is Emily Rose.. There's your reason for your electrical problems

Glad you found the problem. Sorry I couldnt have been more help but the outcome is what counts. Ride on.....

ben.. go get stuck or something. I did have the mother of all problems today, however it fixed itself rather quickly

Back