Wiring diagram for interior lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring diagram for interior lights

erzza

Reaction score
City, State
Mora
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Need help with my 98XLT
My interior lights stays on with all doors closed ,but no door ajar warning light.
Is it the same switch in the door for the interior light and the door ajar warning ?
If i open any of the doors the door ajar light goes on ,so if the same switch is used for both i think the problem is somthing else maybe a relay??
But there to find them?
Anyone got a wiring diagram for the interior lights including switches in doors and relays?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you probably have a stuck interior lamp relay (in 96, its in the aux relay box #4)

aux relay box #4 its in the jack compartment? right?
Have tried to pull the relays one by one but the interior lamps is still on so there must be another relay somewhere.
Maybe another wiring om 98´s ?

there is an interior fuse for most of the "stuff" (ie. over head light, map lights, hood, glove compartment). Pull it and it should turn off that stuff and your courtesy lights (door / overhead). That will give you a "work around". And now for the real answer...:) as I look at the diagram... if your relay wasn't stuck (ie. you pulled it and it had no effect) then its most likely your dimmer switch is "foobarred"..... as this is the "other source" of voltage for your lights.

I found the problem,,actually there is no problem.
I had just turned the dimmer to far to the top causing interior lamps to light.
had no idea my car had this function, maybe i should read the owners manual to see if theres somthing else i missed...

Thanks for the help!

my interior lamps don't switch off even when doors are shut. and where do i find an aux relay box for the interior lights?

Last edited:

my interior lamps don't switch off even when doors are shut. and where do i find an aux relay box for the interior lights?

This thread is long dead buddy.... Try turning down your dimmer switch... if they dont turn off... make a new thread.. thread revivals rarely work.

Back