• Register Today It's free!

wiring for 1000/1 jl amp

morgan1

Reaction score
City, State
Pratt ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 2dr sport 2wd
Hey, I'm sure to make a couple of people mad but here goes. I've got a stock 98 sport with an upgraded head unit and 6x8s. I also have some 4 gauge amp wiring left from my previous vehicle. My question is what gauge of wire would you guys recommend for a 1000 watt amp and 2.5 farad cap with stock alternator and battery? Oh, the amp is pushing 1 12w7 in a powerwedge box. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4 gauge wire should be fine, just keep the ground wire as short as possible. Don't try to run the power and ground the length of the vehicle, just find a good spot near the amp to tie your ground to and keep the power line fuse for the amp as close to the battery as possible.

Thanks, I looked on Crutchfield's website and they recommended 4 ga also. I was wondering if anyone knows how to alleviate my headlight dimming with the bass?

Thanks, I looked on Crutchfield's website and they recommended 4 ga also. I was wondering if anyone knows how to alleviate my headlight dimming with the bass?

get a new alternator

Get a Red or Yellowtop Optima battery, and get another in the back, or one of the Kinetik high power audio batteries.

4 gauge wire should be fine, just keep the ground wire as short as possible. Don't try to run the power and ground the length of the vehicle, just find a good spot near the amp to tie your ground to and keep the power line fuse for the amp as close to the battery as possible.

Won't hurt a thing and in fact helps in many cases. It isn't necessary in most cars with full frames. Unibody, well, that's altogether different.

I would run as big as you can afford. 4ga should be fine if you don't plan to add another amp. If you have plans to add another amp, I would run 1/0 to the cap then 4ga from there to the amp. I ran a 500/1 and a 300/2 off a 4ga from the battery to my cap then 4ga to the amps. I also ran 8ga for speaker wire from the 500/1 to a 10w7

im trying to change front door speakers

Back