Wiring for towing a horse trailer? (Because uhaul sucks) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring for towing a horse trailer? (Because uhaul sucks)

SarahS

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XL
I'm planning to move from California to Kansas in a couple of weeks, and I ran up against the Uhaul/no trailers to be pulled by Explorers thing. Since no one else seems to rent trailers, I'm looking into buying one, using it for the move, and then selling it once we get to Kansas. The cheapest option seems to be an old 2-horse trailer...

I have a Class 3 frame mounted hitch, so I'm thinking that will work. My problem is the wiring. I have a 4 pin flat trailer connector already hooked up. All of the horse trailers I've see take round connectors, mostly 6 pin. Is there an easy way to convert this? Or would the trailer need to be completely rewired? I know people with Explorers tow horse trailers, so there must be a way around this, right...

I also muct admit that although I dearly love my Explorer, my knowledge of vehicle-stuff is minimal at best, so please use small words and speak slowly...

Thanks,

Sarah

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The trailer can be re wired unless it has electric brakes. That is the important part. They probably do, which means you would also need a Electric brake controller on your Explorer and the seven pin round plug.

http://www.etrailer.com/finder_adapter.asp

It's wiring harness adapter finder. You first enter the type of plug on the truck and next enter the type of plug on the trailer and the site will list the harness that you need. Etrailers is a reputable company that carries just about anything you'll need for hauling.

Welcome to the site.

Lee

Thank you!

So, the wiring plug seems pretty easy (and cheap), but the electric brakes issue looks thornier... and more expensive. Would any trailer require this? Like if I had been able to rent a cargo trailer from u-haul, would I still have needed a brake controller?

Sarah

SarahS said:
Thank you!

So, the wiring plug seems pretty easy (and cheap), but the electric brakes issue looks thornier... and more expensive. Would any trailer require this? Like if I had been able to rent a cargo trailer from u-haul, would I still have needed a brake controller?

Sarah

Depends on the size and configuration. It is possible to get big trailers without them.

Maybe.. I rented a Bobcat-like thing from Home Depot and the trailer had a universal brake controller. It plugs into the lighter socket and is wireless.

SarahS said:
Thank you!

Would any trailer require this? Like if I had been able to rent a cargo trailer from u-haul, would I still have needed a brake controller?

Sarah

No, I have rented the 12' trailer from them (luckily they still rent to the non-Explorer named vehicles even though they are the same...), and the larger trailers have hydraulic brakes and only have the 4-pin wire harness.

I believe the horse trailers are pretty heavy, and loaded up for moving, you will probably want to have working brakes on it, especially if you are going through the mountains.

blichy said:
No, I have rented the 12' trailer from them (luckily they still rent to the non-Explorer named vehicles even though they are the same...), and the larger trailers have hydraulic brakes and only have the 4-pin wire harness.

I believe the horse trailers are pretty heavy, and loaded up for moving, you will probably want to have working brakes on it, especially if you are going through the mountains.

Exactly. Typically horse trailers are pretty heavy to begin with, which is why they definately need brakes when you load a couple of stallions into them. U-haul's trailers come equipped with hydraulic surge brakes. If they're in good working order, the only additional load they put on the vehicle under braking is to overcome the spring pressure on the coupler.

Electric brakes are a whole other beast. The trailer will still roll without them just fine, and you can adapter the lights to make it work just fine. However, load up a trailer around 4500-5000 lbs and try to stop it, and it's a whole other ball game. Running down-hill through the mountains would be utter insanity!

225714.jpg

When the brakes went out on this on level ground coming to a stop light, it was a pucker-factor of 12 on the 1-10 scale. :eek: I wouldn't want to try pulling that load through the mountains without brakes!

Now, as for your idea, I would do one of two things: Use that trailer , but get a brake controller installed by a trailer shop and (more importantly) learn how to use it. Do a couple of dry-hauls to learn how to tune it before the actual run. The other option is to get a trailer with surge brakes. They're a little more maintenance, but they don't require the controller. Unfortunately they're much more common on boat trailers than toy haulers, but I'm sure they're out there.

Your idea of buying one, using it, and selling it is a great idea if you can spare the cash for a while. It usually ends up being much cheaper than renting, especially for a one-way move.

Good luck!

-Joe

Sarah do you have the V8 or V6? I'd consider adding an auxiallary transmission oil cooler if it were me. The v6 is not the best choice for heavy towing, and definitely not without an extra oil cooler.

I assume it's a V6...is there an easy way to tell? I'd read that my Explorer came with a standard towing package and assumed that was sufficient, maybe not? I was reading the owner's manual but having a really hard time figuring out just how much weight I could tow.

Maybe I should just get a 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer instead... that would have about the same amount of interior room but be lighter, I think? And it would probably work with my plug and not have electric brakes?

Sarah

The manual would be the best way. Or you could just look under the hood; there's usually a big piece of plastic on the top saying how big the engine is. A 4.0=6cyl for explorers. A brake controller is very useful for towing anything with wheels.
On my dad's superduty, he sometimes tows 3000lb scions, and if the brake controller is malfunctioning, it's like trying to stop in mud. Sounds like you'll have the horse trailer (which are naturally heavy to contain a heavy payload of horses) loaded up more than halfway. I would estimate that you'd have at least 1500lbs to tow. (trailer, and your stuff) X's are hogs for handleing (braking, acclerateing, turning etc).

I wouldn't tow anything without the brake controller. I would also recommend that transmission cooler if you can afford it. Haveing driven from Michigan to New Mexico, those mountain roads can get VERY steep. Riding the brakes isn't an option because you'll melt them. Other option is jerry braking (downshifting, which is illegal in most states) which loads the tranny up fast.

Brake controller can be installed fairly quickly. A good tech can do it in about 15 mins. Average time for install can take up to 30 mins. But it can make the difference in stoping in time and rear ending someone.

P.S.: Did you by chance happen to live in Buntington beach at one time?

I'm not trying to alarm you.. just think a heavy horse trailer loaded might be a chore for the V6 auto trannie. I'm local to you, by the way.

Oh, I wish all vehicle stuff was this easy! I found the big piece of plastic and it does indeed say 4.0.

No, please do alarm me! I would hate to end up stranded in Wyoming with my daughter, two dogs, two cats, all my wordly goods, and a broken-down explorer. I'll start looking for a nice cheap used cargo trailer, I guess.

No, I've never lived in Huntington Beach...

Glacier, it's good to know you're close by! I'm actually up in Yolo county, on a farm - my Explorer comes in handy during the winter, when I drive through a couple of feet of water and mud just to get home some days.

Sarah

Sarah, my sis runs a Horse boading operation and riding school in Yolo county...

Actually... as I think of your trip cross I-80.... only a couple places worry me... up over Donner summit, and I think there is an uphill near Laramie.. (sure is a long downhill)... flat is ok..no towing in OD!

SarahS said:
I assume it's a V6...is there an easy way to tell? I'd read that my Explorer came with a standard towing package and assumed that was sufficient, maybe not? I was reading the owner's manual but having a really hard time figuring out just how much weight I could tow.

Maybe I should just get a 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer instead... that would have about the same amount of interior room but be lighter, I think? And it would probably work with my plug and not have electric brakes?

Sarah

Having the "standard towing package" may mean that your X already has the aux tranny cooler that Glacier mentioned. On the original sticker of my 98 it says 'trailer prep package' and I have the aux tranny cooler. Confirming that you have this would be a good thing and give you some more piece of mind.

Open your hood and look down thru the opening next to the latch. The aux tranny cooler will be a smaller thinner radiator that sits in front (and towards the passenger side) of the main radiator.

Lee

ive got a 20 year old 2 horse trailer with front 4 ft tack room all steel... its about 15ft probably and it weights close to 2200 pounds empty... it has electric brakes... ive towed it with two horse in it approx 1400 pounds a piece and probably a couple hundred pounds of saddles and tack. so thats about 5000 pounds... granted i didnt do any mountain pulling and i have the v8 but the explorer did a very good job of pulling it... and stopping it... just have to drive like your driving in the winter... leave lots of room for stopping and starting and realize that you wont be the quickest thing on the on ramp.... if you tow that much weight be prepared for some real low gas mileage though... i got about 10 pulling the horse trailer and our travel trailer which is taller and more wind resistance i got about 8.... i believe i was way over on the weight of the travel trailer (16ft double axle) ... of course in the winter i only get about 14 anyways not pulling anything so thats not to bad i guess... this 2.30 a gallon bullcrap is really getting old though when you have to fill up so often..

SarahS said:

Sarah

do you know where to dowload the owner's maniual ?

Back