Wiring Harness for aftermarket radio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring Harness for aftermarket radio

Thelt

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
I am trying to install an aftermarket CD player in my Explorer. I bought a wiring harness at Wal Mart so that I would not have to cut the factory connectors off. It listed my model Explorer as one it would work for. When I got it home though it would not work. The connectors are completely different. Mine came with the factory 6 disc in dash CD player. Any thoughts on how or where to find the right wiring harness?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

best buy,, or circuit city (if they are still open ) or most custom car audio shops will have the correct harness, make sure you tell the the year ,

So many places are going out of business, I don't know who to recommend. But there's always Crutchfield.

The one at Wal Mart said it would work but it did not. I am wondering if it takes something special since I had the 6 disc changer.

I found one that works at a local stereo store. The one that Advance Auto had did not work either even though it listed my Explorer.

If you go to a shop that specializes in car audio, it should be very easy to find one that fits

If you go to a shop that specializes in car audio, it should be very easy to find one that fits

That is what I ended up doing. It cost about twice as much as the one from Wal Mart but it worked.

Then...

That is what I ended up doing. It cost about twice as much as the one from Wal Mart but it worked.

It has to the right one if it costs that much... They know how to make you pay...

From what i found out if On the back of the radio if its black connectors they are called 'world plugs'; if grey then 'phase II' plugs.
The harness adapters are Metra 71-5700 or 70-5700 are for world plugs or black connectors on the radio, just bought a set . . . i do have the 2 extra 'big' plugs . . .

Back