Wiring harness question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring harness question.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '98 XLT
I just removed the factory radio out of my 98 Explorer XLT and I am not sure what kind of wiring harness to get. The connectors in the dash are a 21 pin (rectangular) and a 16 pin (square). The 21 pin appears to have everything run to it. The 16 pin has one (only one) gray wire with a black stripe down it. Is this just a ground?

The single gray wire is the abs speed pickup wire (speed controlled volume)and is on the 20 pin connector. The 16 pin connector has all power/speaker/etc. wire connections. This is the base audio system. I think you got connectors transposed. I assume you are putting in an aftermarket head unit. The Metra 71-1771 wire harness connects to the 16 pin connector and has pigtails to connect to the new head unit.

Hope this is what you need
Scucci

The single gray wire is the abs speed pickup wire (speed controlled volume)and is on the 20 pin connector. The 16 pin connector has all power/speaker/etc. wire connections. This is the base audio system. I think you got connectors transposed. I assume you are putting in an aftermarket head unit. The Metra 71-1771 wire harness connects to the 16 pin connector and has pigtails to connect to the new head unit.

Hope this is what you need
Scucci
Thanks, I appreciate the help. I did have them reversed (16 and 20 pin). What is all the talk about speed controlled volume though?

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I did have them reversed (16 and 20 pin). What is all the talk about speed controlled volume though?
That is where the volume is supposed to increase when you are travelling at highway speeds to compensate for the increase in wind/road noise, I believe.

Back