Wiring Help Needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring Help Needed

Hello all. I'm new here and new to Sport Trac's. 2 weeks ago I picked up a 2010 limited and the modding bug has already got me. I want to add a roof basket and some off road lighting. I want to have 4 pods up front and a 6" light bar for left, right, and rear. Does anyone see any issue with the way I plan on wiring things? I want as few wires as possible going up through the roof. I'm going to concentrically twist the power wires into a harness so it will only be the 5 wire power harness and the ground wire coming up through a dual wire waterproof pass through.

Here is the specs on the wire I will be using. https://www.prowireusa.com/tefzel-amperage-chart

Also where is a good spot to go through the firewall? Should I just go through the main harness grommet? Not sure how much extra space there is in there.

Any help is appreciated!

Light Wiring Diagram.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all. I'm new here and new to Sport Trac's. 2 weeks ago I picked up a 2010 limited and the modding bug has already got me. I want to add a roof basket and some off road lighting. I want to have 4 pods up front and a 6" light bar for left, right, and rear. Does anyone see any issue with the way I plan on wiring things? I want as few wires as possible going up through the roof. I'm going to concentrically twist the power wires into a harness so it will only be the 5 wire power harness and the ground wire coming up through a dual wire waterproof pass through.

Here is the specs on the wire I will be using. https://www.prowireusa.com/tefzel-amperage-chart

Also where is a good spot to go through the firewall? Should I just go through the main harness grommet? Not sure how much extra space there is in there.

Any help is appreciated!

View attachment 433636
welcome to EF! wow, thats gotta be one of the best diagrams ive seen!!!!!! kudos to you on that! looks good to me? ive looked at the main harness hole at least in my 2nd gen id have to remove the geommet fish it theough and then figure a way to bore it out a bit more, so can be done. or drill new hole and add a grommet. in my case i have a few running through the fender. it comes up under the driver kick panel next to the parking brake past fuse panel and into a place where the door wont pinch and through the fender and comes out and i run it just under the fender lip inside the engine bay put my fuse block there if you want pics let me know

welcome to EF! wow, thats gotta be one of the best diagrams ive seen!!!!!! kudos to you on that! looks good to me? ive looked at the main harness hole at least in my 2nd gen id have to remove the geommet fish it theough and then figure a way to bore it out a bit more, so can be done. or drill new hole and add a grommet. in my case i have a few running through the fender. it comes up under the driver kick panel next to the parking brake past fuse panel and into a place where the door wont pinch and through the fender and comes out and i run it just under the fender lip inside the engine bay put my fuse block there if you want pics let me know
Thank you! I wanted to be through with it and print it out for future reference just in case I need to service it.

Ok thanks! Picture would be great if you could post them!

Thank you! I wanted to be through with it and print it out for future reference just in case I need to service it.

Ok thanks! Picture would be great if you could post them!
not sure if these help its dark hahaha. must say, gotta be on eof the best diagrams though! props to you!

AC7DF416-B1A6-45E4-94A7-5260F86B0C14.jpeg 7DB5C9C4-D1D8-43DD-BA80-F72379BDE37C.jpeg 9353674D-6D40-4563-A960-5D0E3E40F2A3.jpeg 5C58C090-8740-4E2D-A4D6-97EF2DFA4692.jpeg

Thank you the definitely help! Thanks again. It was easy to make. There's a website called smart draw. I screen capped the diagram and brought it into MS paint and saved it from there.

why do you want separate switches for each roof light? Why not put all roof lights on one switch? That could mean just one power wire going through the sheet metal, or maybe just put the forward lights on one switch and the side and reverse 6" bars on a second switch?

That is how I would do it

Back