Wiring help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring help

Reaction score
City, State
Chandler, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Limited
For Christmas my wife got me a light that bolts to the license plate. It has reverse light as well as acting as a brake light. Not sure if this link will work so you can see it but maybe this will help describe what it is: Olympus Off Road

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out a way to wire this up to my 2017. From what I can tell, I need to tap into a rear taillight, fish the wire up to the top of the tailgate, fish it through the tailgate and out of it around where the license plate lights currently are. I have taken quite a bit apart to see if there is a way to do this but I'm getting stuck. Does anyone have any ideas for fishing these wires (three of them, ground and then one for the back up light and one for the brake light). If I take off the interior panel covers on the tailgate, will I see a clearer path for the wires?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Mike. :wave:
1st post since joining I see. I think no matter what, you will probably end up having to take the interior cover off the liftgate to route the wires.
I don't recall any member doing something similar so I can't point you to a previous post. Perhaps someone will be able to assist you. If you get it installed, please post a picture. Thanks.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Mike. :wave:
1st post since joining I see. I think no matter what, you will probably end up having to take the interior cover off the liftgate to route the wires.
I don't recall any member doing something similar so I can't point you to a previous post. Perhaps someone will be able to assist you. If you get it installed, please post a picture. Thanks.

Peter
Thanks!

I have searched and searched and didn't find anything either. I don't mind taking the panels all out but I was wondering if that would even help. Looks like I know what I'm doing over my lunch break today. :) I'll do it and let you all know what I find out. If nothing else, I will be able to at least tap into the third brake light so it can serve that function. I have dark tint on the windows so I was really hoping for extra light when reversing.

Thanks!

I have searched and searched and didn't find anything either. I don't mind taking the panels all out but I was wondering if that would even help. Looks like I know what I'm doing over my lunch break today. :) I'll do it and let you all know what I find out. If nothing else, I will be able to at least tap into the third brake light so it can serve that function. I have dark tint on the windows so I was really hoping for extra light when reversing.

It’s pretty easy if you can take the rear panels out, just know that to put back the bigger one can be tricky.
You can just pry the roof off after you take one of the sides (I recommend passenger side too) and you will se the conector that goes to the liftgate, it goes thru a rubber “hose” that you can fit 3 cables in for sure, the just keep taking the liftgate covers off and it will be easy. Careful with the clips I always break a couple and I’ve taken dozens of them off.
Good luck!

There’s not a factory trailer harness available to add to this?

Back