wiring offroad lights into fog lamps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wiring offroad lights into fog lamps

dersch6221992

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mounty
So today i finally put my offroad lights back on my truck. i this time wired them into the fog lamps tho. What i did was run a seperate ground from each offroad lights and then spliced the hot into the fog lamps. ran each offroad light right to fog lamp right vica versa. it worked great and it lit up. but not the problem is. i went to class tonight didn;t use them at all and when i turned my lights on after class they didn;t work only the headlights worked. so now my next thing is.... do i add a bigger fuse? i guess fuse #8 is the one for the fog lamps. im thinking bump it up a few amps and it should work? That or can i run the grounds to the fog lamps and the hot straight to the battery and solve the problem?

Any insight/ help/ personal expierence would be GREAT.

Thank you.

Don't use a larger fuse.
Don't continue to use them how you have them set up.
Go to the "lighting" section and search for the word "relay". Do some research and rewire them the proper way, or do it your way and carry a really large fire extinguisher in your truck.

I have had two lights on my stock switch for over a year, no problem. They also aren't huge off road Dick Cepeks or anything though. If you're doing more then two, or bigger, higher wattage off oad lights, then you're gonna want to use a relay to power them up off of the stock switch. By the way, there's a fuse in the fuse panel inside and one under the hood.

Using the ground off the stock harness and going directly to battery 12v will just keep them on all the time. The 12v is switched and ground is always grounded.

If the lights you added are no more than 55watts, you're fine using the factory wiring. DO NOT INSTALL A LARGER FUSE!!! There is obviously another issue if you blew the fuse. Double check all your connections for a short.

Back