• Register Today It's free!

Wiring Pin Outs

Stumpy

Reaction score
City, State
Round Rock, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I have a Head Unit and a 6 Disc Changer that I removed from a 97 Explorer. Does anyone have or know where I can find the Pin Out for the wiring connectors on both the HU and the Changer? The HU has a Single 8 Pin connector for power and speaker from HU and a double 8 pin (16 pins total) that runs to the changer. The changer has a double 8 pin connector on it. The wiring in the Explorer was not marked in any way nor was there any sort of diagram on the HU or changer. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Stumpy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

might i suggest a chilton or haynes :)

Stumpy,
Welcome to the site! Let me look through my Ford wiring book and see what I can find. You can always drive down and borrow the book. I'd also be glad to help with some projects :cool:

The book has all the diagrams. There are a lot of them, and they're complicated. You're gonna have to see it for yourself.

Also, I removed the 6disc from my 96 and have the harness still in the truck. You're welcome to it if the removal isn't too much of a PITA.

Thanks Alec

Alec,
Thanks for the information and the offer for the harness in your truck. However, from what I can tell it is a BIG PITA to get out of the truck. That's why I didn't even attempt to remove the harness.

What Ford Wiring book are you refering to? Can it be bought or is it available only to dealers/mechanics etc??? I have a 97 Explorer and a 99 F150 so having a book of this sort would not be a bad thing, unless of course it is very expensive. I have thought about the Chilton/Haynes manuals but in the past, especially with Fords that I have owned all my life and that do not always do the same thing twice when it comes to wiring, I have found that they are not always accurate (again not the books fault).

If it comes to it I may take you up on the offer to drive down and look at yours. Could I make copies of the peritnent pages? I think I will try a chilton/Haynes first to see if it is OK. Maybe it can get the major pin outs right like power and ground so I don't fry something, then I can do the rest by trial and error.

Thanks again.

It's a Ford vacuum/electrical shematic book mainly for mechanics. I got it off the net, but can't remember the site. Someone on here told me about it. It was like $25 though.

Be my guest to copy some pages out of it. Sometimes you have to stare at them for a while before they start to make sense.

Back