wiring problems with aftermarket tach | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wiring problems with aftermarket tach

351wExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 sport
hey, i have a autometer monster tach with shift lift. i have it mounted and am currently working on wiring it to my 351. well out of the back of the tach there are four wires, red, black, green, and a smaller white wire. well i thought the red was for the light, the black ground and the white for the tach pulse and i didnt have any idea what the green was for. well i ran power to the red and the shift light went on and the tach moved. after that i thought maybe red was the tach wire so i put power the the small white one and the backlight came on.. so thats two wires i know for sure, the ground and light.. now i just have a red and green to deal with. when power is put to the green nothing happens, when power is put to the red the shift light goes on and the tach moves backwards... any suggestions on where to run these would be a huge help..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Black is ground

Red is 12v key on

Green goes to coil negative or grey/orange wire at ECM.

White is for your light

ya positive on that, i mean i trust you but i want to make sure

thanks... it worked exellent, i hooked it up yesterday.. just curious i cant move my needle to set the shift light when the truck is off, does it have to be running? id fire it up and try it with it running but my truck isnt running right now

I think so. I've never installed one.

should the needle move when i crank it, because it doesnt?????

Back