• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Wish I could give myself a raise like them!

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
Wow, never thought I'd see that happen. The raise won't happen until next term, and those running against these people have some good dirt on them. "Mr. soandso voted for a raise, he's costing the taxpayers more money!"

woodychitwn

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited
Never seen this happen? It happens every year. It's called cost of living increase. On one hand they only took a 2.5% increase versus their usual 3.5%, on the other hand, a lot of Americans aren't getting raises because their companies can't afford to. I personally think they could have done without this year.

Iowa Hick

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomfield, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer
I personally think that congressman are overpaid anyway. By the time you figure in all the benefits we provide for them besides thier paycheck, they make a fortune. For instance did you know that we provide them with plants for thier offices? Thats right its not enough to provide the office we are buying them plants too. If you ask me, any congressional pay increases should be put on the ballot for voters to decide on.

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
woodychitwn said:
Never seen this happen? It happens every year. It's called cost of living increase. On one hand they only took a 2.5% increase versus their usual 3.5%, on the other hand, a lot of Americans aren't getting raises because their companies can't afford to. I personally think they could have done without this year.
Do they vote on the cost of living increase though? I didn't even know they got one, and if they did I think it would be automatic. Still though, us commoners don't get cost of living increases, and $150k a year should be enough for any of those people to live off.

98XOwner

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Eddie Bauer
Maybe they should be thinking about the 7.5 trillion dollars the US has in national debt right now instead of getting themselves raises. Cuz we are screwed when the baby boomers start retiring! ohh well just my opinion, people in D.C. dont care what happens to the future generations of America.

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
What you have to understand is we're paying these people to work for us as representatives, its only fair that they be compensated in a fashion that is somewhat comparable to what they'd be giving up in the private sector. A lot of senators are capable of making far more than $150,000 a year. You don't become a senator for the money. Plus in the private sector they wouldn't have to spend money to campaign for their jobs, unlike national elections costs aren't always covered by fundraising for local campaigns.

Take Dick Cheney, he is paid $203,000 or something like that according to the article, do you think he made more than that at Haliburton beforehand? Probably 3 times that. I'm paid $250,000 salary to be a VP at my company and we have 250 employees. Now that has been going down a little each year because of business being bad but I should get a raise this year. The president of my company makes 300k. Again, small company 250 employees.

Last edited:

R

rydinhigh

If they work 40 hours a week (standard work week in most cases) it comes out to be less than $2 an hour. I think they deserve it.

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
Stephen said:
What you have to understand is we're paying these people to work for us as representatives, its only fair that they be compensated in a fashion that is somewhat comparable to what they'd be giving up in the private sector. A lot of senators are capable of making far more than $150,000 a year. You don't become a senator for the money. Plus in the private sector they wouldn't have to spend money to campaign for their jobs, unlike national elections costs aren't always covered by fundraising for local campaigns.

Take Dick Cheney, he is paid $203,000 or something like that according to the article, do you think he made more than that at Haliburton beforehand? Probably 3 times that. I'm paid $250,000 salary to be a VP at my company and we have 250 employees. Now that has been going down a little each year because of business being bad but I should get a raise this year. The president of my company makes 300k. Again, small company 250 employees.
That's true, it's all about stroking your ego. And good job getting to where you are :thumbsup:

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Arizona legislators wanted to give themselves and the Governer a raise. Our Democratic governor, in what may be her only good move in office said that until the average person in this state starts making more money that she wouldn't accept a raise and that she reccomended that the legislators forgo their rasie as well.

Char recieved a 2.5% raise this year, her insurance went up 14.5% Many of the teachers in Char's school are bringing home less this year than last. Gotta love it...

MyExpWork

Reaction score
City, State
Camarillo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
woodychitwn said:

I agree 100%. Their COLA should be directly tied to the economy. If the average person in the PRIVATE sector did not get a COLA or a smaller amount it, their raise should be the same.

It would be interesting to see who voted which way.

woodychitwn

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited
Jake Howk said:
If you ask me, any congressional pay increases should be put on the ballot for voters to decide on.
Now that's not a bad idea...

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
MyExpWork said:
I agree 100%. Their COLA should be directly tied to the economy. If the average person in the PRIVATE sector did not get a COLA or a smaller amount it, their raise should be the same.
In theory this is the way its supposed to work. In a company setting the board will usually vote on what kind of raise to give salaried employees. We actually decided to volunteerly take pay cuts the past 2-3 years so that we could afford to give salaried workers like secretaries, order desk people, warehouse people a raise. Seeing that we're officers in the company we care about its future and the well being of our employees. What the congressman in the article proposed was not a bad idea. The way the package is designed the congressmen can't vote AGAINST a pay raise without voting AGAINST the pay raise all across the board for gov't workers. What he proposed was removing the pay raise for senators, representatives etc from the package and voting for it seperately. I don't see anything wrong with this. We would have loved to give ourselves a raise too, but then the company would go out of business and we'd be in a real spot. The government doesn't have to worry about that. Maybe they should...

That's true, it's all about stroking your ego. And good job getting to where you are
Thanks, but I don't understand how the situation has to do with stroking egos?

jared ajlouny

Reaction score
City, State
san jose, california
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4X4
Stephen said:

if i were u id be driving a lambo right now :D

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
These people know they're capable of more money, and have probably made more, but they want the publicity. Why go for the job that pays less than other jobs you've had and requires more work? It's all about the ego.

Iowa Hick

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomfield, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer
I know that these people are probably giving up more money elsewhere, but like you said they shouldn't be in this line of work for the money. By the time you figure in all of the benefits they get they are making way more than $150k. I have nothing against people that make alot of money, I hope to be one someday, but when that persons paycheck comes out of my pocket I think I should have a say in it. Ben Franklin thought that elected officials should not be paid at all, now I don't know if I would go that far, but I definately think they make too much right now.

Here are some links
Salaries and Benefits of US Congress Members
PBS Story

Right now I can't find a site that tells about all the other benefits that they get, I think we provide them with at least one house. I will keep looking and report back later.

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
huskyfan23 said:
These people know they're capable of more money, and have probably made more, but they want the publicity. Why go for the job that pays less than other jobs you've had and requires more work? It's all about the ego.
Not neccisarily. I have a coworker that is a city councilman where he lives, doesn't get paid anything it actually COSTS him money to do it, but he does because he enjoys it. Some people are just drawn to public service.

Plenty of people choose jobs where the work is harder and they get paid less because they find the work rewarding. Take nurses. Being a nurse is one of the hardest jobs you can have, and pays the least for the education yet I've met several nurses who chose it over being a doctor which oftentimes is less work for exponentially more pay. The academic Ph. D is the only advanced degree that will not pay for itself in earnings over your lifetime to recoup your educational costs. Many Ph.Ds are researchers or professors etc, jobs that require a lot of work most of us would shudder at, yet they do it happily where they could be making more money for less work other places.

Plus you've got to remember a lot of these people are independently wealthy. When you've had money as long as they have it doesn't seem as important anymore. I'm not saying all congresspeople are what they are out of love for what they do, but I believe most are.

Jake Howk said:
but when that persons paycheck comes out of my pocket I think I should have a say in it
Unfortunately it doesn't really work that way. We've elected these people to administrate our government, much like a board administrates the workings of a company. As a matter of definition they have to make decisions on all aspects of how the government runs, including what they will be paid. Board members in a company do the same thing they're just supposed to be responsible enough to properly make those decisions.

Last edited:

Iowa Hick

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomfield, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer
That all sounds good, but no one should ever be in a position to decide his own salary unless he is self employed. We have around 450 congressmen (can't remember the actual number). If each one of them earned $10,000 less than they do now that would save us over $4.5 million dollars. Most of them were millionaires before they were elected to congress. If they were only given the benefits they now recieve, housing, offices, staff, etc. then we would save over $71 million a year. Like I said earlier, I don't really think that we should totally do away with thier salaries, but I think that they could get by on say $90,000 plus benefits quite comfortably.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
People all over the United States who are not self employed decide their own salaries. Think about it this way, at some point someone has to decide his or her own salary on top of deciding the salaries of others. When you're in a board or I assume a congressional position you're not only deciding YOUR salary you're deciding the relative worth of your position. A lot of things have to be taken into effect like the general placement of the salary structure at your company compared to others, keeping positions of authority and power attractive to promote upward advancement. We had a problem for years at my company because salespeople would have to take a substantial pay cut in order to become management or officer level executives in the company. This kept me from accepting the offer that I did finally accept a few years back because it just made no sense, I would have to give up my commissioned pay in exchange for more work for less because of a policy that management level employees cannot continue any of their comission paid business relationships. This kept a lot of really good people out (such as myself) out of positions of real decision making power in the company because it wasn't financially lucrative. They finally relented and let me keep much of my comission business on top of my salary as an officer in the company. This decision cost the company money and cost lesser salespeople money in that they couldn't get their hands on free business but the company gained in the experience and leadership of several key people because of that decision.

To make a long story short you get what you pay for, and that includes in hiring. Nobody becomes a senator for the money, for the power sure but not for the money. That however does not mean that these people aren't worth a certain dollar figure. In voting for a pay raise congresspeople are also voting to maintain the integrity and capitalist standing of their position.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Stic-o People wish they were me on facebook. LOL! Exploring everything under the sun!! 7
B Nice wish! Exploring everything under the sun!! 1
P Wish my truck flexed like this! Exploring everything under the sun!! 5
R Wish this was my lunch break Exploring everything under the sun!! 9
james t wish i had my camera Exploring everything under the sun!! 6
E Wish My Horn Was This Loud... Exploring everything under the sun!! 7
Derrick C. Oh I wish I wasn't crippled!!!!!!! kinda long.... Exploring everything under the sun!! 29
Stic-o I wish I could do this with windows! Exploring everything under the sun!! 3
N Get well wish for NAK4AF Exploring everything under the sun!! 9
B Hilarious 'P.C.' Christmas wish for the masses Exploring everything under the sun!! 1
E I wish my car did this (video) Exploring everything under the sun!! 14
A Wish me luck!! Exploring everything under the sun!! 10
H Things our parents have found that we wish they didn't Exploring everything under the sun!! 51
Perry What did you get on the wish list Exploring everything under the sun!! 38
NoBoundaries What's on you wish list? Exploring everything under the sun!! 22
Brian1 I wish I would have been in my Explorer Exploring everything under the sun!! 2
F Getting myself into trouble... (noisemakers) Exploring everything under the sun!! 7
R Screwed myself at the DMV today Exploring everything under the sun!! 26
R newb, intruducing myself Exploring everything under the sun!! 0
D Hvac911 and myself featured in Trucks from C4AC Exploring everything under the sun!! 10
Stic-o Kicking myself after not jumping on a great deal. Exploring everything under the sun!! 3
X Im proud of myself Exploring everything under the sun!! 19
H Bought myself a new camera Exploring everything under the sun!! 3
Doug Well, I almost earned myself a Darwin Award yesterday... Exploring everything under the sun!! 20
Stephen Ordered myself a new car Exploring everything under the sun!! 7
D Help my G/F raise money for breast cancer! Exploring everything under the sun!! 1
Creager Gas prices expected to raise 30 more cents a gallon for april Exploring everything under the sun!! 72
B Will a speeding ticket raise your Insurance rates? Exploring everything under the sun!! 6