Witch MT's to sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Witch MT's to sport?

Ok I have been shopping around for tires and someone posted a link to www.tires.com so I hopped over there. When I found some really good prices now for the hard part which one should I by. I know that I need something that has a very strong side wall and mucho aggressive tread patern. I also dont want to spend the money for the bfg m/t's. So should i get the geolander m/t's or the goodyear mtr's? there is a bout a $15 dollor per tire differance goodyears being more of course. My big thing is I want a stronger tire and I dont know anyone that runs the Yoko's but have seen many people run the MTR's including pro rock guys. So please give me your 2cents worth of info on these two types of tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also a tire to consider is ProComp. 4wheelparts carries them and they are actually owned by the same company, so 4wp has good prices on them.

i cant believe that the mtr is cheaper than the bfg, usually the mtr is much more expensive, i'd definately go with the mtr......

Mark, are these to go on your Ex?

I'd get the MTR's over the Yoko's. I've seen many reports of the Yoko's wearing out fast on this and other boards.

If you're not in a rush, I say look around for used tires.

Yes they are for my Ex and thank you for the responses. I have been looking for used ones and just havent seen any thing in the local area that I would consider a deal. I still have some time before I really have to have the tires, cause my buddy with the lifted jeep is deployed for a few months. He said I could run his procomp xterains till i get my new tires. I was not realy impressed with his tires on that jeep cause they seem to stiff and his jeep dont flex very well at all. But maybe runing them on my ex will change my mind on them. Thank you again for your help.

mark

PS if anyone is going to be getting new tires soon. Contact me if your old tires still have some use on them. I am on a tight budget and getting all 4 at one time would be better than getting 2 per month.

i cant believe that the mtr is cheaper than the bfg, usually the mtr is much more expensive, i'd definately go with the mtr......

They're more expensive than the BFGs if you get them in 32s! WTF?

I love my ProComp X-Terrains in case you're wondering.

I love my Dueler M/Ts, smooth and quiet for and M/T and great in the dirt. You can carry on a normal conversation at freeway speeds and they are grippy in the wet.

--Sean

Wasn't your Jeeper friend running 33s on that Wrangler? If you are gonna borrow them, does that mean you put on a lift?

Don't forget the Kumho Venture MT

alot of guys are not giving enough credit to the Kumho Venture MTs, wich were tested at this web site
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/products/kumho/

they were given excellent marks...

also these are the tires i run and they are around 30-50 dollars cheeper than goodyears, bridgestones, bf's, and pro-comps comparable tires....

i run these tires myself and can attest for there strength...
check out my page here>Dead Link Removed

or just click on my homepage for more info.... also look into getting your tires from tirerack they are cheeper however do not say they are for your explorer...
email or pm me if you have any questions...
anthony

Yes, I am in the midst of piecing together a 6" lift for my Ex. Hoping that my tax returns come in this week so I can spend them all.:bounce: If all goes well I will be rolling up to TDS in a Ex with a new attitude.

Just to throw this out there. I have Mud kings which are the old style BFG mud. THe only disadvantge is that they are 2 ply sidewall. But if you go the desert the 2 ply should do fine. Plus i bought 35's for 139 a piece and that was mounted and balanced per tire. So the tire was around 128. Which is ALOT cheaper than the bfg. I just went through the whole issue of tires. Plus the tire place had 3 months no interest on the CC.

i think that i will be going with the tires mdlrvenom
is running. I looked them up on www.tirerack.com and they only run $102.00 for MT's and $90.00 for AT's. Talked to the wife about it last night and she agrees that for the price I really cant beat them. Plus all the ratings on them are really high. I will probly get the AT's first for my stock rims for daily drivings. Then pick up the MT's later for my XLT rims for my weekend outings. Thank you again for all your input.

The vast amount of friendship and experiance is why I really enjoy this board and the trips that I have made with the members of this group.

Mark

Back