Wits End - Coolant Leak | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wits End - Coolant Leak

At this point, I am not sure of anything except the sun which did rise in the east again today. When I first spotted the "liquid" on the floor two weeks ago, it was definitely antifreeze. Tasted so sweet that I do not think any appreciable water was mixed in. Also, I do think you are right about the compressor running at times due to humidity in the cabin. Yesterday when I was running around getting estimates, I did not use the heater. It was fairly warm a quite humid. It also was raining on the way home. Obviously, a lot of water was dripping off the car. This morning, the floor is as dry as can be.

I have thought of another thing that I question. When installed, the core sits flat at the bottom and the tubes rise above it and exit near the top of the firewall. So that means, there is always coolant in the core even with the heat turned off. With the heat turned off, if just sits there and of course it is not circulating. Also, no pressure. So, it would seem to me that a large leak would drip out all the time even when the car is parked overnight.. So, if I am right about this, it seems like if I have a leak, it is small and only leaks under pressure. I suppose it is possible that I had a leak and gunk in the cooling system plugged it up and it is okay for now.

I will be on the road with the car for about two hours today and the temp will be in the upper sixties. So, I will run the heater some and see what drips and analyze quickly before whatever would have a chance to dry up. I will also really try to see if I can smell coolant with the heat on.

I will hold off using any kind of stop leak magic for now.

That is this morning's update.

Dave
View attachment 342694

"Tasted so sweet that I do not think any appreciable water was mixed in."

It's my understanding that antifreeze now has to be bitter tasting so animals and kids won't drink it.

"Tasted so sweet that I do not think any appreciable water was mixed in."

It's my understanding that antifreeze now has to be bitter tasting so animals and kids won't drink it.
Uh......Blackhawkxx this does not apply to adults.........................we can drink anything we want after 5PM.....prob
would not be a good idea to lick the floor mat.....

At this point, I am not sure of anything except the sun which did rise in the east again today. When I first spotted the "liquid" on the floor two weeks ago, it was definitely antifreeze. Tasted so sweet that I do not think any appreciable water was mixed in. Also, I do think you are right about the compressor running at times due to humidity in the cabin. Yesterday when I was running around getting estimates, I did not use the heater. It was fairly warm a quite humid. It also was raining on the way home. Obviously, a lot of water was dripping off the car. This morning, the floor is as dry as can be.

I have thought of another thing that I question. When installed, the core sits flat at the bottom and the tubes rise above it and exit near the top of the firewall. So that means, there is always coolant in the core even with the heat turned off. With the heat turned off, if just sits there and of course it is not circulating. Also, no pressure. So, it would seem to me that a large leak would drip out all the time even when the car is parked overnight.. So, if I am right about this, it seems like if I have a leak, it is small and only leaks under pressure. I suppose it is possible that I had a leak and gunk in the cooling system plugged it up and it is okay for now.

I will be on the road with the car for about two hours today and the temp will be in the upper sixties. So, I will run the heater some and see what drips and analyze quickly before whatever would have a chance to dry up. I will also really try to see if I can smell coolant with the heat on.

I will hold off using any kind of stop leak magic for now.

That is this mornings update.

Dave
i had old trucks and cars in past i have used coolant sealer it works sometimes. but if it did not it did not harm the system at all . i just would not use multiple cans though.. not applicable on this use. but i had the 3.8 1984 ford v6 cast iron block and aluminum heads the silver sealer actually did seal slight head leaks

Back