Wobble in steering at low speeds

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
2014 Explorer Sport with 52k. Still on stock Hankook tires.

I recently had the control arms replaced with OEM parts and then the rear hydro bushing with a Moog part. Put 500 miles on the car and no issues.

Yesterday, I noticed that the steering wheel would wobble slightly around 40-50mph. It wasn't a fast wobble, just noticed it moving a bit back and forth. Never noticed it before. It's generally smooth at other speeds. I have not had the tires/rims balanced in about 8k. It's probably time for that anyway.

This morning, I removed the two front tires/rims and put on my snow tires/rims and drove the vehicle and there was no wobble. That tells me it is likely the tires/rims I had on originally - OEM Sport rims with the original OEM Hankook tires.

I can't get to the tire shop for a week due to my schedule. I guess I'm looking for validation of my concern. As I removed the tires/rims, I did not notice any bends in the rims, or bulges in the tires. I also noticed no odd tire wear. Smooth and even tire wear other than some minor dry rotting on the outside edges of the tires. I suspect one, or both, tire/rims are out of balance. Or, I have a broken/slipped belt in the same. I question my logic, just a bit, though as I've always known tire balance issues to surface at a higher speed - 60mph+. Is it possible tire balance would be causing this at 40-50mph?

I am sure my tire shop will be able to tell a lot more on their Hunter 9700 RoadForce machine - i.e., too much road force, slipped/broken belt or simply out of balance. As I mentioned, I just can't get there for a week. So, I was looking for validation on my thought process.

Thanks, all!
Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2014 Explorer Sport with 52k. Still on stock Hankook tires.

I recently had the control arms replaced with OEM parts and then the rear hydro bushing with a Moog part. Put 500 miles on the car and no issues.

Yesterday, I noticed that the steering wheel would wobble slightly around 40-50mph. It wasn't a fast wobble, just noticed it moving a bit back and forth. Never noticed it before. It's generally smooth at other speeds. I have not had the tires/rims balanced in about 8k. It's probably time for that anyway.

This morning, I removed the two front tires/rims and put on my snow tires/rims and drove the vehicle and there was no wobble. That tells me it is likely the tires/rims I had on originally - OEM Sport rims with the original OEM Hankook tires.

I can't get to the tire shop for a week due to my schedule. I guess I'm looking for validation of my concern. As I removed the tires/rims, I did not notice any bends in the rims, or bulges in the tires. I also noticed no odd tire wear. Smooth and even tire wear other than some minor dry rotting on the outside edges of the tires. I suspect one, or both, tire/rims are out of balance. Or, I have a broken/slipped belt in the same. I question my logic, just a bit, though as I've always known tire balance issues to surface at a higher speed - 60mph+. Is it possible tire balance would be causing this at 40-50mph?

I am sure my tire shop will be able to tell a lot more on their Hunter 9700 RoadForce machine - i.e., too much road force, slipped/broken belt or simply out of balance. As I mentioned, I just can't get there for a week. So, I was looking for validation on my thought process.

Thanks, all!
Shumax

"This morning, I removed the two front tires/rims and put on my snow tires/rims and drove the vehicle and there was no wobble."

Nothing to worry about.
Get the alloys balanced and you should be good to go.

Sounds like it could be a bad tire. I don't think a wobble would occur due to being out of balance. That usually results in a vibration and not a back and forth motion in the steering wheel, at least with my experience. I've noticed a 'balance' issue at lower speeds before in the Winter when wet snow got caught up in the spokes of the wheel and froze overnight.

Peter

So, I just drove 5 hours on the highway at 70-80mph today. No appreciable vibes. Even when slowed to those speeds to get gas/food, no shaking. Very odd. Were the rims not perfectly centered on the hubs from the control arm replacement and I just now noticed the wobble? Not sure. Then again, could a separated belt in a tire cause a coming and going condition like this?

I have an oil change in 2k and will address it then regardless.

Will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the input!!

Completed my five hour trip back. Shimmy/wobble now happens between 50-63mph nearly every time I am there. Nothing above or below though. Definitely seems like wheel balance. Have it checked out next Friday...

Back