Wolf's '93 Sport Getting A '94 'stang 5.0 and 4R70W '99 v8 X tranny | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wolf's '93 Sport Getting A '94 'stang 5.0 and 4R70W '99 v8 X tranny

Wolf's '93 Sport Getting A '94 'stang 5.0 and 4R70W '99 v8 X tranny (Completed)

Pre-note, now that I have confused everyone with a name change, took me a while to find my real login seeing I forgot what it was in the 2 years since I had last used it :) but I'm back!... now on with the show...

Ok, in the first thread I started (link here soon as I figure out how..) I was taking suggestions on what to use for the swap, well, now my mind is made up... and here is whats on it :D

Engine: '94 5.0lt EFI mustang motor, w/ all accories around 70k miles on it, need to get more info from the person I'm getting it from
-going with the '94 due to the shorter front for the much needed space in the X

Wiring:
Motor: '93 mustang harness, EEC-IV -going this route because of the EEC-IV adapts to mods much better then the post '94 computers
-going to wire the harness myself, that way its wired the way I want it, and run underhood the way I want

Trans: Baumann Engineering TCS, this unit will stand alone control the Aod-E/4R70W trans, unit using some of the EEC wiring for data to control the shift points and thottle kick down
-I dont think anyone else has gone this route, so I'll keep everyone up to date on how it works out

Trans/T-Case:
Trans: 4R70W, brand new '99 5.0 Explorer Trans *will not bolt up to the B/W 1350 t-case* also I dont know what the length is yet, still wating on them, if this trans is way over/under 29" overall its out and I'll be going with a Aod-E and a AA tailshaft kit

T-Case: Seeing that the 4R70W will not bolt up the b/w 1350 T-Case with out adapter, I'm looking to go with a Atlas T-Case, yeah it cost alot, but I'm already putting in a better motor/trans... why stop there *1 (see foot note)

Swap Adapters/kits:
This is the only part I cant make up my mind on =) I like the look of the L&L mounts, might end up going with duff for some of the other stuff also, I'll figure this out in the next 2 weeks

Overview: *1 (see foot note)
Reasons I have for going this route with this swap..
Well... I have a few reasons for going electronic with the trans, I really like the idea of being able to set the shift points, converter lockup, turning the OD on/off with a button. As for the hard parts of the trans, its a newer model year, parts should be easyer to find, from what i have heard its one of the stronger ones also, the lower gearing is a big plus, thats less $$ I need to spend on regearing the front and rear diffs untill I go over 31" tires and it should give the truck better highway/road performance. The T-Case... Atlas II 3.8:1 that speaks for itself :D , few of the hidden advantages to the atlas t-case is I can pull the ford t-case control box out of my rear sail panel which would give enough room probably for a onboard air compressor....
More info and PICTURES! to follow (I would have pics of the duff 2.5" stage 2 install, but I didnt want to kill my digital cam)

FootNote!
*1- results may vary on a person to person basis ;)

General Disclamer: Most info I have I have gathered in the last 2 weeks, most people wont agree with the Aod-E tranny, if ya dont like it, pay me way too much money and do the swap the way you think it should be done :p
All reasons and overview are my opinion, Please try not to spam this thread with flames

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have more pic to post when i have time =) truck runs great, hopefully this weekend I'll be swapping in a newer disk brake rear and 4 door spring packs, my drive shaft problems were a easy fix, just needed a 41" rear shaft :) (i think it was 41" or something like that)
at the moment I'm trying to figure out if i should keep the abs or ditch it and if I should go bigger on the tire size...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Don't forget about your lil problem with the throttle cable.. I bet that was fun..

hows the project coming?

That Xfer case was really $2000+?

Yup the Atlas 3.8:1 transfer case is $2000.. Then again with the crawl ratio on it, its worth the price.

done yet? any final pics?

flex1.jpg

wolfdarkness.jpg

Sideshot.jpg

truck has been done for months now, photos are scattered around, and I dont have many of the finished install (not that much can be seen) I'll try to get some up after I get my shop up and running

More Pics! finally

OK got off my ass and loaded new pics finally

The engine bay
v8swap1.jpg

Pass side header which needed cutting to clear the tranny fittings (cleaned the welds up some with my tig welder)
v8swap2.jpg

The monster "Y" pipe after cleaning welds and some high temp paint
v8swap3.jpg

Another shot of how cramped the motor is...
v8swap4.jpg

Closer shot of the intake and fit...
v8swap5.jpg

Drool on it! the 5.0 HO plate, you can also see the lokar throttle cable and my cruse control cable, mess of hoses and what not
v8swap6.jpg

Looks great. That's a big a$$ air filter!

Thats awesome. Whats next step, solid? :D

yeah that a ford thunderbird 92-93 k&n filter (i think) I'll double check later

JDraper said:
Hey, I recognize that truck! :D :D

You might not after I get done with the next phase of work I have planned on it, ttb, front bumper and rear bumper are all comeing off in the next few days, going to cut/turn the ttb, gusset/plate it, and build new front and rear bumpers, rock sliders, rear true false floor storage and maybe a few other little goodies :D

Keep us updated please!
:)

Am very interested in how cutting/turning the ttb goes!

Savage, awesome work so far and I can't wait to see the next round of mods. I've got a couple of questions though. Did you need to purchase any special adapters to mate the atlas to the 4R70W? Or did you just talk to AA about what you had and what you wanted so they could put a "kit" together for you? Sorry for all the questions but my AWD t-case is on its way out (popping and grinding noises) and the wife agreed to me getting an atlas! :D I am trying to find out as much as I can about what all is needed for the swap. Thanks!

3 months later.... yes the atlas was ordered to bolt right to the 4r70w tranny, it was either spend the $$ for a new tranny, a adapter kit for the stock t-case off the pos tranny and paying a shop to install the kit or the atlas, atlas won :p if you read the thread from the start its all in here.. along with the mesurements of the atlas

I want an Atlas :(

How was installing the Atlas Shift linkage around the 4r70w???

the wheels are turning........

410Fortune said:
I want an Atlas :(

How was installing the Atlas Shift linkage around the 4r70w???

the wheels are turning........

well... it doesnt hit.. well doesnt hit anything important, and the best part
1: no need to buy a tailshaft kit to change the pattern to the BW 4.0 t-case (and you dont weaken the tailshaft by putting in a lower spline count)
2: its about 1"-2" inches longer then the a4ld+bw1350 t-case (its a 1350 in the stock 1st gens right? i dont remember any more lol)
i have pics of the clearance somewhere in this thread, or i can bundle up in my sub-zero gear and take a pic if needed :rolleyes:

Back