Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
What is it with women and oil? Here’s my story

A while back when big SUV’s were cool, my mom got a Ford Expedition from carmax. Being my mom’s truck, she was the only one who drove it. Apparently the check oil light was on for a while. Sure enough, going long enough with this damaged the engine and we had to get the truck towed away as scrap since the engine ceased.

Fast forward a year, my sister had a Chevy Malibu. Same thing- check oil light came out long enough, ceased motor. Scrap yard.

Fast forward to just two minutes ago. A coworker of mine has a Chevy Impala. Says she has gone 2 YEARS without an oil change. She says she only changes it when the light comes on. She said the light goes on and off now so she doesn’t think anything is wrong. I told her to change her oil ASAP! She said she never got the oil change because she always has better things to do and the cars still run.

Women and getting an oil change, I don’t get it! Ok- I’m done venting now. Don’t even get me started on people who complain about money, but smoke a pack of cigs a day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Well if the oil light comes on - wouldn't you think another light would come on when it's really really low"

"I thought the oil pressure gauge was there to tell you how much oil is in the engine"

"I don't change the oil -- it's a lease"

All things MEN/customers said when I worked at Valvoline.

Stupidity definitely crosses gender lines.

LOL! I guess I am just speaking from personal experience. It just hurts my head when people can't change the oil, but complain when things aren't working correctly.

And Raga- you're correct. My boss likes to chime in on car discussions, but has no idea how to change his oil. :p

I changed my sister's oil once, I asked her how long it had been since the last change...ended up being well over 10k on standard dino oil.

Which begs the question - progressively thinking out loud: why do we need to do oil changes so frequently and why do we need to take time off in order to take it to a shop or do it ourselves? Should not the system be able to take care of itself or at least employ another automated system to perform the task? Because the task isn't actually that difficult and there is plenty of "down time" when the vehicle is sitting on the driveway or in the garage when the oil could be changed automatically. I don't mind doing oil changes on my vehicles but it's monotonous and I'm not learning anything from the experience (lack of creativity) so personally, I don't really value the exercise much. Yes we there are some things that we have to do in life but when we have to repeat them over and over, then maybe its time to think about automation. My $0.02.

IZWACK- I tried to click delete user. It didn’t work? ;-p

Very true, but I guess it’s like clothes. There is a lot of down time of them sitting in my hamper, but they don’t do themselves. I personally don’t mind changing my oil. I make a little fun thing out of it. Change the oil, check all fluid levels. Clean any dirt caked onto the motor. Maybe take the air filter out and hit it a few times to clean it. Check other misc stuff. For me, it’s a reason to get out of the house. But for me, it’s so easy and just standard, I don’t see why people don’t do it. They have 20 min oil change places for crying out loud.

IZWACK- I tried to click delete user. It didn’t work? ;-p
It only works for those who have faced war, famine, pestilence, and death - in that order, no mixing, can't face death before pestilence. :p:

It only works for those who have faced war, famine, pestilence, and death - in that order, no mixing, can't face death before pestilence. :p:

Haha well dang- there goes that!

You know, speaking of automation- I want to get one of those Roomba’s that vacuum the floor for you. That’s one weekend chore I can cut out for cleaning up the apartment. They also have one for the lawn now too.

If only I could get one to go to work for me…

Running a quick lube for a few years you see a lot of people come through the door with a lot of excuses of why people refuse to do different services. It was everyone under the sun telling me the standard oil change was good enough for them either every 10k or 15K on conventional oil. The words "transmission flush" were never mentioned.

It all has to do with education about vehicle maintenance and what people should expect from their vehicles. In the 40s and 50s a regular tune up every 15K was common with a complete tear down of the engine. Now with technology on todays cars and trucks you can go 100K on just certain fluids let alone replacing a set of pistons.

Just my $0.02 :D

wow, it's hard for me to believe that people just ignore those lights. Personally, I haven't gone over 100 miles past due for my oil changes, but I cannot speak for the previous owner. I can only hope she was a responsible person.

Running a quick lube for a few years you see a lot of people come through the door with a lot of excuses of why people refuse to do different services. It was everyone under the sun telling me the standard oil change was good enough for them either every 10k or 15K on conventional oil. The words "transmission flush" were never mentioned.

It all has to do with education about vehicle maintenance and what people should expect from their vehicles. In the 40s and 50s a regular tune up every 15K was common with a complete tear down of the engine. Now with technology on todays cars and trucks you can go 100K on just certain fluids let alone replacing a set of pistons.

Just my $0.02 :D

Wow I never knew this! I couldn't imagine tearing down a vehicle every 15k. I bet that made people appreciate what they owned a lot more!

I will admit, I am bad when it comes to transmission flushing, but I run an external oil filter on mine so I add a fresh qt every 3k.

My mom ran the family's '88 Jeep Cherokee too low on oil. That motor got rebuilt.

My wife, then fiance, was driving her Saturn S-series (a known oil burner) around on about 1.5 qts of oil (4 qts is the capacity). Luckily that didn't damage anything. I ran that car around a road course in OK (Hallett) at full throttle with race slicks many times without issue.

I have a friend who when he interviews someone for a job, he asks them what size their oil drain plug is (he's an engineer). If they can't answer that question, his opinion of their engineering ability is greatly reduced.

Which begs the question - progressively thinking out loud: why do we need to do oil changes so frequently and why do we need to take time off in order to take it to a shop or do it ourselves? Should not the system be able to take care of itself or at least employ another automated system to perform the task? Because the task isn't actually that difficult and there is plenty of "down time" when the vehicle is sitting on the driveway or in the garage when the oil could be changed automatically. I don't mind doing oil changes on my vehicles but it's monotonous and I'm not learning anything from the experience (lack of creativity) so personally, I don't really value the exercise much. Yes we there are some things that we have to do in life but when we have to repeat them over and over, then maybe its time to think about automation. My $0.02.

I am half way there to developing just such a system... You see my Bronco leaks/burns aproximately a quart a week... with a bit of tubing and a boat gas tank and some sort of drip feed valve I will never have to add/check or change it again :confused::D:eek::bounce:

I am half way there to developing just such a system... You see my Bronco leaks/burns aproximately a quart a week... with a bit of tubing and a boat gas tank and some sort of drip feed valve I will never have to add/check or change it again :confused::D:eek::bounce:

Wow that's a lot of burnt oil!

2TimingTom- I never even thought of measuring the size of my oil plug. Any idea what the size is on a 99 ford explorer?

meh :dunno: -- I drive about 200 + miles a day - a good bunch in chicago stop n go traffic. plus rear main started leaking when I switched to full synthetic

My first car was an LTD Brohm and that leaked oil like a stuck pig. Every 45 miles the oil light was on.

Wow that's a lot of burnt oil!

2TimingTom- I never even thought of measuring the size of my oil plug. Any idea what the size is on a 99 ford explorer?

I'm pretty sure it takes a 14mm wrench...

Speaking of boats and automation, a lot of boats have permanently mounted oil change pumps connected to the oil pan. To drain the oil, simply put the pump's hose in a empty jug, turn on. To refill, stick that same hose in a jug of clean oil and run the pump in reverse.

And not all women are clueless about oil changes, Christi changes the oil in our Jetta with me, and we don't have to get under the car to extract the oil or change the filter. :)

My friend's Ex GF almost blew up her Corolla engine because she went a couple years without an oil change.

Better story: My roommate was driving through a college parking lot picking up a friend when he noticed a young female with a funnel fed into her gas tank. She was standing there pouring a couple quarts of oil into said funnel. He ran over and asked her what the hell she was doing and she politely informed him that she was changing her oil.

:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice, maybe that's why some cars sound like a two stroke weed eater :D

Back